i think i may have an std...please help me

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 11:31 am
OK...this is a really awkward topic, and I didn't know where else to post this...also, I really would appreciate if those who would like to be critical of me just didn't reply, thanks.

Well, a few weeks ago I went in for an annual exam w/ the gyno…had a pap and got a call 2 weeks later…saying that the results were possibly abnormal and that it probably wasn't anything but I ought to have another test in a couple months just in case. Well, I completely FREAKED out until I talked to my sister and mom who both said they had received the same results before and they were completely fine.

I have tried putting this out of my mind, however, I have noticed two very small bumps on the outside of my skin down there…they are completely on the exterior, but I know they could still be hpv. At first, I figured it was just from shaving, but they haven't gone away and so now I'm a mess. I just NEVER thought I'd have to deal w/ this…I keep trying to tell myself that I'm not a slut, I'm 20 and have had 4 sexual partners, but I can't help but feel HORRIBLE. Worse than this, is if I do have hpv, I will need to tell my boyfriend, we will break up, I will never have another boyfriend or get married, and I'll probably end up w/ cervical cancer.

I know I need to get tested, but other than that, I just don't know what to do, and am looking for some advice/comfort. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,066 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 11:51 am
many women have abnormal pap smears. hpv is a rather scary STD as it can cause a number of things depending on what type you have. i would say call your doc back and ask their opinion on what to do. those bumps could any number of things as well (just like you said ingrown hairs, etc). do they appear like warts (one of the things that hpv causes)? if they are smooth and not cauliflower looking, chances are it isn't genital warts (but i am no doctor). i would get tested.

and who's to say your current boyfriend didn't give it to you? just because you can't see anything doesn't mean he doesn't have anything.

and just because you possibly have an STD does not make you a slut. and you will have other boyfriends and get married. i would say out of all the women i know (myself included) 75% of us have had abnormal paps. i did and it was absolutely nothing. i did freak out like you though, which is perfectly normal. but it ended up being nothing (no std, no cancer, nada). sometimes they say abnormal because it is borderline and better to be safe than sorry-abnormal leads doctors to monitor more often.

go and get tested to set your mind at ease. if you do have it, remember it is not the end of the world, in most cases it is treatable, and they are making some pretty huge advances in HPV these days.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:00 pm
Darling, 4 partners does not make you a slut. People who are only with one person can get an STD.

Get your test results. Get it taken care of and then tell the guy who may have given it to you. It's important that he know. And if you have been only with him and come up positive, he definitely hasn't only been with you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:35 pm
First of all, having an STD doesnt make you a slut. No matter how many people you have slept with.
the NUMBER of people you sleep with doesnt make you a slut either. Dont think that way.

Secondly.
Any place you have skin, you can get bumps. Bumps can be anything from blocked pores ( pimples ) to small 'wart like' hard pieces of skin. Not all are a disease.
99.99999% of women have abnormal pap smears. Abnormal means that there are things that they DIDNT test for that are showing up on your exam and nothing else. You can get an abnormal pap smear from an improperly taken sample. You can get an abnormal pap smear just before your period as well.
Alot of times abnormal means just that. It wasnt a normal sample. This happens ALL THE TIME,
Bumps on your labia can mean several things.
Warts, HPV, ingrown hairs, allergic reactions, herpes etc..
Usually, if it was herpes they would be huge, and by now, open sores.
If they were warts there would be clusters , as dragon described, that look like cauliflower. Hard dry and itchy.
HPV can also produce warts similar to cauliflower.
Allergic reactions to dyes in your underwear can bring on redness, irritation, sometimes odor and bumps.

In the event that there IS a STD , DO be sure and tell your boyfriend.
For the number one reason that you dont want to be infected again.
Just because YOU get cured, he wont be if he has it , and will continue to infect you. A repeated infection could cause the problem to develop into an antibiotic, antifungal IMMUNE infection. ( bigger problem! )

If he is unaware he HAS this infection , he needs to go see a doctor at once as well. Some infections can cause men and women to become sterile and develop other health problems later on.

If he ISNT infected, and you feel up to it, go to your ex boyfriend, or write him an anonymous letter and tell him as well.

You are not a slut because you may have got a disease. You are not a slut because you like sex. You are a human being . humans LIKE sex . Dont bash yourself for liking something that is a natural part of life .
Good luck to you
0 Replies

uhohspaghettio

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 01:06 pm
thank you so much...i am going to try and get tested on the 22nd...in the mean time, i will pray that these two bumps just go the hell away! i really appreciate all your reassurance. i have been doing a lot of reading up on hpv (just in case) and have found some promising facts according to the american cancer society:

1. "Doctors think that three out of four people will get HPV during their lifetime."

2. "Most couples who have sex share HPV until their bodies' immune systems get rid of it. Partners who have sex only with each other do not pass the virus back and forth. When the HPV goes away, the immune system will remember that HPV type and keep you from getting it again."
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 03:21 pm
It is worth stressing over until you know for sure. You can't control the outcome of your test, you can only control your reaction and what steps to take in either event.

i think most times (and i say this from what i have experienced not fact) that doctors just tend to be overly careful in reading the paps because if they miss something and it was there it could lead to sterilization of a female and a massive lawsuit. i think i had two abnormal paps in a row and then a normal one. my obgyn that is typical as the pathologists tend to over diagnose just to be safe so that the obgyns track the abnormal paps more closely. i would call it a little CYA. Smile

however, i would suggest at your current status (not married) using condoms(if you aren't already) as they lend a little more protection from stds (albeit not 100% because only abstinence does that and i would be a hipocrite to advocate that and not a very good realist). Smile

good luck!
0 Replies

diana78

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:27 pm
re
do you know if your pap came back as LSIL or HSIL or ASCUS?

If it's LSIL or HSIL chances are you have HPV...ASCUS can mean HPV, but it can mean other things

Unfortunately most abnormal paps in young women do mean HPV. I know it sounds scary since it's an STD but it's really not a big deal. IT clears up on it's own 80% of the time and doesnt come back. See your dr though.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:41 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
First of all, having an STD doesnt make you a slut. No matter how many people you have slept with.
the NUMBER of people you sleep with doesnt make you a slut either. Dont think that way.

And you can take me and shewolfn's word on THAT one. :wink:

Seriously, don't buy trouble until you know. Just being alive is stressful enough. Good luck.
0 Replies

smoothboop7

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:18 pm
Don't break up with your b/f because of this. My friend this happened too and she freaked out the same way as you, her b/f was the one that had it and she got tested right away. He had it for six months until it was gone, then she got tested and the doctor said there wasnt anything there. according to what her doctor said, guys who get it, are visible, on a girl they are not/some/but not ususal. ive heard about that cerivc cancer too; i cried my eyes out for my friend, best friend, and it turned out too be a false alarm; 4 partners at age 20 does not make you a slut. and everyone above is right, if you sleep with one you might get it then.

dont worry too much....talk to your b/f, dont blame anyone, he shouldnt blame you either. just be in it together and work it out. no sense in racking both your brains to figure out who in your past gave it to you. its not worth it. life is short enough.

good luck!
0 Replies

uhohspaghettio

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
well good news guys...all my worrying was for nothing...the bump went away...im assuming it was from shaving! i will still get tested for hpv when i get my second pap in oct, but ive calmed down Smile thanks for the support though!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 01:38 pm
I love happy endings!
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:00 pm
i am so glad to hear it. i know when it first happens, you freak out. but on average, many, many women have abnormal paps and there is nothing wrong with them.

i am so happy for you!!! go out and celebrate!
0 Replies

diana78

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 10:41 am
ya
i would still get tested to ease your mind
0 Replies