Tornado Warning

Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 04:10 pm
@glitterbag,
Haha.

In the Rockies and southwest region they have seasonal dry winds (easterly) called Chinook. I believe it’s a Native American name; furthermore, it’s the name of a tribe. They’re also a salmon, a cross-breed of a cherry, too.

As was mentioned, they named the helicopter after it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 06:02 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I hate to sound stupid, but isn't a Chinook a helicopter?

I almost posted a blurb about Chinooks but didn't want you to insult you Smile lol Plus, this thread isn't about Chinooks, anyway... but a little more info doesn't hurt:

Chinook winds /ʃɪˈnʊk/, or simply Chinooks, are föhn winds[1] in the interior West of North America, where the Canadian Prairies and Great Plains meet various mountain ranges, although the original usage is in reference to wet, warm coastal winds in the Pacific Northwest.[2]

The Blackfoot people term this wind "Snow Eater";[3] however, the more commonly used term "Chinook" originates from the language spoken by the eponymous people in the region where the usage was first derived (the Chinook people lived near the ocean, along the lower Columbia River).[4]

The reference to a wind or weather system, simply "a Chinook", originally meant [by whom?] a warming wind from the ocean into the interior regions of the Pacific Northwest of the US.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 07:05 pm
@Mame,
Life gets so complicated, I was wondering if Chinook was also a weather system, or was it the sound they make when they fly over head. I live near the Annapolis Naval Academy and also close to Ft. Meade. I've heard the Chinooks go past my house in the early morning dark hours and they make quite a racket. Once it made the house vibrate, and when I went outside to see what was making the noise .......I figured it was a helicopter but thought it must be flying very close. I was shocked how large they are and they are loud they when they are close. Maybe loud isn't the right word, they make the air throb and it make my ears ache. I love convertibles but don't enjoy the wind whipping around my head. Its not because it destroys my hair, but because it is like temporary tinnitus for me.

Well, you live and learn........
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 11:21 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Anne Arundel County is under a tornado warning, moving fast and heading toward Annapolis/Parole. Everyone in it's path is urged to take shelter now, stay away from windows.

I just saw pictures of your county on Weather Underground. It looks terrible. I hope you miss the worst of it.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 01:16 am
@roger,
We are fine, the tornado passed about 3 miles away, it's caused a lot of damage close by....but not right here......................It has closed some roads and will hamper travel, but what the hell......we've been stuck in the house for over a year, what's a few more days?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 02:40 am
@glitterbag,
That’s a relief, have a huge sigh on me.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 06:37 am
@glitterbag,
Glad you made it through it unscathed. Up here in mid-Hudson valley we had a full day and evening and got 3-4 inches of rain and little in the way of winds.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 06:47 am
@Ragman,

NYC and NJ got hammered with flooding...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 06:48 am
@Ragman,
qe wre bitchin cause we coulnt get our TIVO and there qere SIXTEEN separate tornados within 15 miles of us in Chester and Lancatser counties. It raine like a aumbitch and the win blew my Rain gage off the pasture fence w had one Rubbermaid heelbarrow fulla water.
btanches all over the place, lotsa farwood.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 06:56 am
So I wake up this morning and look at my phone at 11:24 there is an emergency weather alert warning saying TORNADO WARNING in this area until 12:15 AM take shelter now in a basement or interior room on the lowest floor. Slept through this all in an upstairs exterior room.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 08:02 am
I think the people in the north and northeast are beginning to learn firsthand why we in the west and southwest don't do basements. I've been reading horror stories of people barely having time to grab their papers before escaping flooding basement apartments.
Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 08:12 am
@edgarblythe,
I thought it was (at least in Texas) because of the ground there makes it much harder to build - at least according to a real estate agent we talked to when looking to buy a home there (many moons ago).

And basements in the northeast aren't built for shelter purposes - typically used for storage or sometimes additional living space (living space depends on where you live as depending on the water table - like you said you don't want to build living space in a basement that has the potential to have flooding) - even with our sump pump and water system - we decided to pull all the "living space" out of our basement and just have it as storage - on occasion we had pump issues due to our hard water clogging the pumps - so had that all pulled out and are just using it for storage. Everything is on shelves - above any potential water issues.

Do you have split entry homes? These homes in a sense have no true basement as you do go downstairs for part of the living space so part of the actual home is below the ground level. We have them here in the North east.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 08:25 am
@Linkat,
I helped build one house in Houston which had what I call a sunken garage. I often wonder how it has fared in the years since. I worked in so many locations I no longer recall where it is.

Earlier in my career I helped unload a moving van in Dallas. As we worked, the new residents arrived. They ran in circles until I figured out they were searching for a basement.

If there are split level houses they are not common.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2021 10:00 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Anne Arundel County is under a tornado warning, moving fast and heading toward Annapolis/Parole. Everyone in it's path is urged to take shelter now, stay away from windows.

Umm...? Just curious. How many a2kers do you think live in Anne Arundel County? I can't imagine there are more than 2 (best case scenario).
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2021 12:27 am
@tsarstepan,
No one else on A2K lives in my County, but some folks I've gotten to know have lived near here or worked here in the past. Sorry if you were inconvenienced.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2021 06:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
Though there’s just Glitter, there maybe members who have family, friends or property/professional connections to there. I have friends that live there and her ment prompted me to call them. I don’t see a problem for mentioning it.
Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2021 08:08 pm
@Ragman,
True and the way tornados work they are do isolated that any mention of them makes sense and to me hearing of of any incident of someone here is of any importance. Odd that someone would think just that one or two people are impacted makes it of any less to be of concern.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 02:40 am
@Linkat,
Wow, the day after you posted I wound up in the hospital with 2 aneurysms. I was stuck there for 9 days and had to stay in intensive care for almost the whole time. There were a ton of COVID patients, a very young man was in the glass cubicle next to me.....very very ill. No one likes to be in the hospital, but I was very lucky to survive this last event. The hospital was sooooo quiet, you never heard tv sounds or people speaking. For a hospital visit that didn't involve surgery, I received massive treatments. The amounts of fluid and the the blood supplements I received seemed to happen every day, but I'm sure it didn't really.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 02:43 am
@glitterbag,
Hope all is well now, what with the storm and everything.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 04:27 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm almost 100%, doing much better. I was home during the tornado and it struck about a mile and a half from us. I didn't get a chance to see the after effects because the next day I arrived at the hospital. Yesterday we were hit with the weak end of the snow storm that's been dumping all over the East Coast. We only got about 3 inches (thankfully) and mr. G'bag cleared the driveway and sidewalk (snow blower)........it's really very pretty but I'll be avoiding the slippery stuff for awhile.