Eorl

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:00 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Eorl,

What makes me think I have the right to control the woman for the period of gestation? Well, since I believe abortion is equal to murder, I think that answers that question.

That you think it is murder does not make it so.

Quote:
Blissfully unaware of the consequences? Surely, you don't mean that since I have, myself been in this situation and I fully know all the consequences.

No, you only know the consequences of your particular situation. You chose to accept all the consequences of pregnancy and birth. You advocate making the same choices for all other women regardless of their situations.

Quote:
Slavery of the mother.....? So now being pregnant and carrying a child is putting a woman into slavery? Surely that is not what you mean

Yes that is what I mean. If you force her to continue with a pregnancy when she would choose otherwise, then you are taking control of her body against her will.

I realise I am being obtuse by defining slavery so broadly, but remember that I do so in response to being labelled "pro-abortion" when I am no such thing.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:42 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Good to see you! Ok, check out this link for the slavery issue.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-slavery.html

I think that sums it up pretty well.

Nah, it doesn't sum it up at all. It just glosses over the issue with biblical references to servants among the Hebrew people which is not at all the same thing as the keeping of non Hebrew slaves. The non Hebrew slave keeping described in Leviticus 25 was very similar to the kind of slavery practiced in the US during the 1700's and 1800's, but I think you already knew that. Crying or Very sad

IMO this quote from your link is nothing short of a bold faced lie.

Quote:
So, yes, the Bible does condone slavery. However, the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.

Leviticus 25
Quote:
44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:48 pm
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Nah, it doesn't sum it up at all. It just glosses over the issue with biblical references to servants among the Hebrew people which is not at all the same thing as the keeping of non Hebrew slaves. The non Hebrew slave keeping described in Leviticus 25 was very similar to the kind of slavery practiced in the US during the 1700's and 1800's, but I think you already knew that. Crying or Very sad

Ahem. You do know that the Christians weren't even around when the Hebrews were slaves and that it was neither the Jews nor the Christians who had Hebrew slaves, but rather the Egyptians? And was that condoned by God? Not according to the Bible. Moses was the prophet appointed to lead the Hebrews out of that situation. You can read all about it in Exodus in the Old Testament.

Quote:
So, yes, the Bible does condone slavery. However, the slavery the Bible allowed for in no way resembled the racial slavery that plagued our world in the past few centuries.

So putting it all into context, where is the lie? The link MommaAngel posted gave accurate information, and her statement that the slavery the Bible allowed for, (i.e. condoned) was exactly as MommaAngel described. I sincerely you owe her an apology for calling her a liar.

Leviticus 25
Quote:
44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.

All this is saying is that you can make slaves of those you conquer--this was culturally permitted throughout all peoples and cultures of that time--but you can't make slaves out of each other. All things considered, that doesn't seem to me to be an unreasonable rule.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:55 pm
Foxfyre,

Thank you, I really thought that explanation (the link) was a rather good one.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:02 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

All this is saying is that you can make slaves of those you conquer--this was culturally permitted throughout all peoples and cultures of that time--but you can't make slaves out of each other. All things considered, that doesn't seem to me to be an unreasonable rule.

That really is a dangerous statement though. The North defeated the South. Your response would indicate that I'd now be a slave? We have ground troops in Iraq, and have removed or converted the previous Iraqi Army. We may now purchase the Iraqi people?

It still seems like a rather unreasonable rule. Especially if it was backed by a God of Love. (or have I read your reply wrong?)
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:04 pm
Foxy, I was wondering the same thing as Questioner.

Are you saying you think slavery is reasonable?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
Questioner & flushd.....

I must have read foxfyre's answer differently than the two of you did. I distinctly read the words "this was culturally permitted throughout all peoples cultures of that time" The key words here are of that time. I don't think that anybody is advocating slavery now.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
I am with Intrepid. I thought that is what was said.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:40 pm
It was common practice then. The Ishmaelites would sack the Gideonites and take slaves. All those tribes and areas would fight and take everything--including the people.

It was as normal as breathing back then. (To read the history.)

Certainly, I'm sure no one here condones it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:51 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Questioner & flushd.....

I must have read foxfyre's answer differently than the two of you did. I distinctly read the words "this was culturally permitted throughout all peoples cultures of that time" The key words here are of that time. I don't think that anybody is advocating slavery now.

Ah, alright. That last sentence kind of threw me off.

Cheers!
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 10:59 pm
A question for you here (not about slavery).

Why is abortion so hotly debated? Why so many postings on this thread?

Why aren't state sanctioned murders, such as what is going on in Iraq, as much of a hot topic?

Murder is murder.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:02 pm
Englishmajor,

I can understand your question. But, I think in times of war things are a bit different. That's my opinion anyway.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:09 pm
Also there are different threads for different topics. THere are lots and lots of threads on Iraq.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:20 pm
Oh, I agree with that! But my point is that if you're going to save a baby/prevent an abortion, why is it later ok to send that person off to be killed? Suddenly the state says murder is ok?

It's still murder, whether you kill someone before birth or on the battlefield.

I don't expect answers from any of you. Mostly because there aren't any.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:22 pm
englishmajor wrote:

Murder is murder.

Not true.

Semantics again.

Some say abortion is murder.
Some say capital punishment is murder.
Some say euthanasia is murder.
Some say war is murder.
Some say contraception is murder.
Some say self defense is murder.
Some say terrorist attacks are murder.
Some say political assassination is murder.
Some say peak hour traffic is murder, especially on the coast road on a Friday.

I guess that is your point really EM?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:29 pm
Want to switch to another thread? The born agains are going to get mad, here.......hijacking their thread.....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:37 pm
Englishmajor,

Can you tell me who made that statement (that is your signature line)?

This born again isn't getting mad. I love that avatar! Pretty colors!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:53 pm
englishmajor wrote:
Oh, I agree with that! But my point is that if you're going to save a baby/prevent an abortion, why is it later ok to send that person off to be killed? Suddenly the state says murder is ok?

It's still murder, whether you kill someone before birth or on the battlefield.

I don't expect answers from any of you. Mostly because there aren't any.

Sure there are. The answer is the guys and gals who go off to war are grown ups who choose to join the military of their own free will, and though there would be consequences, any one of them can refuse to go to war even after they join up. Nobody makes them join up and nobody sends them off to be killed, but they accept that risk just as firefighters, police officers, hazmat teams, and race car drivers, etc. accept that risk every day. The best we can do for them is to give them the best training, equipment, and authority to do their jobs with the least amount of personal risk.

On the other hand, the unborn have no choice. They are fully at the mercy of those grown ups who will decide if they will live or die. The best we can do for them is to give them the best chance to arrive and grow up with love, positive direction, hope, and opportunity.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:57 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Ahem. You do know that the Christians weren't even around when the Hebrews were slaves and that it was neither the Jews nor the Christians who had Hebrew slaves, but rather the Egyptians? And was that condoned by God? Not according to the Bible. Moses was the prophet appointed to lead the Hebrews out of that situation. You can read all about it in Exodus in the Old Testament.

For someone that frequently criticizes the reading skills of others, you certainly seem to have your own problems in that area. I was pointing out that MA's link downplayed biblical slavery by referencing Deu 15:12-15 which deals only with Hebrew bondservants in bond of other Hebrews. It conveniently neglected the Lev 25:44-46 passage which deals with non-Hebrew slaves (those that were different) authorized to be held as property by Hebrews.

Foxfyre wrote:
mesquite wrote:

Quote:

So putting it all into context, where is the lie? The link MommaAngel posted gave accurate information, and her statement that the slavery the Bible allowed for, (i.e. condoned) was exactly as MommaAngel described. I sincerely you owe her an apology for calling her a liar.

More evidence of a reading problem. I DID NOT CALL MA A LIAR! I said that a quote from her link was a lie, and I gave the reason why.

Foxfyre wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Leviticus 25
Quote:

No more unreasonable than say the US slavery of the 1700's & 1800's? Is your point that the Bible condones slavery because it was culturally accepted in THOSE DAYS? If so, that would be a perfect reason to NOT use the Bible as a moral standard.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 12:02 am
I'm still not sure what Foxy meant. Confused
0 Replies