Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 07:22 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you very much.

It just came to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 07:26 am
@izzythepush,
Smile Very Happy
Seriously, they just announced the end of our fighting in Iraq, after announcing in August the end of it in Afghanistan. But did you notice they are leaving some troops in both countries after that?
hightor

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 07:30 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Does this mean that the coward is going to abandon South Korea as well?

You mean like Trump wanted to do?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 07:37 am
@edgarblythe,
They’ve still got them here, and the Nazis were defeated in 1945.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 07:44 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah, but aren't attacking Germans with drones. That I know about.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 08:13 am
@edgarblythe,
There’s just been an explosion in Leverkusen.

Seriously though, it was the bombing of Tripoli from a UK airbase by Reagan with no parliamentary oversight that did it for me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 08:35 am
My personal military experience, followed closely by the Vietnam debacle, made me almost totally anti-war. I can understand defense of home and family, but not the adventurism of the military-industrial crowd.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 09:04 am
@edgarblythe,
Eisenhower pointed out the perils of the Industrial Military Complex, and things have hardly changed in the meantime.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 09:21 am
@izzythepush,
Yes. I didn't appreciate Eisenhower that much when he was in office, but in retrospect, he was better than most of our presidents.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 09:21 am
@edgarblythe,
I wasn’t alive when he was in office.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 09:27 am
@izzythepush,
I don't recall Roosevelt, but my Mom always listened to Truman's speeches on the radio. She got a kick out of his mild use of swear words, which caused the networks to cut off the coverage.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 09:37 am
@edgarblythe,
The first American President I can remember is Richard Nixon.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 09:40 am
@izzythepush,
He's a hell of an introduction to American presidents.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 10:17 am
@edgarblythe,
I was less than a year old when Kennedy was assassinated and I don’t remember Johnson at all.
snood

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 10:42 am
@izzythepush,
I was five. We were living in Budigen, Germany because my dad was stationed at a little Army base there. My sister tells me that she remembers dad being real upset about hearing about the assassination on the radio. I don’t remember anything about that.

I do have vivid memories of when Bobby Kennedy was killed. I was eleven.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 10:43 am
@izzythepush,
By the time Kennedy died I was in the military, but that day on leave in Texas. It frightened the **** out of me to contemplate a President Johnson. I didn't like or trust him before he was vice president. The day he was selected by Kennedy I felt a dark premonition.
snood

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 10:45 am
@edgarblythe,
My mother always believed and said that Johnson was in cahoots with JFK’s killers.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 10:50 am
@snood,
She was probably right. I've read a story by a man who thinks George Bush was there when it happened. Bush was CIA or something at the time. I don't say this stuff as ironclad fact because I don't spend my time researching it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 10:54 am
@snood,
Quote:
My mother always believed and said that Johnson was in cahoots with JFK’s killers.

That was the first thing that occurred to some people upon hearing the news. LBJ was a complex guy; some of his qualities were commendable, some despicable. But whatever his transgressions, I honestly believe that a murderous act of treason was not one of them. He had JFK killed so he could enact the most sweeping social legislation since FDR? I don't think so.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 10:54 am
@snood,
One thing that makes it stand out over here was that it happened just before the first episode of Doctor Who, which was broadcast live back then.

All the interviews with the original cast are about having to act just after hearing about the shooting.

It’s one of those unfortunate coincidences, you can’t talk about the history of Doctor Who without talking about the assassination of JFK.
0 Replies