Snoring

DrewDad

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:39 am
OK, I admit it. I snore. Loudly. Especially since I've gained a few pounds during my wife's pregnancy.

Anyone know of effective treatments?

I discussed this with my ENT about seven years ago, but the only option he had was surgery. I'm hoping for something a little less drastic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,122 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:56 am
Try Breathe Right Strips. They work for hubby when he is sick. (He only snores when he is sick.) I think it works for some people but not all. They run about $6 for 12 so you won't be out much if they don't work.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:07 am
Short term: Breath Right Strips.

Long term: Lose weight.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:41 am
I've tried breathe-right strips, but they haven't been effective.

And the long-term solution is already under weigh; I'm looking for something to help now.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
Tell your wife to smother you - cutting off the oxygen supply is an excellent way to stop you snoring.

Seriously tho', I am a terrible snorer also and I drive anyone sleeping close-by crazy! I have been told I am especially worse if I have been drinking or smoking. I sleep in various positions but never on my back so it is not an issue of getting me to sleep on my side to stop it. That doesn't have any effect. I have found that if I have two pillows under my head then I snore less.

My doctor told me the things I need to do are:
Lose weight
Stop smoking
Do jaw and throat exercises
My doctor also wants me to do a sleep-study since it appears I might have sleep-apnea (I stop breathing during sleep). Since this can lead to additional health problems I guess I'll have to eventually do that study so I can figure out if I need surgery.

If you have just started snoring, it may only be a weight issue, which you can resolve by losing weight. If you snort and gasp in your sleep, as if you are trying to catch your breath, it could be sleep apnea, which you should have checked out with a doctor.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:48 pm
Ooh ooh, lookee here, I found this (how apt):

Emu Oil
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:48 pm
breathe right strips work for nasal snoring.
Throat snoring is worse, louder and usually ends up waking the snorER up from throat pains.

Drink more water. A soft fluid throat wont create the jackhammer sound that a dehydrated one will.
Water isnt the only answer, but it is the cheapest and quickest thing you can try.

If you get woke up my the mrs, drink a half glass of water. If you wake up to go to the bathroom, drunk a half glass of water, before you go to sleep drink a glass of water spread out over an hour .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 12:50 pm
you mean, I can squeeze oil out of an emu ?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:20 pm
At least they're not selling snake oil.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:22 pm
I've done the sleep apnia test; no sleep apnia. Although getting hooked up to a bunch of wires and video taped while sleeping was so much fun.

I'll get some breathe right strips and try 'em again.

I'll try the water thing, too.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 01:51 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
you mean, I can squeeze oil out of an emu ?

drip, drip, drip
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
They make a throat spray which is suppose to moisten the throat. Try that too.
0 Replies