No interest in Karen Hughes? What's going on?

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:37 am
Quote:
Think Again, Karen Hughes

By Anne Applebaum

Only two senators were in the room when Karen Hughes testified at her
confirmation hearings. When it came time for the Senate Foreign
Relations Committee to vote on her nomination yesterday, she was easily
approved. And thus with no discussion and no debate, Hughes takes over the
least noticed, least respected and possibly most important job in the
State Department. Her formal title is undersecretary of state for public
diplomacy and public affairs. In plain English, her job is to fight
anti-Americanism, promote American culture and above all to do intellectual
battle with the ideology of radical Islam, a set of beliefs so powerful
that they can persuade middle-class, second-generation British Muslims
to blow themselves up on buses and trains.

Presumably, President Bush selected Hughes for this task because she
was very good at running his election campaigns. And indeed, in the
testimony she gave last week to a nearly empty room, she sounded like she
was still running an election campaign. Like Hillary Clinton, she said
she wanted people around the world to know that she would be "listening"
to them: "I want to learn more about you and your lives, what you
believe, what you fear, what you dream, what you value most." Like Jesse
Jackson, she deployed alliteration, alluding to the four "E's":
"engagement, exchanges, education and empowerment."

Unfortunately, Hughes's most important constituents aren't going to
respond to engagement and empowerment, let alone exchange and education,
unless the latter involves those flight schools where they don't teach
you how to take off or land. It has become clear in Iraq, if it wasn't
already, that what we call the "war on terrorism" is in fact a small
part of a larger intellectual and religious struggle within Islam,
between moderates who want to live in modern countries, and radicals who want
to impose their extreme interpretation of sharia , or religious law. So
far, most of the money, and most of the "public diplomacy," has been
channeled to the radicals. Consider, for example, an extraordinary report
published this year by the Center for Religious Freedom, a division of
Freedom House, which surveys more than 200 books and pamphlets
collected at mosques and Islamic centers in U.S. cities. Most were in Arabic.
All were published by the Saudi government or royal family, and all
promote the extreme form of Wahhabi Islam found in Saudi Arabia. The books
reflect contempt for the United States, condemn democracy as
un-Islamic, and claim that Muslims are religiously obliged to hate Christians and
Jews. Most insidiously, the documents denounce moderate Muslims,
especially those who advocate religious tolerance, as infidels. If a Muslim
commits adultery or becomes a homosexual, one pamphlet -- published by
the Saudi government's ministry of Islamic affairs -- advises that "it
would be lawful for Muslims to spill his blood and take his money."

I am citing this study not merely to finger the Saudis, but also to
show what we are up against. The Saudi king's own Web site boasts of his
support for mosques and schools in Lagos, Islamabad, Madrid, Buenos
Aires and elsewhere. A friend reports recently seeing a new Saudi mosque
in Kosovo. We have to assume that the materials found in the United
States exist in all of those places, too.

To fight these ideas, friendly state visits from Laura Bush will not
suffice. Neither will more Britney Spears songs for Muslim teenagers,
which is what we play on U.S.-funded Farsi and Arabic radio in the Middle
East. Instead, we need to monitor the intellectual and theological
struggle for the soul of Islam, and we need to help the moderates win. This
means making sure that counter-arguments are heard whenever and
wherever Muslim clerics and intellectuals are talking, despite the impact of
Saudi money.

The United States has engaged in a project like this once before. In
the 1950s and '60s, the West European left was also bitterly divided,
with social democrats on one side and pro-Soviet communists on the other.
We backed the social democrats. CIA money was used, for example, to
found Encounter, a small but influential magazine whose editors promoted
not just pro-Americanism but also the principles of democracy and
capitalism, largely through allowing both sides to argue their cases.

I concede that the analogy is not exact, that the present case is far
more difficult and that we have a long way to go. At the moment, the
State Department probably spends more money denying visas to moderate
Muslim scholars than it does funding magazines for them to write in. The
traditional tools of public diplomacy -- American libraries, Fourth of
July parties, "citizen ambassadors" -- are uniquely unsuited to the task
of encouraging debate within Islam as well. But Hughes has nothing to
lose by dropping the four "E's," going back to the rest of the alphabet,
and thinking way, way outside the box. Judging by Bali, Madrid, London
and Sharm el-Sheikh, not to mention New York and Washington, whatever
we're doing right now, it isn't working.

[email protected]

Think Again, Karen Hughes

Have to go look for a better link. Mine isn't working correctly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,374 • Replies: 41
No top replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:51 am
Corrected link reposted above.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:09 pm
Yes.....I have a keen interest in Karen Hughes but before I jump in here I'd like to know if you're trolling or if you have a real interest in discussing her new role.

rayban
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:35 pm
Very interested in her area of assignment. Struck by the lack of interest by Senators or media, though. Very curious.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:54 pm
Karen Hughes has been tasked with mission impossible and the Congress as well as the MSM have witnessed the fragmented confusion of others similarly tasked and probably dismiss her as a lightweight, in over her head. I sincerely hopes she proves them wrong. Partly because I always favor the underdog but primarily because any real success in her task would reap huge dividends for the future of this country. I bought and read some of her book but could not finish it because she is boringly honest but not in the least naive. She has served the President well and I have read that is was a very positive counterbalance to the Boy Genius....Rove.

She gives a hint of great ability to focus and identify the problem and then to bring the forces to bear that will solve the problem. Since she has the full support of the Pres I think she has a chance.

My hope is that she will choose all her own loyal people and not allow any old State Department (retired on active duty) parasites into her organization who will undermine and dilute her efforts. I feel confident that she has traveled the halls of power at the highest level long enough, that she if fully aware of the snakes and where they hide.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:04 pm
rayban1 wrote:
Yes.....I have a keen interest in Karen Hughes but before I jump in here I'd like to know if you're trolling or if you have a real interest in discussing her new role.

rayban

first question is, will the misogynistic islamics even accept her in any role, much less listen to what she has to say.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:37 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
rayban1 wrote:

rayban

first question is, will the misogynistic islamics even accept her in any role, much less listen to what she has to say.

DTOM

I would be very surprised if her face or personality would ever become common knowledge around the world. Her role will be exactly opposite that of Rice. Karen Hughes will merely be pulling the levers of a propaganda machine that will be highly organized and efficient . Yes.....I meant Propaganda........this is the war we have been losing to Al Jazeera and other media organizations that have become the Propaganda machines of the enemy. Unless I am severely mistaken, Al Jazeera will never know what or who hit them but I think you will see them identified as the enemy and discredited as pawns of Al Queda and Bin Laden. I also believe she and Rice have high regard for each other and will become a deadly team in transforming the image of America around the Globe.

Rice's will be the face seen by the world, Karen Hughes will remain hidden.

I truly hope I am correct in my predictions and not just wishful thinking. You are correct DTOM, the Arab world will never believe or give credit to another woman from the State Department but I believe they have already accepted Rice and her role as the voice of Bush due to her immediate and sudden appearance on the world stage which as had such enormous impact.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 03:24 pm
rayban 1 wrote:

Quote:
Karen Hughes will merely be pulling the levers of a propaganda machine that will be highly organized and efficient . Yes.....I meant Propaganda........this is the war we have been losing to Al Jazeera and other media organizations that have become the Propaganda machines of the enemy. Unless I am severely mistaken, Al Jazeera will never know what or who hit them but I think you will see them identified as the enemy and discredited as pawns of Al Queda and Bin Laden. I also believe she and Rice have high regard for each other and will become a deadly team in transforming the image of America around the Globe.

This speaks to one of the most obvious questions raised in my mind. Will it be just PR, image management, Madison Avenue style or cognitive restructuring efforts?

Other questions, in no particular order:

1. Is this the first time someone in the State Department has been charged with this particular effort in the very job description?
2. Regardless of what it says on paper, is it mainly, or even solely aimed at a limited segment of the earth's population?
3. What perception about the US are they interested in tinkering with? The correct perceptions? THe incorrect perceptions? In what areas? Just Foreign Policy?

Karen Hughes obviously has the confidence and trust of GW. She came back from Texas to do something of importance, otherwise she would have stayed put. She is hardly a lightweight, and I would be very surprised if anyone underestimated her in any area of endeavor.

So why no interest in her hearings?
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:23 pm
Sumac

I'm taking a short break from my soapbox so I hope someone else will "wade in". I'll come back later if you can't get any action.... to me this is a very interesting situation and I was hoping she would be tasked with this job.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:01 pm
Just wanted to repost this excerpt from sumac's article---

Unfortunately, Hughes's most important constituents aren't going to respond to engagement and empowerment, let alone exchange and education, unless the latter involves those flight schools where they don't teach you how to take off or land. It has become clear in Iraq, if it wasn't already, that what we call the "war on terrorism" is in fact a small
part of a larger intellectual and religious struggle within Islam,
between moderates who want to live in modern countries, and radicals who want to impose their extreme interpretation of sharia , or religious law. So far, most of the money, and most of the "public diplomacy," has been channeled to the radicals. Consider, for example, an extraordinary report published this year by the Center for Religious Freedom, a division of Freedom House, which surveys more than 200 books and pamphlets
collected at mosques and Islamic centers in U.S. cities. Most were in Arabic. All were published by the Saudi government or royal family, and all promote the extreme form of Wahhabi Islam found in Saudi Arabia. The books reflect contempt for the United States, condemn democracy as
un-Islamic, and claim that Muslims are religiously obliged to hate Christians and Jews. Most insidiously, the documents denounce moderate Muslims, especially those who advocate religious tolerance, as infidels. If a Muslim commits adultery or becomes a homosexual, one pamphlet -- published by the Saudi government's ministry of Islamic affairs -- advises that "it would be lawful for Muslims to spill his blood and take his money."

I am citing this study not merely to finger the Saudis, but also to
show what we are up against. The Saudi king's own Web site boasts of his
support for mosques and schools in Lagos, Islamabad, Madrid, Buenos
Aires and elsewhere. A friend reports recently seeing a new Saudi mosque
in Kosovo. We have to assume that the materials found in the United
States exist in all of those places, too.

Bastards.

--------
My opinion of Karen is that she is tough, very driven and very frequently correct in her responses to situations. Of course, she and I have the same opinions, so I may again be in the minority. Laughing

I think she and Condi are going to significantly address Saudi and the other nations which continue to be abusive to women and young girls. I'm proud there are two strong, intelligent women on the job in key positions in the State Department.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 06:24 pm
I would love to believe this, but if employees in any administration serve at the pleasure of the President, then all activities will be driven by what are perceived to be over-arching principles or interests. Whether they be 'national' or some other rubric.

To the shame of this country, our actions, and foreign policy itself, has long led us to some very compromising, if not damning, behaviors.

It is as if we support dictator A's behavior because it serves some more important goal.

To the extent that the countries that hurt any part of its populace are of USE to an administration, how can a subset of employees of the administration work contrary to the aims that are judged to be more important in the scheme of things.

Having a strong woman on the Supreme Court, and having most of the US wanting another one on the Supreme Court, did not lead the President to act in that direction.
s
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 09:07 pm
Ah yes.....I suspected you had an ax to grind here Sumac. You're not really interested in why there was no interest in Hughes's appointment and confirmation hearing. Spell it out and you might get a response.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:43 am
Please don't try to second guess me here, or assume anything. I am genuinely interested in the premise of her appointment.

We are not seen well by most of the rest of the world. What can we do about that? How?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:27 am
sumac wrote:
It is as if we support dictator A's behavior because it serves some more important goal.

nothing new on this one. the age old saying, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" comes to mind. the u.s is not the first or the last to make use of the concept.

although we can look back into our own relatively short history and see that our former enemy, france, came to our aid during the revolution.

sometimes the alliance of convenience or expediency can later become a pain though, as we saw happen post ww II with our ol' pal, uncle joe, helping to remove hitler only to take his place and beat his record in tyranical abuses.

the more recent events with saddam totally nullify what ever benefit was supposed to come out of backing him in the war with iran. meanwhile, iran continues to do it's thing.

it does put forward a pretty good logic for having the ability to defend yourself without help from others. but that ability also has it's own dangers to be careful with.

that said, if hughes' job is to propagandize in the middle east, as rayban states, i'm not sure why the me's would take her word over local speakers. and if they do, just what will she be saying ?

like lash, i like the idea of women being more involved, but i don't know if the middle east is the place to start them out. guess we'll see what happens.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
No, nothing new on it, but we sure have gotten a black eye because of it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:30 pm
sumac wrote:
No, nothing new on it, but we sure have gotten a black eye because of it.

yep. if ya play with tar some of it's gonna stick to you. or something like that...

i suspect that we'll eventually have to deal with some of the current crop, such as mushareff, sometime in the future. it's not like he's a good guy, and i came away from an interview with him the other day wondering why we bother now. he's doing the bare minimum and only to keep the u.s. from sending special forces in to pakistan.

same with the saudis.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:14 pm
DTOM suggested:

Quote:
i came away from an interview with him the other day wondering why we bother now. he's doing the bare minimum and only to keep the u.s. from sending special forces in to pakistan.

Now that is quite a statement, as the PR has long been that he has been doing a fantastic job as our ally, going above and beyond with great difficulty, managing a messy balancing act with his own populace, exposing himself to increased risks of assassination, etc.

Granted, our pay back to him has been fairly well discussed. But Special Forces? And what makes us think that they aren't there? They certainly would not advertise that fact...either the US or his administration.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:24 pm
the special forces comment is my own. obviously, he doesn't want the u.s. sending troops into pakistan, and that he did say.

he does have his own balancing act. he mentioned more than once that if he did indeed nab osam, he'd have quite a problem of his own. one could argue that he's caught between iraq, err, a rock and a hard space. but in the long run, half measures on his part are not really much help.

i doesn't escape me that mushareff is a dictator who gained the power via a coup. he spends a lot of time nackering with india. why either one of these countries can feed their people properly, but possess nuclear weapons is beyond me.

really, unless there's an unforeseen event, it appears to me that mushareff and the u.s. will tangle in some way before all's done.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:46 pm
But I imagine that was all part of the deal: we won't mess with you, we'll go light on you or keep our mouths shut about x,y, and z. And here's money and military toys that you want.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:01 pm
Sumac
Sumac, I've been interested in Karen Hughes since Bush's first presidential campaign, and have posted quit a bit about her.

Hughes is among the really important people in the Bush Adm. She can write speeches that sound exactly as Bush speaks. Bush gets stage fright when required to speak in public and Hughes has helped him survive that disability.

Bush also pays attention to Hughes' opinions. I think he does because Hughes' personality very much resembles Barbara Bush. Bush takes after his mother, not his father. So Bush and Hughes are a match made in heaven.

Hughes is a very smart woman. Too bad she doesn't agree with my opinions. :wink:
BBB
0 Replies