The Bush administration is pro-torture.

PDiddie

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:49 am
They have repeatedly demonstrated such.

But is the same true of the entire GOP?

What about the Religious Right? What's their stance on the policies of Bush, Cheney, Gonzales, Rumsfeld, et. al.?

A few Republican Senators, one of whom knows a little something about torture first-hand, may be at the head of a group separating from the administration and making a stand against the Saddam-like policies of the Bushies.

Bob Herbert in the NYT:

Quote:
John McCain, John Warner (and) Lindsey Graham ... are giving the White House fits with their attempt to get legislation approved that would expressly prohibit cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment of detainees in U.S. custody.

There was a dramatic encounter during the floor debate last week when Senator Jeff Sessions, a Republican from Alabama, spoke out against the legislation, saying there was no need for it because, as he put it, the detainees are not prisoners of war, "they are terrorists."

Senator McCain, of Arizona, argued that the debate "is not about who they are. It's about who we are." Americans, said Mr. McCain, "hold ourselves" to a higher standard.

That such an initiative would come from high-ranking, hawkish Republicans is extraordinary, and the White House is not happy about it. In addition to prohibiting cruel and degrading treatment, the legislation would restrict military interrogation techniques to those authorized in a new Army field manual.

The White House has fought intensely, but so far unsuccessfully, against this revolt in the usually steadfast Republican ranks. Vice President Dick Cheney, in a meeting with Senators Warner, McCain and Graham, said the legislation would interfere with President Bush's ability to fight terrorism. He was not able to change their minds.

Unable to fend off the amendments, the Senate majority leader, Bill Frist, put off further consideration of the defense bill until September. Senator McCain and his allies will try to build further support for the amendments during that period. The White House has threatened to veto the defense bill if the amendments are approved.

Republicans -- the ones outside the White House -- have a second chance to make clear their stance on torturing "enemy combatants".

Let's watch which course they take.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,122 • Replies: 31
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
I'm really surprised that Lindsey Graham threw his hat in this, but I'm not at all surprised about McCain and Warner. They both have my respect. In fact, I just may add this quote to my signature.
Quote:
the debate "is not about who they are. It's about who we are."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:56 am
Not only is the Bush administration "pro-torture"...the Bush administration is also an abomination.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:58 am
Which maketh all nations drink from the cup of her abominations.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:58 am
Sorry, couldn't resist.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:00 am
I think McCain sums up my position. You cannot lead by words you must lead by example.

I like McCain.

TTF
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:00 am
Me too.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:04 am
With a bit of luck normal service will be resumed as soon as Bush, Cheney and the rest of the cabal are tossed out of the White House.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:08 am
lately it seams that the Bush admistration is more and more like the good parent at home that as a child you loved, but then you grew up and realized that the rest of the neighborhood hated him.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:29 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Not only is the Bush administration "pro-torture"...the Bush administration is also an abomination.

Quite simply you are wrong on both counts. I do not need to, nor will I, sift through the mounds and mounds of documents I have amassed to prove that you are wrong since I am sure that you, as is the case with most wishy-washy Demoralizing Democrats, would refute the truth and twist it to suit your own needs.

It truly is sad and even deplorable that we still are unable to hear the words of truth without being frightened into denial. That Frank is exactly what has happened to the majority of those opposed to Mr.Bush and the fine job which he has been doing.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:34 am
I agree with sturgis.... I like bush, but all the world seems to hate him.

Oh, sturgis i live like 20 miles from you, and i have yet to see ANYONE in the whole state of Vermont that shares your views. Kudos for being the first i have discovered.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:48 am
Sturgis
Quote:
Quite simply you are wrong on both counts. I do not need to, nor will I, sift through the mounds and mounds of documents I have amassed to prove that you are wrong since I am sure that you, as is the case with most wishy-washy Demoralizing Democrats, would refute the truth and twist it to suit your own needs.

It truly is sad and even deplorable that we still are unable to hear the words of truth without being frightened into denial. That Frank is exactly what has happened to the majority of those opposed to Mr.Bush and the fine job which he has been doing.

So, you don't believe the original premise, but you won't bring up any proof to counter it and you don't believe any proof that is brought up to support it?

I personally don't believe that your 'mounds of documents' exist. The ones showing that the Bushies and GOP aren't pro-tortures and abuses. I'd like to see just ONE of them, and not an opinion piece, either.

BreatheThePoison,

Welcome to A2K! The world hates Bush because of the things he does, not because of who he is (though that doesn't help much either).

You can like him as a person and still recognize that his goals are nefarious.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:12 am
Now you see Cycloptichorn this is what I am talking about. You nitpick and wangle and tweak words and phrases all to your own benefit. There is never a reason to present the evidence to you and other Democrats because you discount it before it is even placed in front of you. If that is how you intend to continue your existence then my goodness, by all means go for it. Keep those dark glasses on so you will never ever be aware of the joyous and wondrous light the world is bathed in under the leadership of George Bush. Just go right on feeling and living your hate.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:43 am
I don't hate anything.

I'm asking you to provide not a lot, not two, but ONE piece in your 'mounds and mounds' of evidence to show that Bush and Co. don't support torture. I'd seriously like to read such a piece.

Your first post in this thread and the one directly preceeding this post are both full of vague generalities demonizing Democrats. You discount other's evidence. You refuse to provide evidence of your own. What more can I ask for?

On what metric do you base your opinion of 'wondrous light the world is bathed in under the leadership of George Bush?' Is there even a metric by which you judge things? What objective criteria do you use to judge presidents? What evidence would you provide that the world is better off that Bush is in office?

If you want to discuss things here you'd better bring some sort of backup to your comments, or you will read this kind of post over and over again.

I repeat my challenge. Provide a single piece of evidence that counters the claim that Bushco, who directly authorized what is happening in Guantanamo and AG, is not pro-abuse and pro-torture. I didn't twist any of your words around. I'm asking you to go to an absolute minimum amount of effort, to post a SINGLE article backing up your views, and not an opinion piece either; or admit that you have none.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:51 am
Did we convict souldiers just a little while ago for degrading POW's? Didnt they look into the accusations that they had been treated in physically harmful ways? If Bush is so for torture why didnt he cover that episode up?

I dont think Bush is perfect, but I do think he's compitent enough to do a thurough investigation on these accusations. I understand that even the Britians are aware of the possiblity that the US has been using torture as a means of gaining intellegence, and also needlessly to make the lives of inmates hell, they also were taken back by the possibility that these things have been and are occuring still. Given all that, i would have to assume that all the information we have on this topic is what little has been assumed by people in high places, or by bits and pieces that have leaked out. If i was in the presidents place i would want to look into this quietly before making it public too, incase the accusations were false, who'd want to risk the already stained reputaion of our military?

Bush might not be bright, but he does seem to be a just human being, i find it hard to believe that he encourages or even knowingly permits unnessary torture. And besides that, i dont remember him ever being caught in a blatant lie, unlike some of our former leaders.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:51 am
Sturgis wrote:
[...] the mounds and mounds of documents I have amassed[...]

Post one. Come on.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:54 am
BreatheThePoison wrote:
I agree with sturgis.... I like bush, but all the world seems to hate him.

Oh, sturgis i live like 20 miles from you, and i have yet to see ANYONE in the whole state of Vermont that shares your views. Kudos for being the first i have discovered.

A belated thank you and also a big hearty Welcome neighbor!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:06 am
Breathe, nice post! I'm gonna break it up into paragraphs if that's okay with you.

Quote:
Did we convict souldiers just a little while ago for degrading POW's? Didnt they look into the accusations that they had been treated in physically harmful ways? If Bush is so for torture why didnt he cover that episode up?

In many ways, what has been done is the equivalent of sticking a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

During the recent trials over abuses in AGhraib most, if not all, of the soldiers claimed they were following orders from farther up the line. Yet none, not ONE, of the people farther up the line has been prosecuted. One cannot rely upon the Army to self-police in instances such as this, as there are far too many reasons for a coverup by the guys up top and they have far too much influence.

We have recently learned that the abuses performed in AGhraib were in large part derived from earlier work done by Abusers and Torturers in Guantanamo bay. Specifically the 'tiger team' deployed by General Miller, head of Detention at Guantanamo bay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/29/international/middleeast/29ABUS.html?ex=1401163200&en=d3608ff1475dc4da&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND

The abuses at AG didn't begin until DIRECTLY AFTER the 'tiger team' showed up.

I would contend that the issue of abuses and torture has not been adequately explored. I just don't know what happened to the concept of responsibility! When troops are serving under you, you are responsible for their conduct. There is little doubt that the actions of torture, murder, and abuse were either ordered or condoned by higher leadership, none of whom has been punished. Until this happens, you can't say that Bush has investigated this nearly enough; it would be like arresting a few gang members, leaving the leaders at large, and claiming that the gang problem is over.

Quote:
I dont think Bush is perfect, but I do think he's compitent enough to do a thurough investigation on these accusations.

You are making the mistake of believing that Bush has anything to do with these decisions. He doesn't, other than to rubber-stamp them at the end. Bush is merely the likeable, country-boy face on a group of very shady characters; Rumsfeld, Cheney, Rice, Bolton, Feith. Bad people. Bush is just the pretty-boy in the front. So, in this case, his competency has nothing to do with the issue.

Quote:
I understand that even the Britians are aware of the possiblity that the US has been using torture as a means of gaining intellegence, and also needlessly to make the lives of inmates hell, they also were taken back by the possibility that these things have been and are occuring still.

Yup. They aren't very happy about it. And there is ample evidence that these things still occur.

Quote:
Given all that, i would have to assume that all the information we have on this topic is what little has been assumed by people in high places, or by bits and pieces that have leaked out. If i was in the presidents place i would want to look into this quietly before making it public too, incase the accusations were false, who'd want to risk the already stained reputaion of our military?

Well, the pres and his cabinet only have a limited right to 'look into things quietly.' At the end of the day, they are our employees, after all! They have to answer to the people of the US, who have a right to know the truth about what is being done in their name.

It took 1 1/2 years (and a Sy Hersh article) for us to find out about the abuses going on in AG. If not for the article, we might STILL not know. What else don't we know about?

Quote:
Bush might not be bright, but he does seem to be a just human being, i find it hard to believe that he encourages or even knowingly permits unnessary torture. And besides that, i dont remember him ever being caught in a blatant lie, unlike some of our former leaders.

Once again, don't confuse Bush's public faces with the things that happen behind the scenes. They have little to do with each other. Bush approved and signed the orders to implement the procedures which have lead to torture and abuse; his hands are as dirty as yours and mine on this issue, and make no mistake, you and I are as responsible for these abuses and tortures as anyone else; because we not only installed those into office who make this happen, we don't do anything about it once we find out.

Cheers!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:08 am
Sturgis wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

One...I am not a Democrat...nor am I a liberal.

Two...one does not have to be a Democrat nor a liberal to see that this administration is almost terminally an abomination...and pro-torture.

Three...George Bush is both an embarrassment and a danger to our country and to the world. And he is without a doubt the most stupid person ever to hold high office in this country.

Take your mounds and mounds of documents and file them where they are not likely to be bleached by the sun.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:21 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

One...I am not a Democrat...nor am I a liberal.

Two...one does not have to be a Democrat nor a liberal to see that this administration is almost terminally an abomination...and pro-torture.

Three...George Bush is both an embarrassment and a danger to our country and to the world. And he is without a doubt the most stupid person ever to hold high office in this country.

Take your mounds and mounds of documents and file them where they are not likely to be bleached by the sun.

Since you like counting games so much here we go.

1)Sorry to have called you a bad name, your ranting confused me.
2)I find very little that could be said to be wrong with our current administration which cannot be said about the preceding one.
3)Bush is not an embarrassment. He is only a danger inasmuch as he spends too much time allowing the naysayers to go on and on which eats up precious time. Mercifully he saw the light when it came to Bolton and took control of the reigns. Perhaps this signals a good start for his remaining time as President (sad that we can't elect him again Crying or Very sad)
4)He is not stupid. Far from it. Something of an idealist and a dreamer at times; but in no way can this man be thought of as stupid.
5) Are you saying you are going to allow me into your dungeon of despair and negativity in order to file the documental evidence?
0 Replies