Middle America's creeping theocracy

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 08:44 am
Setanta
Setanta wrote: "Georgia was originally conceived as a penal colony."

Set, I didn't know that. Can you tell us more about the origin of the penal colony idea and why it failed? Was the idea different than the Brittish's OZ?

BBB
0 Replies

am1403

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:48 am
Setanta, thanks Smile
I wrote "The Law of Separation" by lapsus; what I wanted to write was: "The Wall of Separation". Embarrassed
I live in Croatia.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 10:59 am
Just curious, and not meaning to pry, so if you don't wish to reply, don't, but where in Croatia? I've always been interested in geography.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:02 am
Aunt Bee, James Oglethorpe had the idea that the territory in question could be used as a penal colony, and so relieve the flow of convicts to Maryland and Virginia. One modern historian has estimated that at the time of the Revolution, 35% of the population of Maryland were convicts, ticket-of-leave men or women, or the descendants of convicts. But slavery, which had a very slow start in America, was taking off by the time the Georgia colony was established, and people flooded in for the land, ignoring the terms of the charter, and bringing slaves to clear the land and put in a cash crop.

The use of Austrialia as a penal colony was only mooted after the successful revolution removed North America as a destination for convicts.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 11:05 am
Thanks Set
Thanks set.

BBB
0 Replies

am1403

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 01:36 pm
Croatia has continental frontiers with (from east to west) Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Hungary and Slovenia, and a sea frontier (with Adriatic sea) with Italy.
You're not "prying", why wouldn't I want to answer?!
If you want to find out more first-hand stuff about Croatia or the language, send me PM.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:52 pm
am1403, i don't believe you would yet be allowed to respond to my PM, as you are a new member. Actually, i was wondering if you were near the Dalmatian coast, as i have heard that it is ruggedly beautiful country.
0 Replies

am1403

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:59 pm
Unfortunately, I'm from the continental part Sad
But you were informed correctly, Dalmacija ("a" is pronounced like "a" in "park", "c" is pronounced like "ts" in "tsunami" and "j" is pronounced like "y" in "yellow" Smile ) really is a beautiful part of Croatia...I spent more of summer holidays there Smile
Btw, I didn't know there was "hierarchy" about responding personal messeges Confused , that's why I suggested...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 04:49 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
real life wrote:
Helpful Hint A: Useful quotations would be those by Founding Fathers that deny their belief in prayer, for instance, since that would be God intervening in the affairs of men. A Deist would probably NOT believe in a God who answers prayer.

You are making an assumption about prayer, rl. Prayer doesn't necessarily imply the belief that God intervenes in the affairs of men. It isn't exclusive to theists. Non-theists such as Buddhists also pray. Your prayer criteria is not necessary.

Didn't say it was exclusive to theists.

But a Deist would see no reason to pray and would not believe in a prayer answering God. The Deist believes that the hands-off Watchmaker, which typifies his concept of God, does not involve Himself in the affairs of men and therefore would not be a prayer-answering God.

Suggesting that an American Deist of the 18th century might practice prayer similar in manner to a Buddhist is laughable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:06 pm
Terry wrote:
real life wrote:
Terry's original claim was totally unsupported! Not a shred of evidence was offered.

I doubted the supportability of his claim.

If you think you can "call me on it" and prove the claim (which he didn't) that "many of the Founding Fathers were Deists", then go ahead.

You posted some info about 4 FF, (this is hardly "many") much of which does NOT prove or even hint at Deism.

I gave you a simple three part test to see if the FF's beliefs could qualify as Deism. Can you meet the challenge or no?

My "unsupported claim" was offered in response to this post by BreatheThePoison:
Quote:
Didnt boat fulls of christians colonize america with the intent to create a christian nation, one nation under God? Wasnt this country founded on biblical doctrines? Wasn't the constitution written by a bunch of christians? Werent the laws put in place as a reflection of the comands in the bible.... or am i missing something?

Mesquite and J.B. have offered evidence that many of the founding fathers were indeed deists.

Now, can you or BreatheThePoison substantiate the unsupported claim that "a bunch of Christians" wrote the Constitution, founded this country or based its laws on Biblical doctrines?

BTW. I am a "she" not a "he."

Embarrassed Embarrassed My bad. Sorry about that Terry.

Mesquite offered evidence to try to suggest that only 5 Founding Fathers were Deists. That is hardly to be construed as "many". Just counting the Signers of the Declaration alone gives 55.

The evidence on his 5 is hardly conclusive and some of it downright harmful to his conclusion.

Mesquite's evidence suggests:

Adams was a Unitarian, not a Deist.

Jefferson had some belief in the Bible and the words of Jesus Christ, although he believed that they had become corrupted.

JB's input actually shows that many of the FF considered Thomas Paine's positions ridiculous, or worse.

We haven't gotten anywhere close to proving that "many" of the Founding Fathers were Deists. (Hint: They weren't.)
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 05:44 am
Setanta wrote:
<snipped the first part>

The use of Austrialia as a penal colony was only mooted after the successful revolution removed North America as a destination for convicts.

Quite right. Captain Cook came to Australia (New Holland) to claim it as a subterfuge on his way to Tahiti to see the transit of Venus. His secret orders on that trip were to claim New Holland for King George III as a tactical base because the French and the Dutch were active in the area. Some bright spark back in the UK probably thought it was a good idea to transport convicts as the hulks in the Thames were crowded out.

Sorry for the thread drift. As you were.

ps the Croatian coast is truly beautiful, I visited in 1982 on a self-directed trip around Europe and spent some time in Split and Dubrovnik before heading down to Greece.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 11:29 am
real life wrote:

Mesquite offered evidence to try to suggest that only 5 Founding Fathers were Deists. That is hardly to be construed as "many". Just counting the Signers of the Declaration alone gives 55.

The evidence on his 5 is hardly conclusive and some of it downright harmful to his conclusion.

Jefferson had some belief in the Bible and the words of Jesus Christ, although he believed that they had become corrupted.

JB's input actually shows that many of the FF considered Thomas Paine's positions ridiculous, or worse.

We haven't gotten anywhere close to proving that "many" of the Founding Fathers were Deists. (Hint: They weren't.)

Quite right. The Unitarians of the 18th century were certainly Christian. Although not trinitarians, they followed the teachings of Jesus, viewed him in a humanist, prophetical role and considered him the 'head' of the Church. It wasn't until the mid twentieth century than many Unitarians dropped their Christian affiliation. Some Unitarians still considered themselves Christian.

Jefferson's modifications to the New Testament removed the references to the Annunciation, miracle birth and Resurrection in order to, "reduce our volume to the simple evangelists, select, even from them, the very words only of Jesus. There will be remaining the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man." - Thomas Jefferson

In a letter to Dr. Benjamin Rush, Sept, 1800, in followup to a conversation they had on the topic of the Christian religion, "I have a view of the subject which ought to displease neither the rational Christian nor Deist, and would reconcile many to a character they have too hastily rejected. I do not know that it would reconcile the genus irritable vatum who are all in arms against me. Their hostility is on too interesting ground to be softened." The later referring to a group who considered him an infidel too impious to be President

"The returning good sense of our country threatens abortion to their hopes. They believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson letter to B. Rush, from "The Gospel according to Thomas Jefferson", Forrest Church, an Introduction to the Jefferson Bible.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 08:10 pm
J_B wrote:
real life wrote:

Quite right. The Unitarians of the 18th century were certainly Christian. Although not trinitarians, they followed the teachings of Jesus, viewed him in a humanist, prophetical role and considered him the 'head' of the Church. It wasn't until the mid twentieth century than many Unitarians dropped their Christian affiliation. Some Unitarians still considered themselves Christian.

Jefferson's modifications to the New Testament removed the references to the Annunciation, miracle birth and Resurrection in order to, "reduce our volume to the simple evangelists, select, even from them, the very words only of Jesus. There will be remaining the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man." - Thomas Jefferson

In a letter to Dr. Benjamin Rush, Sept, 1800, in followup to a conversation they had on the topic of the Christian religion, "I have a view of the subject which ought to displease neither the rational Christian nor Deist, and would reconcile many to a character they have too hastily rejected. I do not know that it would reconcile the genus irritable vatum who are all in arms against me. Their hostility is on too interesting ground to be softened." The later referring to a group who considered him an infidel too impious to be President

"The returning good sense of our country threatens abortion to their hopes. They believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly; for I have sworn upon the alter of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson letter to B. Rush, from "The Gospel according to Thomas Jefferson", Forrest Church, an Introduction to the Jefferson Bible.

Thanks J_B, for the quotation from the letter to Rush. It is one I had not seen before. Apparently Jefferson is considering the Deists as a group that he does not fit in, if I read it right.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 08:29 am
Quote:

It seems to me we could use another Thomas Jefferson in the White House.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 11:55 am
J_B wrote:
Quote:

It seems to me we could use another Thomas Jefferson in the White House.

Have you read much about Jefferson's war on terrorism?
0 Replies