the WHITE people's party?! Say what????

goodfielder

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:36 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Not sure about the 'free speech' part.

He's just offering his 'opinions' on a subject that isn't quite within his field of expertise (it's Public Law) and he's not doing it in an academic way either - it is the local paper, not a vetted journal article.

I'm not sure he can identify himself as an Associate Professor of the University (and he did) and still expect them to sit on their hands. It's all very odd, I think that maybe some 'ethnic' cut him off at a roundabout or something.....

Points taken. But what to do about the academics who - outside their area of expertise - write outraged letters to the newspaper and include their full academic title, department name, university name?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:02 am
If your name is Brendan Nelson, defend him!

Quote:
Dr Nelson said he personally opposed the professor's views, but he should be allowed to express them without risking his job.

"I think that they should allow his classes to continue," he told ABC radio.

"Those who so strongly argue for free speech and academic freedom and rigour ... should strongly disagree with what he said, if that's their view ... it's certainly mine.

"But (they should) nonetheless respect the fact that he, as an academic, has a right to express it."

source

A rather quaint concept considering just how the Howard Govt has cheerfully 'bashed' academics and community figures who have expressed their 'free speech rights' on Aboriginal living conditions, support for the War in Iraq and locking up refugees....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:22 am
Yep - and the university are saying - how much it is woth I cannot say - that they are happy for him to say what he wants - as long as he does not claim to speak for the university...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:23 am
Cliche time!

"Breathtaking hypocrisy!"

Had to say it. Totally unoriginal. On edit - reference our beloved fed govt.

The govt is consistent though. I see Ruddock is STILL wearing his Amnesty International pin. Tut-tut.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 03:27 am
dlowan wrote:
Yep - and the university are saying - how much it is woth I cannot say - that they are happy for him to say what he wants - as long as he does not claim to speak for the university...

They won't let him use the lecture theatre so he has been teaching out on the lawns. Bit of a change for his students I suppose.

It's all a bit messy. The uni has handled this very badly.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 04:38 am
Shouldn't members of the White Party actually be white? As in the Color of a Dutch Boy Semi-Gloss Bright White ($17.99 per gallon) though there may be some objection to the word Boy?

Shouldn't they have to stand next to a white-washed wall and blend in somewhat before given a membership?

If they stand in the sun for more than fifteen minutes and turn pinkish red, do they lose their right to entry?

So difficult to actually find a white person.

Oh, did find a frozen carp one time, it was really white.

Not much for conversation though.

J
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 02:59 am
"The man specifically asked for n****s.
It's something we don't like to talk about,
but my grandmother was Dutch"
http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes5/BlazeSaddle141.jpeg
0 Replies