The Quote of the Century

panzade

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:39 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
No country has ever self destructed over guilt.

The inability of a society to feel guilt is much more ominous.There was a Wermacht batallion from Hamburg. Locals, postmen, truck drivers etc. They ended up helping the SS commit the most heinous crimes in Lithuania. How did this happen?

Although German society has been dealing with guilt for over 50 years, it has managed to move on and prosper.

I think the protests over Abu G are a healthy sign that we will not descend into that cess-pool inhabited by the "ends-justify-the-means" crowd.

By all means, we must , as a society, harden our resolve to vanquish a very real threat to our free society. But we can not lose sight of those characteristics that make us a free society.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:06 pm
panzade wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
No country has ever self destructed over guilt.

The inability of a society to feel guilt is much more ominous.There was a Wermacht batallion from Hamburg. Locals, postmen, truck drivers etc. They ended up helping the SS commit the most heinous crimes in Lithuania. How did this happen?

Although German society has been dealing with guilt for over 50 years, it has managed to move on and prosper.

I think the protests over Abu G are a healthy sign that we will not descend into that cess-pool inhabited by the "ends-justify-the-means" crowd.

By all means, we must , as a society, harden our resolve to vanquish a very real threat to our free society. But we can not lose sight of those characteristics that make us a free society.

Damn good post panzade and I will go so far as to say I agree with every point you've made.

I do however wish to discuss further my contention that there is a certain segment of our society who, through no fault of their own, have become philosophically idealistic, as opposed to political, and are thus vulnerable to the self flagellation craze that is perpetuated by liberal media organizations such as the NYTimes. They can't get enough of the distortion depicted by the photos of Abu Graib.

There is another segment, much more vindictive in nature, which uses the self flagellation obession to demonize and punish the current administration. This segment is much more dangerous and destructive because they are well financed and very well organized. They are also very well represented legally by the ACLU.

There is also a segment consisting of disillusioned intellectuals, who are convinced that there is no hope and are drowning in nihilism. Nihilism is a disease of the highly educated and is becoming alarming because of the vast increase in those obtaining advanced degrees with no interest in anything but their own selfish interests which they are able to pursue because they are mostly parasites allowed to exist by wealthy families or by doting working mothers.

Enough for now.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:33 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Well, I ask because there are aa lot of point you could be making and you might not be making all of them, just one or a few of them.

1. You are saying that all critics of the Government should shut up. No one cares about abuses.

2. You are saying that Americans don't have to feel guilty about displacing the Native Americans from their land and that Americans should stop worrying about how the Native Americans (or do they prefer to be called American Indians?) receive the worst education, are the most likely to turn to a crime as a result and are the least likely to climb the social ladder.

3. You are saying that Americans mustn't feel guilty about crimes committed by its own citizens and/or Government outside of its soil, because Americans are Americans and people should move on and forget about the crimes.

4. You are saying that Americans shouldn't feel guilty about the crimes committed by Americans by its own citizens and/or Government. They shouldn't dwell in the past, but should learn from it, make sure it never happens and move on.

Wasn't the quote about a civilization that feels guilty for "everything it is and does?" So you pick some specific clearly objectionable thing and suggest that he's justifying it? That's a strawman argument. I don't recall seeing a statement by him that it isn't appropriate to feel guilty about anything.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:01 pm
I believe the American Indians lost the war between them and the invading Europeans. Just like so many other civilizations past.

It is senseless to feel guilt over the history of our nation because it's the history that makes us who we are.
0 Replies