CalamityJane

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Why the hell didn't he bring the kid to the UN food camp
only a mile away? Well, he could choose his death,
the child had no choice.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:27 pm
100 meters, CJ. i suppose that's why he comitted suicide few months later.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:29 am
From the song "Kevin Carter" by the Manic Street Preachers (1996)...

Hi Time magazine hi Pulitzer Prize
Tribal scars in Technicolor
Bang bang club AK 47 hour

Kevin Carter

Hi Time magazine hi Pulitzer Prize
Vulture stalked white piped lie forever
Wasted your life in black and white

Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter

Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter

The elephant is so ugly he sleeps his head
Machetes his bed Kevin Carter kaffir lover forever
Click click click click click
Click himself under

Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:57 am
When I see photos like this, I feel guilty because I throw out so much food when I don't like it Sad
0 Replies

xprmntr2

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:37 pm
Heartwrenching! What can you say?

But also quite symbolic for the soul of modern man.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:04 pm
I once met a woman who told me about her time working as a clinical nurse in Africa. She said on her first day driving to the medical building, the car drove by a line of people for about 5 miles. It took her awhile to realize it was the waiting line for the clinic. When she got there she asked the doctor how he deals with the overwhelming flow of people. He said
"I never look out the window. I only look at the person standing in front of me. I just help one person at a time and by the end of the day I know I have done all I can."

I think the photographer was probably overwhelmed by the immensity of the problem and could not even see the people in terms of being individuals.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:37 pm
Immediately after their plane touched down in the village of Ayod, Carter began snapping photos of famine victims. Seeking relief from the sight of masses of people starving to death, he wandered into the open bush. He heard a soft, high-pitched whimpering and saw a tiny girl trying to make her way to the feeding center. As he crouched to photograph her, a vulture landed in view. Careful not to disturb the bird, he positioned himself for the best possible image. He would later say he waited about 20 minutes, hoping the vulture would spread its wings. It did not, and after he took his photographs, he chased the bird away and watched as the little girl resumed her struggle. Afterward he sat under a tree, lit a cigarette, talked to God and cried. "He was depressed afterward," Silva recalls. "He kept saying he wanted to hug his daughter."

text from here
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:38 pm
"Obviously a lot of people asked him what had happened to the girl, or if he had tried to help her. He hadn't done anything, and didn't know anything about the girl's fate. The following are extracts from an article written by Scott MacLeod entitled "The Life and Death of Kevin Carter":

<<Seeking relief from the sight of masses of people starving to death, he wandered into the open bush. He heard a soft, high-pitched whimpering and saw a tiny girl trying to make her way to the feeding center. As he crouched to photograph her, a vulture landed in view. Careful not to disturb the bird, he positioned himself for the best possible image. He would later say he waited about 20 minutes, hoping the vulture would spread its wings. It did not, and after he took his photographs, he chased the bird away and watched as the little girl resumed her struggle. Afterward he sat under a tree, lit a cigarette, talked to God and cried. "He was depressed afterward," Silva recalls. "He kept saying he wanted to hug his daughter.">>
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:39 pm
Now I am scared, Gus. We seemed to have had the same thought.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 07:40 pm
oooohhh.... that's cold.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:10 am
It makes me sick - that man never should have been given
the Pulitzer Price, let alone any award.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:17 am
I doubt anyone condeming Kevin Carter for his actions grew up in Africa witnessing horrors worse than the one this photo represents.

Here's a more complete obituary retelling his life and his work: http://www.wpe.com/~musici/Time.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:23 am
Millions and millions of people have seen this photo and done less than chasing a bird away.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:41 am
Wow..... Um.... Wow
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:01 pm
he walked away from that child?

why .. am I shocked?
why ..was it ok for him to walk away?
what? he made his buck with national geographic?
Time to go cash the check?
f-kn bas**rd
0 Replies