Philosophical Implications of Quantum Physics & Relativity

Booman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:06 pm
Deep.... Cool
0 Replies

nelsonn

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:16 pm
It seems to me that since quantum effects operate only on an atomic or subatomic level, implications for macro systems would be (in a technical sense) infinitesimal.
0 Replies

nelsonn

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:17 pm
It seems to me that since quantum effects operate only on an atomic or subatomic level, implications for macro systems would be (in a technical sense) infinitesimal.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 09:21 pm
In quantum mechanics equations are formulated in determinstic ways. The concept of probability only tells about ignorance of mechanism behind and about belief of humans.
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:49 pm
Booman wrote:
when you make a decision, it's the only possible one , based on your knowledge, intellect, and experience, and whatever circumstances, are prevalent

I have come to this conclusion as well with memory as my self-evident truth.

Total Recall, Memento, Matrix et al reinforce the claim that memory is our basis for perceiving, understanding, and participating in whichever reality/experiences we have acquired. Recent discoveries in neurophysiology (neuroplasticity) support these artistic representations.

Though our mental map of reality may be incorrect because of our limited experiences within the entire experiential system, it remains the only map we can know. Any new info may slightly or dramatically alter the map depending upon the nature of the information in relation to ones experiences.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 02:33 pm
Git,
...How does it feel to have an original theorem, and then find out later another thinking person had the same one. I'm always thrilled, because it's affirming. This erases all the times I spoke and someone said, "Uh..yea...right." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 03:56 pm
Booman, As you're likely to get a ""Uh..yea...right," my response is usually, "ha, ha, ha......." c.i.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:11 pm
But what do they know C.I.?..Anybody who rejects the thoughts of a bright guy like you, out of hand, must be a dim bulb right? Don't be modest, in your heart of hearts, you know that dontcha'?...dontcha'? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 07:27 pm
I've always found it uplifting to chat with others of like mind, though I'm never surprised that someone has thought similarly. Chatting with those of unlike minds can be equally invigorating, occasionally.

Perhaps we are striving for some form of balanced narcissism? Smile

I believe there are levels of truth, like nested hierarchies. (Truth being the optimal state for all things within a system.) Nested hierarchies represent symbiotic systemic relationships. Each point contains all, like Indra's Net, but each point is only aware of it's experiential system, which means that it may believe there is some sort of separation between itself and others.

So the goal becomes an educational/experiential process. Occasionally it is realized that the process is the goal. Between those fleeting moments the goal is like the bodhisattva's in which enlightenment is reached when all others have reached enlightenment - an interesting paradox. Smile

Namaste...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 08:31 pm
Hmm.... What you just said, is thoroughly engrossing. It made me think of my theory that astrology is at least as logical a truth as any major religion, or phiosophy. Not the newspaper predictions. but the idea that any action or movement by a person, or object, eventually affects everything else in exsistence, like the ripple affect of a rock thrown in a pond.
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:28 am
Sure... many fields of knowledge are coming to the same conclusions that everything effects everything: quantum theory (Bohr's complementarity, Bohm's implicate/explicate order, Bell's Theorem, Aspect's experiment...), biophysics, chaos/complexity theory, neuroplasticity, ecology, systems theory, memetics, Godel/Chaitin's & von Neumann's mathematics, Wolfram's cellular automata... the list goes on and on within and beyond the sciences. There are probably very few disciplines that don't come to a universal principle.

The question is "Which is the most accurate representation of The System?" Which will predict most phenomena? I don't know much about astrology, but I'm assuming because of its place within the field of knowledge that it's powers of prediction are limited.

Great complexity can arise from the utmost in simplicity. Most often the complexity is so great that predictability becomes nearly impossible, though still determined. Our capacities are just too limited. Even if we were aware of the simple state from which certain information originated, we'd still be hard-pressed to predict it several iterations beyond its origination because of it's involvement with everything.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 01:03 am
...I don't even consider predictabiity, in my astrology theory. I just think of probable characteristics a person would have, based on time of birth ,place of birth, geneology, and all contributing environmental factors.
...As for which system to put most faith in, I read the basics of all the major religions and several philosophic doctrines, and found that they all contain a like thread of truth. After this I meditated, and contemplated, and then formed my own personal code of ethics, and philosophy.
...Hearing a learned person like yourself, tell me that you and great minds that are actually published(!) agree with my self derived beliefs, makes me wonder where my head would be, if I wern't a high school dropout. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:12 pm
When there's enough garbage out there on astrology, some if it is bound to hold true for anybody. c.i.
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 02:12 pm
"The only thing getting in the way of my learning is my education."
- Albert Einstein

I'm a non-institutionally, self-taught character too. I nearly failed out of high school, but my school councillor pushed me through. No college degree - just reading, introspection and experience.

But... back to our original topic. Though quantum physics and relativity are both incomplete models of the entire universe, they are the most powerful predictive and/or explanatory models that exist today. Both suggest that the concept of time needs to be reconsidered. I would like to try to take the suggestion seriously and see if a logical construct can replace time.

Is anyone interested in such a creative exploration? It will require that we all try our best to Jump Out Of The System. Memory seems to be a good starting point. It seems paradoxical to try jumping outside of that system, unless someone can suggest otherwise.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 04:23 pm
This subject is way above my level of comprehension, but I'll bookmark to come back to learn. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 04:29 pm
If you write in a diary or play the piano, you need time. When you watch a picture on the wall or read a poem on a page, you do not always need time.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 04:39 pm
The theme of this picture is time. However I do not feel time here other than conceptual one.
http://artchive.floridaimaging.com/p/poussin/poussin_dance_to_the_music_of_time.jpg
(Poussin, Nicolas
The dance to the music of time
c. 1640
Oil on canvas
84.8 x 107.6 cm
Wallace Collection, London)
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:07 pm
Git,
It's our basis, starting point, foundation. (I hope I'm reading you right You think it's a Univerally shared memory perhaps, that can be tapped in to by those who figure it out?
..I'm more than mildly surprised that your education, has little more formality than mine.
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 04:48 pm
Yes, for our purposes memory may be considered the foundation for everything, at least until someone refutes it and/or provides a more encompassing solution.

Memory allows relationships to be established between bits of information. The formation of relationships creates meaning and change (our perception and/or understanding of time).

In order for meaning to initially be created there must be a background of which it is able to relate to. Without the background, or relationship, meaning and, consequently, experience and perception can not surface. Tabula rasa, or the blank slate concept, is logically impossible. Instead tabula finitum becomes the viable solution, which is total memory.

If this is true, then we are connected to the source. Figuring out how to tap it would be of utmost interest, but in the meantime, the social implications could be expounded upon.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 05:09 pm
The completion of a piece of music would not be said to be memory, which takes a definite duration of time.
0 Replies