IT'S BANNED BOOKS WEEK. READ A BANNED BOOK TODAY.

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2022 06:32 am
Particularly now, when some real classics are under fire.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 599 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2022 06:32 am
@edgarblythe,
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2022/08/17/lgbtq-books-patmos-library-jamestown-twp/10297902002/
0 Replies

RPhalange

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2022 12:56 pm
And in some rooms teachers have their own "library" where they allow students to pick a book that they would like to read. Unfortunately now they need to do submit a spreadsheet with all their books, author, etc. and until this is done and approved they are not allowed to let their students read their books.

It really is tough as this is a lot of work and all the teacher is doing is encouraging reading. I mean you are hiring these teachers - you need to trust them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2022 03:37 pm
Amazing how people can be against censorship until you touch their hot button and suddenly -
I touched of a bit of a storm by mentioning the film Carousel. It's okay to not like it, but these people want it removed. There are plenty of books and movies I dislike or even despise but I don't advocate censoring your right to make up your own mind.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 07:33 am
The only banned books over here are terrorist manuals, stuff like that.

Why would anyone want to ban Carousel?

I mean it's not particularly good but I can't see whats offensive.

It's just another case of fundamentalists trying to impose their disgusting religion on the rest of us.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 08:05 am
@izzythepush,
About Carousel:
People likely judge it from a personal perspective. As one who spent his early life being consistently abused, I could accept the premise of the film. I was happy with the final resolution. Is abuse wrong? Of course. But a fact of life? Absolutely.

That was my reply to some who hold that Carousel lets an abuser off the hook. I can see why they think it and why they are offended, but we all should be allowed our different perspectives.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2022 08:15 am
@edgarblythe,
You'll Never Walk Alone is the stacium znthem fir Liverpool FC
0 Replies