The Pill/Cancer

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 09:59 pm
Hi...I just recently started having sex..and im not on the pill because my mom has breast cancer..and her breast cancer is estrogen receptive... which apparently means that going on the pill could increase my chances of getting it. I feel VERY insecure about having sex without the pill even though we use condoms...I just dont feel safe... maybe im worrying too much and condoms are ok? But I would like to know if I really can go on the pill and it wont really be a big deal. Anything anyone can help with is awesome! thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 742 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:19 am
I gather that your mother is under 40?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:55 am
Hmmmm, there have been stuides on this and it shows no conclusive evidence of a link between BC and breast cancer in people without strong family history. Since your mom is a breast cancer survivor, I would suggest you talk to your doctor about finding another method.
0 Replies

KissyFace22

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:46 am
My mom is 45....i am 16. and i really dont want to get pregnant.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:36 pm
KissyFace--

You really don't want to get breast cancer in your twenties or thirties, either. Breast cancer manifesting in the 20's or 30's can be difficult to treat and is often fatal.

If you can't talk to your family doctor, drop into Planned Parenthood (they're listed in the telephone book) about alternatives to the pill--and about getting a prescription for the morning after pill.

Maybe you can't be as spontaneous about sex as the rest of your peer group, but you won't increase your chances of death at an early age from breast cancer, either.
0 Replies