Philosophical Implications of Quantum Physics & Relativity

satt fs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:28 am
GitVonGat..
Godel's solution to the equation of General Theory was about a global model of the universe, and it is already determined that actual observable universe is not like the figure which his solution described. Humans live in local spacetime not in the global one.
Humans acknowledge time in their life, and theories of physics are merely models of mathematical systems.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:29 pm
So-o-o-o, Godel and Bell, seem to have gotten hold of my notes, huh? Cool

Okay I'm going to try that link again, anyway.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 04:05 pm
Satt,
...I got the link, read a bit, and filed it away before my head exploded. ( Wish I would have taken physics before I dropped out. I've always regretted that.) I will return to it, because what I could decipher was fascinating.
...BTW, in memory, time is often a very incoherent factor. I have often had events juxtaposed, and overlapping, in my reveries.
...Think of a computors memory. It's all laid out, and you can go to any part and bring it up.. This can cause you to obfuscate time of entries, and time has no relevance, unless you want to recall things chronologically.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 05:26 pm
Booman..
In human experience, memories can work in parallel and nonlinear time. This applies in particular when reading a poem or watching a picture, while playing music is concerned with the linear time. Rhythm cannot use paralle time even when in the case of polyrhythm. Multi rhythms must work simultaneously in a single time passage.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 08:06 pm
True- You can't get a disagreement from me on that.

You're preaching to the percussionist! Cool
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 08:17 pm
I am not preaching, but trying to get one reminded of the fundamental facts of life.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:10 pm
Sorry about that Satt,
...I was paraphrasing an old saying. "preaching to the choir". It means telling something to someone who's aware of it. I paraprased, because I am a percussionist, and I fully understood, and agreed with what you were saying.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 05:39 am
Booman..
I am sorry, I didn't have the slightest idea of your being a percussionist, and did not think you meant it in the former post. I know I should not have talked much about time to a professional percussionist. I regret it.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 03:32 pm
No,no, for you to bring that in was valid and helpful. I mean, c'mon I'm here talkin' physics, with scholars. Rolling Eyes BTW, I was a profesional entertainer, I only studied drumming, and rhythmns, to write music. I never actually got paid for drumming, I just sat in with groups and kept a little time.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:56 am
OK - That took some reading.

My studies (a while ago) gave me the understanding that there was one measure which always increased with time: Entropy.

Entropy is the degree of disorder. As time progresses, disorder always increases. Hence time can be said to have real meaning.

There is a corollary to this - entropy increases so long as the universe increases. If the universe "expands" to its maximum and begins to contract, entropy will decrease and therefore (in theoretical terms, at least) time will go backwards to point zero.

I don't know the names of the physicists, philosophers etc. upon whose theories I have drawn, here. I'm better at ideas than facts!

As our own existence is such a brief moment in the universal scale of time/space, we can use the progression of certain items from a state of higher energy to lower energy (i.e. increase in disorder, as the energy is dispersed) to form a linear progression which we call time. For example, atomic clocks (the most "accurate" timepieces) depend on the degeneration of atoms into a lower energetic state to give their "count" of time.

The scale of the passage of time between the smallest point of the universe and the largest point is such that we need not worry about a shift in the rate of degeneration of atoms, or other changes in the rate of entropy increase. So the passage of time remains constant, in any perceptible terms.

(That's the first time I've ever thought about differentiating time by time: TdT !!!). Laughing
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 01:42 pm
The atomic clock application is an example of rhythmn, being the foundation of time, or timing.
0 Replies

ROCHO

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 02:21 pm
Hello all, this is my first post on A2k. I am glad to have found such interesting site:
here is my personal opinion:

1.- No we have not, time is one of the most fundamental truths that we can conceive, it is intimately connected to gravity and acceleration
2.-Other assumptions that our belief systems rests upon include the existance of a supreme "being" that created us, traditioaly believed "in HIS image"
3.-One of the most difficult things to do is to study a system from within; the closest thing we have is scientific method
4.-Without time nothing conceivable can exist. It could be argued that free will is an assumption but I think that we can agree that its not, one can forge ones destiny (how boring would life be otherwise!)
5.-I dont think that the legal system should change considering the lack of free will, just because a murderer "could not" help but commit the crime, it should not mean that he or she should be free to do it again
6.-Oh this is a good one: a mere ilusion? like a shadow on a cave wall
7.-For one we cannot conceive infinite sets, we can represent them but not really conceive. Infinity is nothing and everything at the same time, that is the closest true definition I can come up with
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 03:28 pm
Quote, "6.-Oh this is a good one: a mere ilusion? like a shadow on a cave wall" Now, this one looks like something from a philosophy class. Wink
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:57 pm
I only read the first 10 posts or so, so this might have been dealt with already, but I'm just correcting the view that QM and relativity say that time does not exist. They do not say this in any way. Relativity implies that time is not universally viewed and that the observance of it is dependent on the observer. As time slows down, however, the rate of perceived observation slows down, so time will always seem to pass at the same rate. Time exists as a dimension that changes in observation under relativistic conditions.
0 Replies