TV Commercials that Stink

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:13 pm
Yes, I watch TV. This thread is for other TV watchers as well to unload on the ads they most hate. Right now there are three in my crosshairs.
1. The stupid gecko. - not cute or funny and does innumerable long commercials.
2. Tom Selleck's reverse mortgage ad - makes me sad to see him taking money for it.
3. Joe Namath - ad for some Social Security ad-on. Call now. It's free. (The phone call is all that's free)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 3,481 • Replies: 44

Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wonder why Selleck lends his name to the reverse mortgage ads. Shame on him. Taking people’s hard earned home equity nest eggs.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:24 pm
@Ragman,
I love Selleck in movies like Quigley Down Under, but his credibility as a person takes a huge hit here.
Ragman

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:29 pm
Marvelous Maxine and I agree that ads are far more annoying than ever. Many generic products or services, make no sense as to what the connection is. Even after you know what they are trying to all you, you have no idea why they approaching it in that particular way. Nons nose and not even funny or entertaining. There are far too many to name just one or two.
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,

Jimmie J.J. "Dyn-o-Mite" Walker for Medicare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eAWX9qUEM

ooh-fa...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:31 pm
@Ragman,
True. I have watched some ads more than once and then said, "I wonder what they are selling?"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yeah, they just started that one a week or three ago. Just as annoying as the Joe Namath.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 12:50 pm
We have a renowned and retired male Cdn figure skater who does the CHIP reverse mortgage ads. They play it repeatedly and I now hate the guy's guts. Plus, it's dishonorable.

Why don't they understand that bombarding people with the same damn commercial is only going to make us hate them and NOT buy whatever they're shilling.

Another one which is like that is Dr. Ho and his medical stuff.

As someone just said, there are too many to name them all. I just use my mute button.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
The long hair Fabian type that models men's underwear. He poses in the stupidest ways to show "the pouch."

Geez, close your legs already...
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:44 pm
@neptuneblue,
I think I've seen that one.

In general I've learned to tune out the ads. It's just that some of them are unavoidable if you watch on a regular basis.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2021 01:50 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Jimmie J.J. "Dyn-o-Mite" Walker for Medicare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eAWX9qUEM

ooh-fa...

yeah that is a new one - just saw it the other day - and was thinking damn he has stooped low - guess he needs some money to be marketing medicare or whatever the h*ll it is. As I watched his memorabilia in the background I thought - why don't you sell that crap if you need money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 08:40 am
For a number of years my #1 hate was Flo, the Progressive shill. But it evolved to where some of the ads she and some newer guy do are funny for a viewing or two.
Linkat

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 08:43 am
@edgarblythe,
I like Jamie and the sarcastic girl
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 09:01 am
Tom Selleck should be flogged for that reverse mortgage commercial...especially for the one where he declares his "I would never do this commercial if I were not sure I am shilling the right thing" crap.

The commercial that has a bunch of kids running on a deck toward a lake...with a huge nail sticking up out of the boards...must have been devised by someone living under Hannibal Lecter conditions. I have to turn the channel as soon as possible when it comes on.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 09:15 am
Go Bloody Compare.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 09:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree about Selleck. Haven't seen the other one yet. I don't watch gratuitous pain and suffering, though.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 12:56 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

The long hair Fabian type that models men's underwear. He poses in the stupidest ways to show "the pouch."

Geez, close your legs already...

I know!!!! It's super annoying.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:01 pm
@glitterbag,
Every single commercial there ever was or ever will be for prescription medication. And what the hell is the deal with the duel bathtubs for the boner pill ads? I shouldn't leave out all the ads for non-prescription over the counter supplements that will save you from every malady ever dreamed up by man.

I think I need to give this a little more thought.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I love Selleck in movies like Quigley Down Under, but his credibility as a person takes a huge hit here.

I kinda wrote him off when I realized what his politics are. Never liked him much as an actor anyway, so it was no great loss.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:32 pm
@snood,
Magnum didn’t really catch on over here, not because of Selleck so much as the annoying butler pretending to be English.