Is your personal beliefs or privacy worth losing your job over?

4thtwin

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 10:32 am
I work for a major company and like so many across this country have been working from home for the past year or so. For a few months now my job has been discussing the possibility of bringing everyone back into the office. They have mandated that everyone be vaccinated as to keep down the spread of the covid 19 virus. They have set a deadline of 11/1 to have your vaccination card uploaded or at least show proof that you have gotten at least one shot. In speaking to several co-workers several are saying it's illegal for the company to require a vaccine in order to remain employed. Yes, it is a condition of employment now. I saw on the news this morning that Kyrie Irving will not disclose his vaccination status and could possibly lose $16 million dollars because of it.

Personal beliefs aside, if your job said you have to get the vaccine in order to remain employed and return to work would you or would you lose your job? Granted, they are not going to let you work from home permanently. That's not an option.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 27 • Views: 7,268 • Replies: 283

maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 11:01 am
@4thtwin,
I had a similar situation when my employer required me to take a drug test to continue working. The company had just won a government contract and said it was necessary. It wasn't, since I wouldnt be working on that project.

I didn't use drugs. But it was the principle of of the thing. At first I decided not to take the test. Then when I thought it over, I really didn't feel like a job aearch and in that time the economy wasn't so great. I weighed the pros and cons and ended up peeing in a cup for some underpaid and somewhat awkward 20 something woman in a labcoat.

I believe in the vaccine, and I wish my employer would make it mandatory. My company has stated that they wouldn't.

But I think I can relate.
4thtwin

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 11:26 am
@maxdancona,
Great example. Years ago most companies, and some still do, require(d) you to take a drug test as a condition of employment. It was just standard practice. Now-a-days, with marijuana being so mainstream a lot of companies have gotten away from drug tests or they do not look for that particular drug. I'm sure they don't want a meth or crack addict working on the job high as a kite. And most if not all states require that kids be vaccinated to a certain point before they can start school. Yeah, there are some parents who still fight it but 99% of most parents do not hesitate to get their kids injected for school purposes. But they do not want to be vaccinated themselves for the sake of keeping their jobs so they can support their families. I am pro-vaccine and have had my vaccine for months. I had no problem uploading my card but in speaking with another co-worker she was telling me that some have decided not to comply. Good employees but letting their personal beliefs cause them to possibly lose a job. One girl told me that she doesn't know what the shot will do to her body down the road. I asked her, "how do you think getting covid or even dying will affect your body right now?" I've even spoken to a few who have had covid in the last month or so.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 11:43 am
I think the tough thing with this is - you already work there and now they are changing the rules... it personally feels "icky" to me to let my place of business know anything about my medical situation.

That being said - I did comply and uploaded my vaccine card. I don't like it - but I did in the end.

I guess you need to determine if your job is worth it. Kyrie is in a position where he can survive without his salary, the average person cannot.

If I could survive without my salary and the issue or my belief was strong enough - yeah I would stand by my personal belief.
BillRM

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 11:55 am
Love people here who are claiming that they have the right to placed their co-workers and possible customers at risk of a deadly disease [more people had already die in the US from covid then die in the civil war IE over 700,000] due to their right to work at their job without being vaccinated.
Mame

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:00 pm
@Linkat,
All they know about your 'medical situation' is that you're vaccinated against COVID. That, to me, is not very invasive information. It's not like they know your blood type or that you had a appendectomy in 1974.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:02 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Love people here who are claiming that they have the right to placed their co-workers and possible customers at risk of a deadly disease [more people had already die in the US from covid then die in the civil war IE over 700,000] due to their right to work at their job without being vaccinated.

I don't have an issue if these employees agree to wear a mask and socially distance from others and regularly test.

I know one young woman who got excepted from covid vaccine requirement at her college due to religious reasons - she agreed to the above.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:03 pm
@BillRM,
Bill, do you support mandatory drug tests. Illegal drugs also kill hundreds of thousands of people.

The right to free speech puts other people at risk. The right to keep police from searching your house without a warrant puts other people at risk. Can you name a right you have that does not put other people at risk?
4thtwin

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:10 pm
@Linkat,
Given that we work for a private company they have every right to change their rules for the safety of the other employees. This is a global health crisis and I do not want to bring covid home to my family simply because you choose not to be vaccinated and refuse to wear a mask. They're not asking for you to tell them when the last time you had a colonoscopy or the results from your last mammogram, they are saying that for the safety of the other employees we need to know you have been vaccinated. Yeah, K.I. may not actually miss $16 million but look at yourself. Could you stand to lose 100% of your salary? K.I. still has whatever endorsement deals so he's not hurting for money right now.
4thtwin

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:13 pm
@Mame,
Exactly, and even some businesses are asking you to show your vaccination card to enter their bar or restaurant. Why go through the hassle of getting vaccinated in now it's no one else's business if you have been vaccinated? That's ridiculous to me. Show the card and keep moving. No one is asking for a full medical workup. just a copy of your card.
4thtwin

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:22 pm
@Linkat,
I've heard that so many times, religious exemption. What religions are against vaccinations? And what proof do you have to show to be exempt from getting a vaccine?

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:25 pm
@4thtwin,
They may have a right - but it does not sit as well. Just because you are allowed to do something does not mean it will sit well with employees - there are a lot of things private companies do that do not sit well with others - CEOs getting paid significantly high salaries and bonuses (even when the company loses money) while their employees make minimum wage..you can name several. It seems icky to me to provide personal medical info to them and to "change the rules part way through" - I do understand why

Some companies are losing employees because of this - amazon is not going to require their employees to be vaccination for example...so yeah there are repercussions to doing something like this.

Mame

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:25 pm
@4thtwin,
I'm with you on this. Religious grounds? What religion has these restrictions? And unless you're actually allergic to something in the particular vaccine you're refusing, that doesn't wash either.
Mame

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:30 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

... and to "change the rules part way through"

This issue came up in my workplace when I was president of a clerical union. It revolved around dress codes. Some people in one department were wearing unprofessional and inappropriate attire, they were suspended, we grieved, and it was finally resolved to everyone's satisfaction with a Letter of Understanding. Basically, each department, should they wish, could institute a dress code but they had to give employees notice. And by dress code, it was things like you can't wear short shorts and revealing tube tops, etc., particularly if you were in the public eye. That went for both genders.
Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:36 pm
@4thtwin,
4thtwin wrote:

E Why go through the hassle of getting vaccinated in now it's no one else's business if you have been vaccinated?

Why - the obvious reason to protect yourself. I have other vaccinations that I have taken but not to show it to everyone in the world but to protect myself.

The thing is for restaurants, etc. - I am being realistic here - you really think bar and restaurant employees are in a position to monitor these vaccine cards? To know if they are legit or not? Have you seen them? All you would need to do is take a photo copy on card stock paper - I honestly think it is useless and not doing anything? Giving people a false sense of security.

I am doing it and complying - but I honestly think it is dumb.

I, personally, know people who have done this - for their place of employment - provided fake vaccination cards to keep their job. I would venture to guess many people do the same thing to get into clubs, etc. Why I protect myself with a vaccine and still am cognizant of being distance from others whenever I can.
Mame

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:46 pm
@Linkat,
Here, in my province, it's pretty stupid. We are mandated to show our card, ID and wear a mask to enter any building that's with the mandate program BUT the employees are not mandated. How stupid and backwards is that? Is my nurse vaccinated? Maybe, maybe not. My server? Same. The cashier behind the till? I don't know. But to enter that store (even though they also entered it to work), we have to show proof.
engineer

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:47 pm
I work in a factory. If someone gets hospitalized with Covid, that is $20,000+ in healthcare expenses which will eventually end up coming out of the company pocket in terms of healthcare premiums. All the people an infected person came into contact with need to be quarantined and the company provides payroll continuation for those people. Lack of people resulting in lack of output is a real problem right now, losing people to Covid and quarantine results in fewer goods being made and lower sales. Not to mention the company has a responsibility to provide a safe workplace for its workers. Easier to fire someone taking those kinds of risks than putting up with the costs. Plus mandates work, most people get the vaccine if there is a real cost to not doing so.

All that said, we do not have a mandate at work. Everyone regardless of vaccine status is required to be tested weekly, wear a mask at all times unless at your desk or socially distanced in the cafeteria while eating (one person per table). We had one guy, sole breadwinner for his family, wife and young child at home, refuse to get tested because he didn't want the company to have his DNA. The company walked him out the door without a second thought.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 12:51 pm
@4thtwin,
4thtwin wrote:

I've heard that so many times, religious exemption. What religions are against vaccinations? And what proof do you have to show to be exempt from getting a vaccine?

Depends on the institution - some do not provide any, some require very strict reasons and others some in between. As these are private institutions - they determine if they allow a religious exemption and what qualifies as such. All I know is this particular young lady had a letter from her pastor with details of how long she has been with their church, etc. and what their stance is on this. She was interviewed by some people at the school and they ok'd her not getting the vaccine as long as she followed wearing a mask, being socially distance and getting weekly covid tests - I would guess she had strong enough beliefs to do so as she could have gone across the town and attended another school without being vaccinated.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 01:15 pm
People who arenot vaccinated are putting others at risk.

They can believe whatever they want, but when they put others in harm's way they can **** right off.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2021 01:17 pm
@4thtwin,
Quote:
if your job said you have to get the vaccine in order to remain employed
and return to work would you or would you lose your job?
i cannot imagine a scenario where i would have waited until my employer forced me to get vaccinated...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is your personal beliefs or privacy worth losing your job over?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/26/2024 at 10:20:01