Middle America's creeping theocracy

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:39 pm
Re: BBB
rosborne979 wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Kansas legislature just voted to approve teaching Intelligent Design in their schools.

What class are they going to teach it in?

Does it get its own class, like science does? Or do they teach it in sociology and humanities?

This is the latest info I could find. I also should correct my post. It was the Kansas Board of Education, not the legislature that voted to approved.

It is worse than I thought. They intend to reduce the importance of evolution and increase intelligent design. No parity at all. How sad!

---BBB

Kansas moves to stem role of evolution in teaching
Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:56 PM ET
By Carey Gillam

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (Reuters) - After months of debate over science and religion, the Kansas Board of Education has tentatively approved new state science standards that weaken the role evolution plays in teaching about the origin of life.

The 10-member board must still take a final vote, expected in either September or October, but a 6-4 vote on Tuesday that approved a draft of the standards essentially cemented a victory for conservative Christian board members who say evolution is largely unproven and can undermine religious teachings about the origins of life on earth.

"We think this is a great development ... for the academic freedom of students," said John West, senior fellow of the Discovery Institute, which supports intelligent design theory.

Intelligent design proposes that some features of the natural world are best explained as products of a considered intent as opposed to a process of natural selection.

The board is sending its drafted standards to a Denver-based education consultant before a final vote, planned for either September or October.

If they win final approval, Kansas will join Minnesota, Ohio and New Mexico, all of which have adopted critical analysis of evolution in the last four years.

The new science standards would not eliminate the teaching of evolution entirely, nor would they require that religious views, also known as creationism, be taught, but it would encourage teachers to discuss various viewpoints and eliminate core evolution theory as required curriculum.

Critics say the moves are part of a continuing national effort by conservative Christians to push their secular views into the public education process.

"This is neo-creationism, trying to avoid the legal morass of trying to teach creationism overtly and slip it in through the backdoor," said Eugenie Scott, executive director of the National Center for Science Education.

Kansas itself has been grappling with the issue for years, garnering worldwide attention in 1999 when the state school board voted to de-emphasize evolution in science classes.

That was reversed in 2001 with new members elected to the school board. But conservatives again gained the majority in elections in 2004, leading to the newest attacks on evolution.

The science standards the board is revising act as guidelines for teachers about how and what to teach students.

In May, the board of education sponsored a courtroom-style debate over evolution that saw lawyers for each side cross-examining "witnesses" and taking up issues such as the age of the earth, fossil records and beliefs that humans and are too intricately designed to not have a creator.

The hearings came 80 years after evolution was the subject of the famous "Scopes" trial in Tennessee in which teacher John Thomas Scopes was accused of violating a ban against teaching evolution.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:02 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
It is worse than I thought. They intend to reduce the importance of evolution and increase intelligent design. No parity at all. How sad!

---BBB[/b][/i]

What about alchemy? Let's teach that as well as chemistry. How come nobody's fighting this hard for alchemy or voodoo... why just evolution (rhetorical of course), the answer is obvious.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:03 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

---BBB[/b][/i]

What about alchemy? Let's teach that as well as chemistry. How come nobody's fighting this hard for alchemy or voodoo... why just evolution (rhetorical of course), the answer is obvious.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 09:52 pm
Terry wrote:
Many of the Founding Fathers were deists, not Christians or theists.

A common misconception.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:02 pm
real life wrote:
Terry wrote:

A common misconception.

Quote:
The Faith of our Founding Fathers, by Dean Worbois

No one disputes the faith of our Founding Fathers. To speak of unalienable Rights being endowed by a Creator certainly shows a sensitivity to our spiritual selves. What is surprising is when fundamentalist Christians think the Founding Fathers' faith had anything to do with the Bible. Without exception, the faith of our Founding Fathers was deist, not theist. It was best expressed earlier in the Declaration of Independence, when they spoke of "the Laws of Nature" and of "Nature's God."

In a sermon of October 1831, Episcopalian minister Bird Wilson said,

"Among all of our Presidents, from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."

The Bible? Here is what our Founding Fathers wrote about Bible-based Christianity:

Thomas Jefferson:

"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth."
SIX HISTORIC AMERICANS,
by John E. Remsburg, letter to William Short

Jefferson again:

"Christianity...(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on man. ...Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus."

More Jefferson:

"The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.

Jefferson's word for the Bible? "Dunghill."

John Adams:

"Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of other trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?"

Also Adams:

"The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli. Article 11 states:

"The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

Here's Thomas Paine:

"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)."

"Among the most detestable villains in history, you could not find one worse than Moses. Here is an order, attributed to 'God' to butcher the boys, to massacre the mothers and to debauch and rape the daughters. I would not dare so dishonor my Creator's name by (attaching) it to this filthy book (the Bible)."

"It is the duty of every true Deist to vindicate the moral justice of God against the evils of the Bible."

"Accustom a people to believe that priests and clergy can forgive sins...and you will have sins in abundance."

And; "The Christian church has set up a religion of pomp and revenue in pretended imitation of a person (Jesus) who lived a life of poverty."

Finally let's hear from James Madison:

"What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy."

Madison objected to state-supported chaplains in Congress and to the exemption of churches from taxation. He wrote:

"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."

These founding fathers were a reflection of the American population. Having escaped from the state-established religions of Europe, only 7% of the people in the 13 colonies belonged to a church when the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Among those who confuse Christianity with the founding of America, the rise of conservative Baptists is one of the more interesting developments. The Baptists believed God's authority came from the people, not the priesthood, and they had been persecuted for this belief. It was they - the Baptists - who were instrumental in securing the separation of church and state. They knew you can not have a "one-way wall" that lets religion into government but that does not let it out. They knew no religion is capable of handling political power without becoming corrupted by it. And, perhaps, they knew it was Christ himself who first proposed the separation of church and state: "Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto the Lord that which is the Lord's."

In the last five years the Baptists have been taken over by a fundamentalist faction that insists authority comes from the Bible and that the individual must accept the interpretation of the Bible from a higher authority. These usurpers of the Baptist faith are those who insist they should meddle in the affairs of the government and it is they who insist the government should meddle in the beliefs of individuals.

The price of Liberty is constant vigilance. Religious fundamentalism and zealous patriotism have always been the forces which require the greatest attention.

Source
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 11:30 pm
mesquite wrote:
real life wrote:
Terry wrote:

A common misconception.

Quote:
The Faith of our Founding Fathers, by Dean Worbois

No one disputes the faith of our Founding Fathers. To speak of unalienable Rights being endowed by a Creator certainly shows a sensitivity to our spiritual selves. What is surprising is when fundamentalist Christians think the Founding Fathers' faith had anything to do with the Bible. Without exception, the faith of our Founding Fathers was deist, not theist. It was best expressed earlier in the Declaration of Independence, when they spoke of "the Laws of Nature" and of "Nature's God."

In a sermon of October 1831, Episcopalian minister Bird Wilson said,

"Among all of our Presidents, from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."

The Bible? Here is what our Founding Fathers wrote about Bible-based Christianity:

Thomas Jefferson:

"I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth."
SIX HISTORIC AMERICANS,
by John E. Remsburg, letter to William Short

Jefferson again:

"Christianity...(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on man. ...Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus."

More Jefferson:

"The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.

Jefferson's word for the Bible? "Dunghill."

John Adams:

"Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of other trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?"

Also Adams:

"The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli. Article 11 states:

"The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

Here's Thomas Paine:

"I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible)."

"Among the most detestable villains in history, you could not find one worse than Moses. Here is an order, attributed to 'God' to butcher the boys, to massacre the mothers and to debauch and rape the daughters. I would not dare so dishonor my Creator's name by (attaching) it to this filthy book (the Bible)."

"It is the duty of every true Deist to vindicate the moral justice of God against the evils of the Bible."

"Accustom a people to believe that priests and clergy can forgive sins...and you will have sins in abundance."

And; "The Christian church has set up a religion of pomp and revenue in pretended imitation of a person (Jesus) who lived a life of poverty."

Finally let's hear from James Madison:

"What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy."

Madison objected to state-supported chaplains in Congress and to the exemption of churches from taxation. He wrote:

"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."

These founding fathers were a reflection of the American population. Having escaped from the state-established religions of Europe, only 7% of the people in the 13 colonies belonged to a church when the Declaration of Independence was signed.

Among those who confuse Christianity with the founding of America, the rise of conservative Baptists is one of the more interesting developments. The Baptists believed God's authority came from the people, not the priesthood, and they had been persecuted for this belief. It was they - the Baptists - who were instrumental in securing the separation of church and state. They knew you can not have a "one-way wall" that lets religion into government but that does not let it out. They knew no religion is capable of handling political power without becoming corrupted by it. And, perhaps, they knew it was Christ himself who first proposed the separation of church and state: "Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto the Lord that which is the Lord's."

In the last five years the Baptists have been taken over by a fundamentalist faction that insists authority comes from the Bible and that the individual must accept the interpretation of the Bible from a higher authority. These usurpers of the Baptist faith are those who insist they should meddle in the affairs of the government and it is they who insist the government should meddle in the beliefs of individuals.

The price of Liberty is constant vigilance. Religious fundamentalism and zealous patriotism have always been the forces which require the greatest attention.

Source

Again, I doubt it. "Many" of the Founding Fathers as Deists?

A few perhaps, perhaps not.

But "many"? How "many"?

Are you trying to imply "most" ?

Helpful Mesquite has tried to document 4. Hardly "many". Certainly not most.

Mesquite, of your 4, I count one strong possibility, two maybes and one no dice.

How 'bout documenting your assertion a little better?

Helpful Hint A: Useful quotations would be those by Founding Fathers that deny their belief in prayer, for instance, since that would be God intervening in the affairs of men. A Deist would probably NOT believe in a God who answers prayer.

Helpful Hint B: Also helpful would be quotations by Founding Fathers that deny their belief in the Bible since that would be God intervening to reveal Himself to man and show to man His character, teach His ways, etc. A strict Deist would probably NOT believe in God intervening in this fashion, either.

Helpful Hint C: Very helpful would be quotations by Founding Fathers that deny that Jesus Christ was in ANY fashion a message, a messenger , an example or representative of God in ANY way. Good Deists would NOT be very consistent if they believed in God intervening in human history in this fashion (think: Star Trek and violating the Prime Directive)

Since Jesus Christ's life has arguably substantially altered human history (some believe for the good, others not) then if God intervened to "send" Jesus in any way, this would really put His credentials as the "hands-off Watchmaker" at risk.

Well, how 'bout it? Please quote in the words of the Founding Fathers only, not in the interpretive biographical sketches that others have written to redefine them.

Let THEM say that THEY hold to Deistic beliefs. You've made a good start but by no means a convincing case on all points A, B and C.

Ready. Go.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 12:18 am
real life, you picked one small point out of Terry's post and made an unsupported challenge to it. I decided to call you on it.

This was also in the article previously quoted.

Quote:
While most of these politicians were diplomatic in their public expressions concerning religion, in their private conversations, voluminous writings and correspondences they expressed contrary beliefs.

Which beliefs are true? If a politician appears one way in public and another in private, which do you think better represents their true beliefs? How do you reconcile the inflamatory writings above with various pro-Christian statements that the same men made in the course of their careers? Could it be called politics, an attempt to appease Christians while ensuring a more rational government based on the separation of church and state? We can't be sure but it looks that way.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies.
-- Benjamin Franklin, quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? (2001)

He [the Rev. Mr. Whitefield] used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard.
-- Benjamin Franklin, from Franklin's Autobiography
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 06:20 am
mesquite wrote:
real life, you picked one small point out of Terry's post and made an unsupported challenge to it. I decided to call you on it.

This was also in the article previously quoted.

Quote:
While most of these politicians were diplomatic in their public expressions concerning religion, in their private conversations, voluminous writings and correspondences they expressed contrary beliefs.

Which beliefs are true? If a politician appears one way in public and another in private, which do you think better represents their true beliefs? How do you reconcile the inflamatory writings above with various pro-Christian statements that the same men made in the course of their careers? Could it be called politics, an attempt to appease Christians while ensuring a more rational government based on the separation of church and state? We can't be sure but it looks that way.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies.
-- Benjamin Franklin, quoted from Victor J. Stenger, Has Science Found God? (2001)

He [the Rev. Mr. Whitefield] used, indeed, sometimes to pray for my conversion, but never had the satisfaction of believing that his prayers were heard.
-- Benjamin Franklin, from Franklin's Autobiography

Terry's original claim was totally unsupported! Not a shred of evidence was offered.

I doubted the supportability of his claim.

If you think you can "call me on it" and prove the claim (which he didn't) that "many of the Founding Fathers were Deists", then go ahead.

You posted some info about 4 FF, (this is hardly "many") much of which does NOT prove or even hint at Deism.

I gave you a simple three part test to see if the FF's beliefs could qualify as Deism. Can you meet the challenge or no?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 08:36 am
Here's a counter arguement:

Quote:
Thomas Paine and the Age of Reason

Thomas Paine is sometimes grouped with the Founding Fathers. Your daily newspaper might reinforce this view with editorials like this:

Franklin, Washington, Jefferson, Paine and most of our other patriarchs were at best deists, believing in the unmoved mover of Aristotle, but not the God of the Old and New Testaments.[1]

It would be difficult to name a single one of the Founding Fathers who approved of Paine's Age of Reason, his famous tract attacking religion in general and evangelical Christianity in particular. Even less-than-evangelicals like Benjamin Franklin and the "Unitarians" all denounced Paine's book.

Before Paine published his Age of Reason, he sent a manuscript copy to Benjamin Franklin, seeking his thoughts. Notice Franklin's strong and succinct reply, and keep in mind that those on all sides of the religion question would concede Franklin to be one of the least religious Founders:

I have read your manuscript with some attention. By the argument it contains against a particular Providence, though you allow a general Providence, you strike at the foundations of all religion. For without the belief of a Providence that takes cognizance of, guards, and guides, and may favor particular persons, there is no motive to worship a Deity, to fear his displeasure, or to pray for his protection. I will not enter into any discussion of your principles, though you seem to desire it. At present I shall only give you my opinion that . . . the consequence of printing this piece will be a great deal of odium drawn upon yourself, mischief to you, and no benefit to others. He that spits into the wind, spits in his own face. But were you to succeed, do you imagine any good would be done by it? . . . [T]hink how great a portion of mankind consists of weak and ignorant men and women and of inexperienced, inconsiderate youth of both sexes who have need of the motives of religion to restrain them from vice, to support their virtue . . . . I would advise you, therefore, not to attempt unchaining the tiger, but to burn this piece before it is seen by any other person . . . . If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? I intend this letter itself as proof of my friendship.[2]

Samuel Adams was not quite as cordial as Franklin:

[W]hen I heard you had turned your mind to a defence of infidelity, I felt myself much astonished and more grieved that you had attempted a measure so injurious to the feelings and so repugnant to the true interest of so great a part of the citizens of the United States. The people of New England, if you will allow me to use a Scripture phrase, are fast returning to their first love. Will you excite among them the spirit of angry controversy at a time when they are hastening to amity and peace? I am told that some of our newspapers have announced your intention to publish an additional pamphlet upon the principles of your Age of Reason. Do you think your pen, or the pen of any other man, can unchristianize the mass of our citizens, or have you hopes of converting a few of them to assist you in so bad a cause?[3]

John Adams certainly spoke harshly of such anti-Christian propaganda:

The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue equity and humanity, let the Blackguard [scoundrel, rogue] Paine say what he will.[4]

Far from opposing "the God of the Old and New Testaments," Adams defended the Bible as the basis for government in a Christian nation:

Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God.... What a Eutopia, what a Paradise would this region be." [5]

This was, in fact, the basis for the system of government in America, as Adams wrote to Thomas Jefferson on June 28, 1813:

The general principles, on which the Fathers achieved independence, were the only Principles in which that beautiful Assembly of young Gentlemen could Unite....And what were these general Principles? I answer, the general Principles of Christianity, in which all these Sects were United: . . . Now I will avow, that I then believe, and now believe, that those general Principles of Christianity, are as eternal and immutable, as the Existence and Attributes of God; and that those Principles of Liberty, are as unalterable as human Nature and our terrestrial, mundane System. [6]

* Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration of Independence, wrote to his friend and signer of the Constitution John Dickenson that Paine's Age of Reason was "absurd and impious."[7]
* Charles Carroll, a signer of the Declaration, described Paine's work as "blasphemous writings against the Christian religion."[8]
* John Witherspoon, signer of the Declaration and mentor to many other Founders, said that Paine was "ignorant of human nature as well as an enemy to the Christian faith."[9]
* John Quincy Adams declared that "Mr. Paine has departed altogether from the principles of the Revolution." [10]

Elias Boudinot, President of Congress, even published the Age of Revelation -- a full-length rebuttal to Paine's work. In a letter to his daughter, Susan, Boudinot described his motivations for writing that rebuttal:

I confess that I was much mortified to find the whole force of this vain man's genius and art pointed at the youth of America. . . . This awful consequence created some alarm in my mind lest at any future day, you, my beloved child, might take up this plausible address of infidelity; and for want of an answer at hand to his subtle insinuations might suffer even a doubt of the truth, as it is in Jesus, to penetrate your mind. . . . I therefore determined . . . to put my thoughts on the subject of this pamphlet on paper for your edification and information, when I shall be no more. I chose to confine myself to the leading and essential facts of the Gospel which are contradicted or attempted to be turned into ridicule by this writer. I have endeavored to detect his falsehoods and misrepresentations and to show his extreme ignorance of the Divine Scriptures which he makes the subject of his animadversions -- not knowing that "they are the power of God unto salvation, to every one that believeth [Romans 1:16]."[11]

Patrick Henry, too, wrote a refutation of Paine's work which he described as "the puny efforts of Paine." However, after reading Bishop Richard Watson's Apology for the Bible written against Paine, Henry deemed that work sufficient and decided not to publish his reply.[12]

When William Paterson, signer of the Constitution and a Justice on the U.S. Supreme Court, learned that some Americans seemed to agree with Paine's work, he thundered:

Infatuated Americans, why renounce your country, your religion, and your God? Oh shame, where is thy blush? Is this the way to continue independent, and to render the 4th of July immortal in memory and song?[13]

Zephaniah Swift, author of America's first law book, warned:

[W]e cannot sufficiently reprobate the beliefs of Thomas Paine in his attack on Christianity by publishing his Age of Reason . . . . He has the impudence and effrontery [shameless boldness] to address to the citizens of the United States of America a paltry performance which is intended to shake their faith in the religion of their fathers . . . . No language can describe the wickedness of the man who will attempt to subvert a religion which is a source of comfort and consolation to its votaries [devout worshipers] merely for the purpose of eradicating all sentiments of religion.[14]

John Jay, co-author of the Federalist Papers and the original Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, was comforted by the fact that Christianity would prevail despite Paine's attack:

I have long been of the opinion that the evidence of the truth of Christianity requires only to be carefully examined to produce conviction in candid minds, and I think they who undertake that task will derived advantages. . . . As to The Age of Reason, it never appeared to me to have been written from a disinterested love of truth or of mankind.[15]

Many other similar writings could be cited, but these are sufficient to show that Paine's views were strongly rejected even by the least religious Founders. In fact, Paine's views caused such vehement public opposition that -- as Franklin predicted -- he spent his last years in New York as "an outcast" in "social ostracism" and was buried in a farm field because no American cemetery would accept his remains.[16]

Yet, even Thomas Paine cannot be called an atheist, for in the same work wherein he so strongly attacked Christianity, Paine also declared:

I believe in one God . . . and I hope for happiness beyond this life.[17]

The Founding Fathers simply were not atheists -- not even one of them. As Franklin had earlier explained to his European hosts while in France:

ad examples to youth are more rare in America, which must be comfortable consideration to parents. To this may be truly added, that serious religion, under its various denominations, is not only tolerated, but respected and practiced. Atheism is unknown there; infidelity rare and secret; so that persons may live to a great age in that country, without having their piety shocked by meeting with either an atheist or an infidel.[18]

While members of the Supreme Court have held that government cannot show "respect" for religion, Franklin says the opposite.

http://members.aol.com/TestOath/deism.htm

As a practicing UU, the Jefferson Bible is sometimes used in our religion and is given to our 14 year old affirmants at their 'coming of age' ceremony. Jefferson removed any Trinitarian discussion from his Christian Bible and published his own version of the New Testement. He was attempting to make the scriptures more authentic to the true message of Jesus.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/jesus/jefferson.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:27 am
Opinion: The Origin Of Specious
National Mutation Through Unnatural Selection
By Dom Stasi

George W. Bush wants to see "different ideas" introduced into the science curriculum of our public schools. That's fundamentalist code for, "I want to indoctrinate your children to Creationism."

In case you've just arrived here from the outer planets and haven't heard the "news," the latest inanity our prez has used to throw the country's "reporters" off the Karl Rove stench, while driving another wedge through what remains of her people's unity is this comment, he made last week: "I think part of education," expounded Bush the philosopher, "is to expose people to different schools of thought." He went on to say he would endorse placing intelligent design on an equal curricular footing with evolution.

My god! Are we so insane now that we're about to allow George W. Bush to influence our children's thinking and thus the next generation of American scientists - or would alchemists be a more appropriate title? How about sorcerers?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 11:35 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Opinion: The Origin Of Specious
National Mutation Through Unnatural Selection
By Dom Stasi

George W. Bush wants to see "different ideas" introduced into the science curriculum of our public schools. That's fundamentalist code for, "I want to indoctrinate your children to Creationism."

In case you've just arrived here from the outer planets and haven't heard the "news," the latest inanity our prez has used to throw the country's "reporters" off the Karl Rove stench, while driving another wedge through what remains of her people's unity is this comment, he made last week: "I think part of education," expounded Bush the philosopher, "is to expose people to different schools of thought." He went on to say he would endorse placing intelligent design on an equal curricular footing with evolution.

My god! Are we so insane now that we're about to allow George W. Bush to influence our children's thinking and thus the next generation of American scientists - or would alchemists be a more appropriate title? How about sorcerers?

Yeah, scary. Exposing students to different ideas could lead to all sorts of unforeseen consequences. You never know what they might end up thinking. They might even continue to look at additional information outside of school and after they graduate. What kind of people would they become?

We really need to address this, I think. If students get the idea that they have a right to dissent then all kinds of chaos will descend on our schools. We need to be sure that students don't leave school all thinking different things. They all should think the same, shouldn't they? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 05:26 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Lack of education is an insidious problem because it leads to adults who make uninformed decisions about the information which is then fed to their children during school.

Spinning the issue as "different ideas" is very creative, but clearly a specious argument (even though I'm sure it will fool many of those who wish to be fooled).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 10:46 pm
Apparently one of the chief reasons that education has gotten so expensive is due to price increases on the sand that students and faculty are required to insert their heads into upon arrival each day.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 11:14 pm
real life wrote:
Helpful Hint A: Useful quotations would be those by Founding Fathers that deny their belief in prayer, for instance, since that would be God intervening in the affairs of men. A Deist would probably NOT believe in a God who answers prayer.

You are making an assumption about prayer, rl. Prayer doesn't necessarily imply the belief that God intervenes in the affairs of men. It isn't exclusive to theists. Non-theists such as Buddhists also pray. Your prayer criteria is not necessary.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 12:45 am
non-theists??

did you mean atheists??????
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:05 am
real life wrote:
Terry's original claim was totally unsupported! Not a shred of evidence was offered.

I doubted the supportability of his claim.

If you think you can "call me on it" and prove the claim (which he didn't) that "many of the Founding Fathers were Deists", then go ahead.

You posted some info about 4 FF, (this is hardly "many") much of which does NOT prove or even hint at Deism.

I gave you a simple three part test to see if the FF's beliefs could qualify as Deism. Can you meet the challenge or no?

My "unsupported claim" was offered in response to this post by BreatheThePoison:
Quote:
Didnt boat fulls of christians colonize america with the intent to create a christian nation, one nation under God? Wasnt this country founded on biblical doctrines? Wasn't the constitution written by a bunch of christians? Werent the laws put in place as a reflection of the comands in the bible.... or am i missing something?

Mesquite and J.B. have offered evidence that many of the founding fathers were indeed deists.

Now, can you or BreatheThePoison substantiate the unsupported claim that "a bunch of Christians" wrote the Constitution, founded this country or based its laws on Biblical doctrines?

BTW. I am a "she" not a "he."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:21 am
The first English colony to survive on the North American continental mainland was Virginia, which was a commercial venture. Failing miserably in that capacity (eventually), it became a learning experience, and the Crown took over the colony. The Massachusetts Bay Company was chartered as just such a commercial venture--however, the Puritans who had petitioned for the charter sent the charter itself to the "new world" in the keeping of Jonathon Winthrop with the intent of founding a "godly republic" in the wilderness, a "shining city on the hill" (that's right, Republicans have ripped off the idea without attribution). That situation quickly deteriorated, and people like Roger Williams fled the colony or were exiled. Therefore Rhode Island was founded as a haven for all religous beliefs, or none, in direct opposition to the dogmatic narrow-mindedness of the "Saints" (as they called themselves) in Massachusetts. Connecticutt was founded as another Calvinist enclave, for which they suffered in their internal politics no less than Massachusetts, with an established church (what we would call Congregationalism) right up to the revolution. The Hampshire Grants had absolutely nothing to do with religion. New York and New Jersey were stolen from the Dutch by military action, and so was Delware, which the Dutch had stolen from the Swedes. Pennsylvania was the payment of a debt that the Stuarts owed to Admiral Charles Penn; he being dead, his son William, a devout "Quaker," took possession and guaranteed religous freedom and plurality in his colony. Maryland had been founded as a haven for Catholics, but with Catholics prohibited from holding public office under the terms of the Religious Test Act and the Occasional Conformity Act, Lord Baltimore was obliged to use Protestants for the government of the colony. The Carolinas were also payment of the debts of the Stuarts, and Georgia was originally conceived as a penal colony--although that did not last long with all that good land just begging for slavery and a cash crop.

Therefore, no, it is not true that the English colonies on the North American mainland were founded by "boat fulls of christians . . . with the intent to create a christian nation, one nation under God . . . " By the way, the phrase "one nation, under God," is taken from the Pledge of Allegiance, which is no part of law or the constitution. Furthermore, it was originally written by a Baptist preacher, who did not write "one nation, under God." He simply wrote: "one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." It was crackpots acting during the red scare of the 1950's who added the "under God" horseshit.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 02:47 am
"Separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and natures god...." This is in the opening lines of the Declaration of independence. It doesn't say "Christian god" or any other religious god. "Natures god" is by far closer to deism then it is to Christianity. The reason for that was most likely because Thomas paine, Ethan Allen,Benjamin Franklin, john adams And Thomas jefferson were deist. They weren't christians. Thank God for separation of church (christians) and state, And I thank are founding fathers to.
0 Replies

am1403

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:37 am
Forgive me in advance for my possible ignorance because I was not raised in US...
In my ethics class we discussed possible solutions for relationship between religion and the state, and we were told that in America it is done by "The Law of Separation", i.e.that the state will not disable religious organizations, but not to promote them either?
Assuming that this is correct, in public schools none religion should be taught as compulsory subject. Maybe as an elective, I don't know how does this functionate in America with subjects...
Here, religious education is elective in elementary school, while in high school you may pick between "religion" and "ethics". It's not really an elective, because you MUST pick one of them, though. In "religion" class they study, of course, religion, and accent is on christianity of course, but they also go through basics of other religions, even through basics of scientific picture of the world (evolution and these stuff that'd be opposed to some Bible stuff); while on the other hand, "ethics" is more philosophically orientated class, where you do mention religion as well, but only as part of that you are studying.
In my personal opinion this is rather fair, because you do get informed in both subjects, from various perspectives of course - and of course there are some differences because they really study religion in "religion" class while we in "ethics" mention it in relationship with state, or similar.
But I don't like the way it's organized in elementary schools here, because it makes difference between children, and in some smaller towns you do have nearly all the kids attending religious education, so many parents sign in their children simply not to point them as different...I dislike that a lot, I must say.
In my opinion the best would be if religion as separate subject (with prayers etc) would be kept outside of public schools.
I know that this post is not really about its topic, Embarrassed sorry. I just thought you might want to hear how it's like in some other countries.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:50 am
am1403, there is no "law of separation." However, the first amendement to the constitution reads, in part: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . . . Therefore, it is true that the government may neither hinder nor promote religion. A good deal of the strife in America these days over religious matters revolves around what constitutes a promotion of religion. You are correct to say that religion may not be taught in a publicly-supported institution as a compulsory course. At issue in this thread is the establishment of an elective course in religion, specifically, the study of the bible as it is know to and interpreted by christians. Earlier in this thread,

I wrote:
In 1948, the Supremes held in McCollum v. Board of Education that because public schools have compulsory education requirements, this plan created a situation where students were forced to participate in religious instruction or risk being ostracized by teachers and peers. The Court found the plan did violate the establishment clause.

To explain that a little further, a local school board in Illinois had instituted an elective course in bible study (which in America means that it was not a general religious course, but specifically a course about christianity). A person named McCollum brought suit against that school board, and the case was eventually appealed to the United States Supreme Court. The Court found that because education is compulsory (parents must assure that their children are educated either in the public system, or a comparable private institution), those children who did not elect such a course were nonetheless under pressure to do so because of the fear of being shunned by their fellow students or the teachers, and that this was a de facto establishment or religion. In my earlier post, i also noted that the Supreme Court as presently constituted might not make such a ruling, that this remains to be seen.

I found your description of the ethics/religion electives offered to be interested. Are you willing to tell us what country you reside in? Don't worry, your remarks are completely consonant with this topic--they fit right in.
0 Replies