Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 08:07 pm
Rex the Wonder Wrote:

Quote:
So if I have an abortion in a country where it is legal, it is not murder. But if I have an abortion in a country where it is illegal, it is murder. Totally subjective to law, with nothing to do with ethics whatsoever.

I don't know a lot about where you stand on things, but thank you so much for this statement!

This thing about definitions and Frank is a bone of contention with me.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:15 pm
flushd wrote:
....... A developing child is a living being (which if you would have read my post correctly I stated is PART of the mother - not an individual sentient being). A virus is also a living being. A mushroom is a living being.
However, a mushroom does not have the same legal rights in soceity as a born human being. A developing child does not either..........

An unborn child is not part of the mother, even though they are joined physically. (Siamese twins are two persons, not one, even though they are joined physically and may even share major organs, which the mother and child do not.)

The unborn child has a distinct genetic identity from the moment of conception. The unborn's unique DNA marks him as an individual from that moment.

Just because the unborn is physically dependent on the mother does not mean that he should have no rights. He will be physically dependent for a very long time after he is born, as well.

If this is not the case, then at what magic moment do you propose that the unborn is no longer 'a part of the mother' and becomes an individual and worthy of protection? At the moment of birth? Sometime before? Sometime after?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:23 pm
Rex the Wonder Squirrel wrote:

So if I have an abortion in a country where it is legal, it is not murder. But if I have an abortion in a country where it is illegal, it is murder. Totally subjective to law, with nothing to do with ethics whatsoever.

Of course, Rex, we know that the lawfulness of abortion has NOTHING to do with the support it receives from abortion fans.

Many will tell you straight up that they would support 'a woman's {moral} right to an abortion' even if it was illegal.

So where it is legal, abortion fans hide behind the law; and where it is not they are eager and willing to violate it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:32 pm
flushd wrote:
A mushroom is a living being. However, a mushroom does not have the same legal rights in soceity as a born human being.
In our town, a family of morels recently picketed city hall for 'shroom rights.

It soon became ugly. A squad of jack booted olives descended on the hapless mushrooms wildly swinging whips of linguini and recklessly spraying marinara sauce. The heated battle soon melted the nearby stand of mozzarella trees.

The polizza, thinking dinner was being served, sprinkled aged parmesan. Soon it was over. Many of the townsfolk were shocked at the feasting; but not me and not Joe Sixpack.

Who did those 'shrooms think they were, anyway? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cheers.gif
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:39 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:42 pm
'Shroom abuse is no laughing matter, MA!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:44 pm
Neologist Wrote:

Quote:
'Shroom abuse is no laughing matter, MA!

You are so right. I am against abuse of any kind. I promise not to pull up those 'shrooms that are growing wild in my yard. Can't say what the lawnmower man's intentins are though! Laughing
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:45 pm
Very well!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:51 pm
real life wrote:

If this is not the case, then at what magic moment do you propose that the unborn is no longer 'a part of the mother' and becomes an individual and worthy of protection? At the moment of birth? Sometime before? Sometime after?

Quickening... generally considered by most to be a reasonable time. I assume from your discussion topics, flushD, that you are approaching the idea that there is a real person there from the moment the penis leaves the vagina. That means that not even the Morning After Pill is moral. (OF course, anybody having sex for any reason other than babies might be immoral in your books, who knows?)

When you get to that level, then... spilling the seed ought to be illegal. And then, let's see, maybe... masturbation?

You are on a seriously slippery slope, sir. My opinion, and it is as conservative as they come IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, is that anybody not directly and personally associated with a pregnancy ought to keep their minds, their noses and their laws seriously away from a woman and her own body.

Your morality is for you... let others have their own. If a woman chooses not to have a child, it is probably for a very, very good reason. Why MEN have the right to say anything about pregnancy at all is nearly beyond me and certainly no man ought to have anything to say UNLESS he has had an active part in the conception.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote:

Many will tell you straight up that they would support 'a woman's {moral} right to an abortion' even if it was illegal.

So where it is legal, abortion fans hide behind the law; and where it is not they are eager and willing to violate it.

And amazingly, people like you who have nothing to do with the lives of either or with the pregancy itself feel it is absolutely necessary to shove their morality down the throats of others. Do you ever see that as an amazingly gross violation of privacy?

Apparently, you wouldn't know the Constitution if it stood up and bit you.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:21 pm
Thanks neo for a much-needed laugh Laughing

And people - stop calling me Sir!!
Even if I were a male, I would not be a Sir
Rolling Eyes

Right now the only thing I feel glad about concerning this discussion is that I live in Canada. I'm growing more patriotic by the moment. :wink:

Bring back J.C. and his punching-at-protestors antics. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:06 am
Piffka wrote:
real life wrote:

Quickening... generally considered by most to be a reasonable time. I assume from your discussion topics, flushD, that you are approaching the idea that there is a real person there from the moment the penis leaves the vagina. That means that not even the Morning After Pill is moral. (OF course, anybody having sex for any reason other than babies might be immoral in your books, who knows?)

When you get to that level, then... spilling the seed ought to be illegal. And then, let's see, maybe... masturbation?

You are on a seriously slippery slope, sir. My opinion, and it is as conservative as they come IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT, is that anybody not directly and personally associated with a pregnancy ought to keep their minds, their noses and their laws seriously away from a woman and her own body.

Your morality is for you... let others have their own. If a woman chooses not to have a child, it is probably for a very, very good reason. Why MEN have the right to say anything about pregnancy at all is nearly beyond me and certainly no man ought to have anything to say UNLESS he has had an active part in the conception.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quote:

And amazingly, people like you who have nothing to do with the lives of either or with the pregancy itself feel it is absolutely necessary to shove their morality down the throats of others. Do you ever see that as an amazingly gross violation of privacy?

Apparently, you wouldn't know the Constitution if it stood up and bit you.

Hi Piffka,

Sounds like you are running for office. Probably Planned Parenthood precinctperson. You have their propaganda down pat.

Where to start ? Hmmm

Quickening -- you seem to indicate that this is a reasonable time to allow protection to the unborn. Tell us. When is quickening?

Should abortion be illegal after quickening occurs? Of course you are aware that in many states it is not illegal even after this point. Are you actively opposed to abortion after quickening, or is it merely lip service, since you have specified an undefined and therefore unenforcable target time?

Quote:
anybody not directly and personally associated with a pregnancy ought to keep their minds, their noses and their laws seriously away from a woman and her own body.

Apart from the fact that there are two bodies, the woman's and the unborn child's , that we are discussing IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT ( a point you no doubt would like to gloss over ) , do you hold the same reasoning with other crimes of violence against persons i.e. rape, assault, kidnapping --- that they should concern no one but the immediate parties involved?

If you are finished growling, I would very much be interested in your answer, especially if you think you can cite the Constitution as providing for legal abortion.

BTW after all your huffing and puffing about morality, can you cite ANY law that is NOT an expression of SOMEONE'S morality i.e. someone's concept of what is right and what is wrong?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 12:16 am
neologist wrote:
flushd wrote:
A mushroom is a living being. However, a mushroom does not have the same legal rights in soceity as a born human being.
In our town, a family of morels recently picketed city hall for 'shroom rights.

It soon became ugly. A squad of jack booted olives descended on the hapless mushrooms wildly swinging whips of linguini and recklessly spraying marinara sauce. The heated battle soon melted the nearby stand of mozzarella trees.

The polizza, thinking dinner was being served, sprinkled aged parmesan. Soon it was over. Many of the townsfolk were shocked at the feasting; but not me and not Joe Sixpack.

Who did those 'shrooms think they were, anyway? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cheers.gif

How dare they think that the law should have anything to do with morels!

Sounds like they've been fed a bunch of manure.

If they want a fair pizza the pie, they should come out of the dark cages before somebody cans 'em.

(What were the polizza thinking anyway? Cutting in on a situation that way can be very dangerous. They musta been sauced, every last one. Reminds me of my Aunt Jovy.)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:28 am
Rex the Wonder Squirrel wrote:
If you'll allow me to respond to your arisen problem, Mr. Apisa...

Frank Apisa wrote:
I don't know if this new definition actually exists in a dictionary or not...

[...]

Ya know...I just wonder if the definition the squirrel offered is actually there.

First of all, you do well to target the source of my information. Yes, the definition does indeed exist in Webster's.

Not only does it exist, but it is hardly a "new definition". In fact, I cross-referenced that definition with Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary published in 1913, as well as Easton's 1897 Dictionary (which is old enough to actually cite biblical passages underneath of its definitions, including one of its definitions for murder if you could believe it).

Well…it is most assuredly not a "new definition"…and I cannot help but wonder why you would go so far back as 1913 and 1897 to find a dictionary that has a definition like that.

None of the dictionaries I have show that particular definition…and all that I have show a variation of the "unlawful killing…" as its primary definition.

In any case…since there are over a million abortions performed here in the United States each year…can you share with us the number of murder indictments brought during the last 10 years against abortionists or woman having abortions…and the number of convictions?

That might be a better indication of whether or not it is murder...than conflicting dictionary definitions.

Quote:
Quote:
but if it does, that dictionary...and of course our friend, the squirrel, have managed to define all of the killing done by our military personnel in the various wars in which our country has engaged...as murders.

[...]

Just about all the killing done in war is done intentionally...and with premeditation.

[...]

And although it needn't be mentioned, that would make all our military personnel who engaged in war...murderers.
Hummm!

If it is...it is a shame, because it is a preposterous definition of the word...and it does a disservice to people who serve in the military.

Here is where you make the mistake between justified and unjustified murder, an issue which comes heavily into play in regards to such actions as military personnel.

Actually, here is whether or not one should use an almost 100 year old dictionary in a discussion like this comes into play.

In any case, are you suggesting that we are now going to discuss "justified and unjustified murder"…rather than "justified and unjustified killing!"

Wow…the extremes some people will go through so that they don't have to acknowledge they simply made a mistake!

Quote:
An argument could be made about the innocence of the victims, but that's another issue.

Oh, yes. We can certainly argue that the young men and women fighting for their countries are not "innocent"…so that the "innocent" young men and woman of our country can justify their deaths as not being "murder" under the definitions given in your almost 100 year old dictionary.

But you are right…let's leave that for another time.

Quote:
Now before you go off and say "Well, abortion can be justified too-- so what's the difference between abortion and killing in wartime?", let me clarify something.

When it comes to the justification of the morality of a certain action, everything is subjective. I may think shooting you in the face for stealing my parking space (yes, that rhymed) is justified, but of course you may think otherwise.

So, whose opinion is correct? There's no way to tell. Without some supernatural entity (take as much liberty with that as you wish) to definitively be the basis of "right" and "wrong", there really is no basis for "right" and "wrong" outside of each person's own opinion.

Well, Squirrel…even with Zeus, Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny defining what is "right" and "wrong"…we are still are left with a great deal of subjectivity, aren't we?

Quote:
Sure, we could go in circles all day long about how a supernatural entity is not needed to set definitive law for the benefit of the majority regarding ethics, but that doesn't prove anything right or wrong-- just the most pragmatic for the time.

Or we can waste a lot of time on this nonsense so that we don't get to the point. (It's your post, take your time. I'll be here for you no matter how long you take!)

Quote:
Thus the impasse we come to as two different people with two different views-- I personally believing in a supernatural entity that defines the basis of what is right and wrong, and thus the murder of unborn living human beings (by certain definitions which I have adopted as truth through my own logical testing and reasoning) is wrong. And while I do not know the specifics of your own views, I think I can gather that you believe that abortion is not murder (by certain definitions which you have adopted as truth through your own logical testing and reasoning) but rather a lawful practice that, in some cases, is actually very pragmatic.

Well…except for the use of the word "believe" as applied to my opinions and views…I can pretty much agree with your "gathering" on this. And it was well put, Rex!

Quote:
In other words, our worldviews stand in constrast to each other, and thus I can agree to disagree with on this matter, our personal beliefs not subsiding.

Assuming you meant "contrast" in that sentence…I can pretty much agree with it.

Quote:
flushd wrote:
Murder is unlawful killing.

YES! Now you've got it.

It is, in my opinion, best used as a "legal" concept…rather than as an ethical one…although I expect that ethical considerations are why it comes into play in a country's law. But unless a killing is illegal or unlawful in the country in which it occurs…it ought not to be considered "murder" in a discussion of this sort.

Quote:
You, sir, should read some actual texts on what law is all about. I suggest starting with Plato's Republic to help you on your journey.

You, squirrely, should stop being so pompous and arrogant…and you should probably stop making assumptions about what debate opponents have and have not read.

In undergraduate school, I had a major in Philosophy and Religion…and I have read Plato's Republic.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:39 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
MY POINT IS THAT............it is a living human being!!

IT IS NOTHING BUT THAT!!

It is a human. Aren't all humans protected by the legal system? All humans are constantly developing.

Why do you have so much trouble with that?

You can go back to almost the beginning of these 135+ pages and find the same arguments that you make having been dismissed and actually laughed at. You can even read that a baby can be aborted up until it actually leaves the birth canal completely. Sick, but true according to Mr. A. I wonder what the position on a cesarean would be under these circumstances....would the emerging baby still be considered a fetus?

A man can be convicted of murder for kicking his wife in the stomach and killing the baby, but abortion is ok. Rolling Eyes

Yeah...abortion is legal.

I feel sorry for you if you do not see the difference between a woman decided to end a pregnancy...and a man decided to end it by kicking a woman in the stomach.

But...your side has so many bizarre notions and arguments...I guess something like this has to be read and snickered at.

Ah, so since it is legal in some places...just do it. If murder is legal...just do it. If rape is legal...just do it.

Actually, I pity you since you find that a woman deciding to end her pregnancy is ok, but it is not legal for a man to end it by kicking her in the stomach. Talk about bizarre!!! Any reasonable person would not see a difference.

Yes, Frank...what you write must be snickered at since it is so sick and against what reasonable people would consider to be morally correct.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:41 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Quote:
You, squirrely, should stop being so pompous and arrogant…and you should probably stop making assumptions about what debate opponents have and have not read.

In undergraduate school, I had a major in Philosophy and Religion…and I have read Plato's Republic.

Well, aren't you special
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:50 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

I see no difference other than it is legal for a woman to do it and not the man (in the instance of him kicking a woman in the stomach).

One is a woman exercising rights over her own body...the other isn't.

If you cannot see a difference...you've got serious troubles.

Quote:

The same end is achieved.

No it isn't. One "end" is to exercise the right to have control over one's body...the other isn't.

Quote:
The child is killed.

There is no "child" to kill. But in both cases...a fetus is destroyed. I've already explained the difference.

Crap, Frank. If the man kicks the woman in the stomach to end her pregnancy at the request of the woman. It is the woman exercising control over her body. Now tell me that they are different.

If you cannot see this, you have serious problems.

In the second case, the charge is murder. Fetus or child.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:55 am
You've gone over the edge, Intrepid.

Have your morning shot of booze...and things will clear up.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:56 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

Of course in one case the woman is deciding and in the other case the man is deciding. But, the same end is still achieved.

Frank Apisa wrote:
No...the same end is not acheived.

In one case...the end was to exercise a right to terminate a pregnancy by the pregnant woman. In the second...the end was to do harm to another person.

Think!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Frank. In the second...the end was to do harm to another person - the growing baby. Maybe you understand after all.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:00 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
You've gone over the edge, Intrepid.

Have your morning shot of booze...and things will clear up.

Mr. Philosopher has spoken. That was very intelligent, Frank. Your assumption that I am a drinker is as off base as your assumption that killing a fetus is perfectly ok.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:01 am
Intrepid wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

Of course in one case the woman is deciding and in the other case the man is deciding. But, the same end is still achieved.

Frank Apisa wrote:
No...the same end is not acheived.

In one case...the end was to exercise a right to terminate a pregnancy by the pregnant woman. In the second...the end was to do harm to another person.

Think!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Frank. In the second...the end was to do harm to another person - the growing baby. Maybe you understand after all.

Have a drink, Intrepid...smoke a bone.

Do something.

You are so out of control you are laughable.

And for someone like you..."with a Mensa quality brain"...that looks particularly ugly!

Twisted Evil
0 Replies