Philosophical Implications of Quantum Physics & Relativity

satt fs

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 03:23 pm
My statement above, I believe, is about the common knowledge on the fact of brain functioning.
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:00 am
From where or what does common knowledge originate?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:07 am
Time causes memory. Memory lets us notice time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:13 am
"Common knowledge" is an oxymoron. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 02:14 pm
Elaborate please, C.I.. Confused
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:28 pm
What's so common about knowledge? c.i.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:46 pm
It's only certain knowledge that is common. Like if I said "Lennox Lewis can hit hard", or "C.I., is a bright guy." Those things are common knowledge, eveyone knows that! :wink:
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:10 pm
satt_focusable wrote:
Time causes memory. Memory lets us notice time.

If time causes memory and memory lets us notice time, would it be safe to say that time lets us notice time?

How do you know that time causes memory?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:16 pm
Memory is a recognition of time. The sun rise of yesterday is a memory at the moment of the sun rise of today. There was a duration of one day.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:17 pm
Time does not exist as an entity. It is a measurement , which means it can be arbitrarily controlled, as it was arbitrarily created, therefore, it can't cause anything.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:42 pm
Booman..
It is your opinion that [t]ime does not exist as an entity. Another person can say, "I think time must be an entity."
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:52 pm
Well, it's only a theory of a high school dropout, but I did state a basis for my theory. So perhaps a more learned person could tell me how an arbitrarily determined measurement could be an entity.
(I hope no one saw this before I edited. Embarrassed
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:11 pm
Booman..
It could be said that the number "two" was found through measurement. However many working mathematicians think numbers are entities.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 10:49 pm
Sounds to me like two is the name given to an amount. What I've said is theoretical on my part. If I saw the writings of the people you speak of, I'd either have a basis to argue the point, or back off if I felt my theory was wrong at that point. I'm stubborn, and debative, but not immovable.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:07 pm
Booman..

http://www.phil.cmu.edu/projects/bernays/Pdf/bernays13_2002-11-26.pdf
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:37 am
Me and my big mouth. Evil or Very Mad Now I've got homework. I was almost glad the window said try again., but I am curious, I'll check it out after some sleep.
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:47 am
satt_focusable wrote:
Memory is a recognition of time. The sun rise of yesterday is a memory at the moment of the sun rise of today. There was a duration of one day.

How do you know memory is a recognition of time? Couldn't time be a recognition of memory?

Also Satt..

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/CDMTCS/chaitin/unm.html
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:01 am
Quote:
Couldn't time be a recognition of memory?

Time can be recognized through memory in its rudimentary form of noticing the lapse of a day, which was stated above.

BTW, I think you should explain what your intention of the link is in this context. Time is a concept of physics, or of life more generally. Mathematics is not concerned with time proper. Math deals with time variable in mechanical systems, but the time variable is simply a variable without any concrete meaning.
0 Replies

GitVonGat

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 01:36 am
The intention of the link was in response to your link.

Chaitin's work in mathematics is largely founded upon Godel's work. Godel worked through Einstein's General Theory of Relativity to discover Godel Universes (GU's). GU's are logically consistent with relativity, but further expound upon the concept of time, ultimately concluding that time possesses no fundamental truth in reality.

Quantum theory (Bell's Theorem, Aspect's experiment, quantum entanglement/tunneling,...) also suggests that time possesses no fundamental truth in reality.

For these reasons as well as others, we were attempting to move beyond the traditionally engrained notion of time and suggest another phenomena which may be able to account for the perception of time while accommodating the implications of mathematics and physics - namely, memory.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 03:20 am
My link was in response to Booman's request.
0 Replies