Do you participate in crowdsourcing science projects?

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2021 04:53 pm
Crowdsourcing projects run the gambit in covering all kinds of science:

Outbreak Near Me, which is an offshoot of Flu Near Me, a community watchdog group keeping an eye on ... well... outbreaks via weekly texting and emails. They also helped monitor COVID cases as well.

Which video touches upon an astrophysics crowdsourcing project where you compare two separate images (one taken 50 years ago with a contemporary image of the same error) and you must figure if the center object (likely a star or nova remnant) is still there, moved, or completely disappeared.

And I've touched on BOINC crowdsourcing through using spare computing time on your home and work computers.

Bird counts are once-a-year events held around the world like the Central Park Audobon Christmas Bird Count.

Many cities follow that project design to gather a homeless count/population prewinter season.

So? Have you volunteered for a community or wider-scale crowdsourcing project for the sake of science? What kind was it? How labor intensive was it? Was it a gamified project?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,150 • Replies: 1
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2021 05:52 pm
@tsarstepan,
I was working in mid Calif well before it was called crowdsourcing. we aked peopl to send us any pix they had from past and fresh earthquakes in the fault Valley an we had th Sacto BEE an the San Francisco Chronicle to ask for these for us as part of a routineseries of articles. They complied and we had many many pix from quakes and times nd dates. My kids had almost 100 fotos and convenience stor shelf videos whre, th pix clearly showed which direction the motion came from since all the cans and boxeswere displaced in a preferred orientation. e had several students at Palo Alto analyze directions after visiting the same stores and measuring the directions of the shelves and where the cans and boxes went. it wasgreat success and severl students did honors work and 1 pHD student used stats to draw motion survey naps and energy analyses. All I did was get a coupl students interested in some creative techniques and data and gizmology.ther than standard gophysics and they ran with it. One stuent got a job with th Survey as a research Geophysicist ho pent her arly career coming up with "crodwsourcing ideas" in a day that 20 meg desktop computers looked more like adding machines with green screens and no color
0 Replies