https://news.yahoo.com/law-install-kill-switches-cars-170000930.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,713 • Replies: 23

engineer

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 01:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Easiest thing to bypass in history, not something to worry about.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 01:33 pm
@engineer,
Did you read the article?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 02:06 pm
An excerpt:
Barr points out that the bill, which has been signed into law by President Biden, states that the kill switch, which is referred to as a safety device, must “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle to accurately identify whether that driver may be impaired.” In other words, Big Brother will constantly be monitoring how you drive. If you do something the system has been programmed to recognize as driver impairment, your car could just shut off, which could be incredibly dangerous.

There is the possibility the kill switch program might measure your driving as impaired, then when you try to start the car up again the engine won’t fire up. That would potentially leave you stranded.

But wait, there’s more. This kill switch “safety” system would be open, or in other words there would be a backdoor. That would allow police or other government authorities to access it whenever. Would they need a warrant to do that? Likely not. Even better, hackers could access the backdoor and shut down your vehicle.

Mame

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 02:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think he meant a person could disable the kill switch in their own car. So, obviously they're going to have to find a way around that.

I think it's a terrible idea. Invasive, possibly dangerous, and probably against one of your amendments Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 02:30 pm
@Mame,
The typical kill switch used by some these days is simple enough to disable. What the new law proposes is from science fiction, where the machine does more damage than good. As the article states, we have five years to mull it over and change it or kill it.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 03:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
It says who is trying to stop this but what brain dead politician has come up with this?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 03:38 pm
@Linkat,
It was passed by Congress and signed by the President.
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 03:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It was passed by Congress and signed by the President.

Yeah but someone or a handful of congressman had to promote this...curious who was the leader or leaders on this
Linkat

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 03:59 pm
@Linkat,
It sounds like Buttigieg the secretary of transportation is behind this at least I read he was promoting this.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 10:44 pm
@Linkat,
I can't find anything in the official record about this. I know a few car insurance companies are trying to coax drivers to install 'safe guard devices' in their car so their driving habits can be tracked, but they push it as a way to keep track of their kids driving habits.

This idea will not pass muster with the driving population.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 10:50 pm
There are other links on Google that tell the same thing.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 11:09 pm
Every State in the US has their own Dept. of Transportation and legislate their own traffic law. The Federal Government can't take over the States responsibility to monitor their traffic.
Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 05:55 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Every State in the US has their own Dept. of Transportation and legislate their own traffic law. The Federal Government can't take over the States responsibility to monitor their traffic.

But they do mandate what new cars must install....like seatbelts and air bags. If you read this and any other article on it ... I found one by NPR describing this exact mandate proposal...the federal government can mandate that all new cars must install this. It isn't a traffic rule or law it is a mandate on what new cars must install on every vehicike.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 06:55 am
@edgarblythe,
I get beeped evry so oftn with "DRivr impired" prompts. It tells me to rest vn though I just hopped in n am driving along country lanes and crving my own turns. Crs dont understand , they are predictable
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 07:29 am
@Linkat,
We've a similar law in the EU since November 2021 (EU Regulation 2019/2144 ).

New vehicle types (cars, trucks, buses) in the EU must be equipped with Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) from 6 July 2022. Initially, the requirement will apply to new vehicle types introduced to the market. From 7 July 2024, all new vehicles must be equipped with this driver assistance system.

Ultimately, the black box in the car functions like the one in an aeroplane, i.e. it is nothing more than an accident data memory with which the course of the accident can be reconstructed.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 07:59 am
Purely from an engineering standpoint, I think it would be fairly easy to design a kill switch that would be very difficult to bypass. Cars are all computer controlled, the computers run the engine including deciding when each piston fires. Shutting that down would be easy.

You would have to replace the conputer to bypass that, and there are ways to prevent someone from doing that without an encryption key.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 06:32 pm
Here is the NPR article

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/09/1053847935/congress-cars-drunk-driving-auto
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 10:08 am
This switch monitors a person driving habits before stopping the car from running again? What if a person has to deliberately drive erratically to avoid potholes on a road that has never been fixed?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 10:25 am
I expect the public outcry to water down this provision before it gets started.