In Albuquerque on Saturday!

roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:37 am
I'm drawing the group with a magic marker right at the bottom of your post, Gus. Let me know how many you recognize.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 01:00 am
Okay, here's the tip, osso. Shop, and keep shopping. I faxed the audiogram around, and here's the range of prices I found on the ReSound Air: Local hospital - $2,000, $1,799 from hearingplanet involving at least two trips to Albuquerque with gas at OMG.9/10, $1,900 at one local shop, and the other local shop at $1,750.

Sadly, they all tell me that model isn't going to do much for my left ear, and nothing is going to help the right. My low bidder on that one highly recommends the GN Metrix at $2holysmokes500. It is made by the same company (GN) that puts out the ReSound Air.

I've pretty much decided that that's the one to go with, but I'll tell you, I've been feeling almost physically sick all day. New Mexico collects 7% sales tax on these babies, too. Maybe I could find the same thing in Durango at 2.9% tax, but the difference isn't worth taking off work on three separate days and doing three 100 mile round trips.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 10:00 am
Oh, ugly news, Roger.
Me, I still have to get another audiogram too.
Mumble...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 12:03 pm
Anyone remember my liking the museum and the Soul of Spain show in Albuquerque? Looks like Part II is coming up.

http://www.itsatrip.org/tricentennial/300exhibits/
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 06:38 pm
BBB
All hearing-impaired will find my post of value:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1525860#1525860

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:08 pm
I only just found this discussion (thanks, roger).

Eva wrote:
Me too, Osso. I think because it would force me to cross the line from "not-hearing-well-but-hopefully-nobody-knows-it" to "obviously-impaired." And I'm not ready to cross that line.

I well remember that. It's part of why I didn't learn ASL until a good 8 years after my hearing first became an issue. You already know what I'd likely say on the subject now so I won't restate the obvious, but wanted to note the perhaps not-obvious, that I was resistant for a long time as well.

Well, OK, I can't quite stop myself (I tried). I just met a new deaf friend, first one here in Columbus, spent 4 hours talking to her -- with no effort. No strain, no frantic brain calculations, just *ahhhh* communication. While I definitely get grumpy with the stupid non-signing world when I emerge from that, it's also tremendously restorative, and longer-term I have a lot more patience for dealing with the talkers I live with. (I.e., half hour of grumpiness, a week of more patience.)

But, again, 8 years... I do understand.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:42 pm
I almost didn't write that because I feared your reaction, Soz. But if it took you 8 years to get over that wall, then I don't feel so bad after all.

I can get by without knowing ASL, but we have a good friend in a very small, rural Texas town who is profoundly deaf and has never learned it. I don't know why not. I cannot imagine being so cut off.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2005 09:58 pm
Well, maybe she has no one to talk to. I mean, she couldn't sign with you, just for an example. That's one of several reasons I have ignored the issue, though, if this loss turns out to be progressive, I may have to look into it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:09 pm
Okay, osso, come hear.

Dang it, I feel like I'm carrying a pencil behind my left ear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 09:38 pm
I can't get hearing help until I move there... am days from talking to the real estate person, and then depending on sale will move to some place in your and other a2kers neck of the woods, Roger. There won't be much moolah left over, if any, as a nest egg.

I want to do two things with it, before destitution, aside from get a small place for cash - 1) hearing aids, 2) go to italy, however absurd that seems, especially recently.

We'll see, re the market. I may be in deep doodoo with a lot of packed boxes. Luckily, I can mentally tap dance, have had plenty of practice.

On the word hear, and the word here, those are two that my primitive brain pan mixes up...

am I the only one who finds herself typing clearly wrong words, like hear for here? I've noticed this for a few years now. It is sort of primative... these are words I didn't mistake in grade school.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:32 pm
Uh, no....I don't do that, Osso.

<raises eyebrows>

I was going to say you must be going crazy, but anyone whose priorities include going to Italy obviously has their head screwed on straight.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:38 pm
Aww, I typed hear on purpose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 10:43 pm
So, I am the only one. Early sign...

ah, well.

In any case, it's good to talk with smart people with some similar stuff going on.

Though I still want to bat about the folks contributing to eva's problem, to put it nicely.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:10 pm
That was outrageous. Like the people who ventilate road signs when nobody's looking, some people just shouldn't have toys like that.
0 Replies