Is your personal beliefs or privacy worth losing your job over?

hightor

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 05:58 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The Civil War has absolutely nothing to do with the Covid Pandemic.

You're right.
Quote:
It is just a silly trick to make the number 670,000 seem bigger than it really is.

You're wrong.

When dealing with large numbers of things it's a very common practice to give some idea of the magnitude by comparing the total number in one case with totals in other cases of which people are familiar. "The total number of sea gulls on the landfill was equal to the total number of bricks in the Great Wall of China". It's not meant to exaggerate anything, it's just a way of putting large numbers in perspective. BillRM could have said that the current number of US covid deaths is equivalent in number to two hundred twenty-three September 11th terrorist attacks. That doesn't make the total "seem big" – it is big. It doesn't need to be made to seem any bigger.
Quote:
This comparison is silly.

No. Your objection is what's silly.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 08:35 am
@hightor,
Even if that is true Hightor comparing Civil War deaths to Covid Deaths is a lie. He is trying to say that the impact of deaths from covid are as bad as those from the civil war. It is a gross exaggeration, and simply untrue.

One in 25 Americans died in the Civil War. Most families had an immediate family member who died, and even more were seriously wounded. Most Americans don't personally know someone who died from covid (I know 2 people who contracted covid, and both recovered and are doing fine).

If 7 million Americans died from covid, then maybe you could compare itnto the Civil war. We are no where near that.

More people are dying of heart disease than of covid. Where is the panic about glazed donuts.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 08:50 am
@hightor,
The psychology is interesting. Why the need to exaggerate the impact of covid?

Yes, Covid is a serious, new pandemic that is causing hundred of thousands of early deaths.

It is not nearly as bad as war (ask anyone who has experienced war). It is not the leading cause of death on the US. It is not killing millions of people. It is not a death sentence even if you contract the disease (95% recover).

It is about extremism.

The facts say this is a pandemic, a serious public health crisis that is causing many early deaths.

We can stop there.... More people died from Covid than died in the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear attacks. These comparisons are designed to make covid worse than it is, and they are silly.
hightor

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:50 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Even if that is true Hightor comparing Civil War deaths to Covid Deaths is a lie.

No, I don't buy it. He's comparing numbers, that's all.
Quote:
He is trying to say that the impact of deaths from covid are as bad as
those from the civil war.

No he isn't. That may be your interpretation but there's nothing implicit in his language which confers a particular quality on the two death tolls, the only similarity is the quantity. Neither the rate of death nor the proportion to the total population is material to the point he's making.
Quote:
maxdancona wrote:
If a disease is serious enough, I would support deastic measures that take away civil rights. Innthe case of covid (especially as the pandemic is waning), we aren't anywhere close to this point.

And

maxdancona wrote:
On one side are anti-vaxxers, most of whom are flatly denying science.

On the other side are pro-vaccine extremists who are exaggerating risks, and calling for compliance at all costs without considering the costs.

Sound public policy lies in the middle of these two extremes.

BillRM wrote:

THE DEATH TOLL IN THE US STAND NOW AT OVER 700 THOUSANDS.

As that is as many as died in the civil war period so tell me more about exaggeration!!!!!!!

See those words, "as many as died"? "Many" refers to the number, nothing else.

Quote:
More people are dying of heart disease than of covid. Where is the panic about glazed donuts.

This typically inept attempt at a comparison makes BillRM's statement seem cogent! You don't pick up heart disease from having a casual conversation with someone at a close distance. You don't contract heart disease one day and possibly die three weeks later. And the people scheduled for hospitalization for heart disease are currently being put on hold because covid is considered to be a more urgent problem.

Quote:

I agree — a chronic condition like heart disease can't really be compared to contracting a severe respiratory illness during a pandemic!

And it has nothing to do with "extremism".

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:50 am
@maxdancona,
Lord love your attempt to downplay the death toll of covid!!!!!

Other then the civil war no war or combination of wars of the US can match this current death toll such as the two world wars the US fought and we are still counting the death tolls.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:55 am
@BillRM,
And I love your attempt to downplay the attrocities of war.

I am living through the covid pandemic in an urban area of the northeastern United States. I have first hand experience of what living through the covid pandemic is like. It isnt that bad, to be honest.

I have never lived through a civil war, but I think it would be much worse than what I am living through now.

Don't you agree?
Linkat

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:59 am
@Mame,
This is the point I was trying to make..even if a restaurant or other venue has proof of vaccination out in place either due to local restrictions or their own...we currently do not in Mass but they do in Boston...there is likely unvaccinated b people getting in. So to me it just gives people a false sense of security.

My daughter is attending college where to attend you needed proof of vaccination... Her particular college was not giving any exceptions for religious reasons. They still need to wear masks indoors. Well one of her teammates just tested positive for covid. So even with this all in place it still happens. Coincidently she was just tested a few days ago as she had a cold and they wanted to ensure it was not covid...fortunately it came back negative.

I guess my overall point is some of these mandates are really not doing what they should so you need to take your our health and safety into your own hands.
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 10:19 am
@maxdancona,
So you think that watching love ones some in the prime of their life slowly died on machines and not even being able to hold their hands in many cases is better then having love ones dying in wars??????????
maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 10:30 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

So you think that watching love ones some in the prime of their life slowly died on machines and not even being able to hold their hands in many cases is better then having love ones dying in wars??????????

Yes, I do.

I am living in the middle of covid. I live in an urban area in the Northeast US. I have first hand experience living in a Covid zone.

Are you comparing this experience with the experience of people living through actual wars in Afghanistan and Syria?

I think your argument is absurd.
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
Lol and I think that your trying to downplay the 700 thousands deaths many completely unneeded since the covid vaccines is more then absurd.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 10:47 am
@BillRM,
Are you downplaying the more than a million preventable heart disease deaths during the same time period?

I don't see you ranting about glazed donuts?
hightor

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:07 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Are you downplaying the more than a million preventable heart disease deaths during the same time period?

somebody wrote:
You don't pick up heart disease from having a casual conversation with someone at a close distance. You don't contract heart disease one day and possibly die three weeks later. And the people scheduled for hospitalization for heart disease are currently being put on hold because covid is considered to be a more urgent problem.

How many healthcare workers quit from professional burnout because of the influx of CVD patients? How many reactionaries deny the existence of CVD? How many hucksters get national attention for pushing malaria medicine and veterinary dewormers for CVD?

This pandemic isn't even over yet and you've already concluded that it's nothing serious.

hightor

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:12 am
@Linkat,
Quote:

I guess my overall point is some of these mandates are really not doing what they should...

We're not able to run double-blind tests but I suspect – no, I believe – that more people would be contracting the disease if we didn't have these measures in place. But they're not 100% effective and neither are the vaccines.

Quote:
...so you need to take your our health and safety into your own hands.

That's the best advice anyway.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 11:15 am
@hightor,
I have never denied the seriousness of the covid pandemic. I have never denied the large number of deaths, the economic costs or the emotional toll. How can I deny it, I am living through and no exactly what it is like from first hand experience.

Like most Americans I know a couple of people who have contracted the disease (including my girlfriend, a very close relationship). Like most Americans I dont know anyone personally who has died, but am aware that covid can be deadly. Like many Americans I took a 20% reduction in pay to avoid layoffs.

So I know what I am talking about.

1. Covid is serious
2. Covid is no where near as bad as living in a war zone.

Can we agree on these two points?
BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 01:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't see you ranting about glazed donuts?

LOL Hightor was nice enough to said it all so no need for me to reply over this posting of your

Thanks Hightor.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 02:00 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

1. Covid is serious
2. Covid is no where near as bad as living in a war zone.

COVID deaths, or serious illnesses from, are entirely preventable or mitigated. Why are you introducing a red herring into this conversation? You keep quoting about apples when we're talking about oranges. This is your tactic when you're losing ground.

War zones, heart diseases, etc have nothing to do with COVID, getting vaccinated or losing your job. Stay on topic. You're just being a silly Max.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 05:22 pm
@Mame,
You are confusing me with someone else. It was Bill who is comparing govid with war. I am the one who is saying this "red herring" is silly.

I do like it when Mame agrees with me, even though in this case it is by accident.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:24 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
People who arenot vaccinated are putting others at risk.

They can believe whatever they want, but when they put others in harm's way they can **** right off.

For once I agree with you completely, and I think you put it very well. Private employers should be able to decide the conditions of employment. On the other hand, I wouldn't advocate holding people down and forcing a needle in their arm, but employer mandates don't do that.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 06:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are confusing me with someone else. It was Bill who is comparing govid with war. I am the one who is saying this "red herring" is silly.

I do like it when Mame agrees with me, even though in this case it is by accident.

I was comparing death tolls from a one off event such as our civil war to covid to show that covid is not a minor source of death in any sense of the word minor.

Something that you seems to had been trying to sell IE that covid is so minor that the government is not justify in acting strongly against.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 07:05 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

People who arenot vaccinated are putting others at risk.

They can believe whatever they want, but when they put others in harm's way they can **** right off.

Hopefully they are using condoms, but sure they can.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:10:28