"Constitutional Democracy"

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:20 pm
goodfielder wrote:
The Constitution ensures that in US politics there is no "winner takes all".

The neo-cons want it all, they are using the claim that they are in the majority (look at the rhetoric when they claim to hold both the White House and Congress and now want to control the US Supreme Court). In order to achieve total control of the entire political process they have to declare war on the Constitution because the Constitution - as it currently stands - doesn't allow that.

It isn't a war of bullets, it's a dirty war of propaganda, lies and half-truths.

IMO, you are off base on this line of reasoning. The Constitution attempts to make a winner take all scenario hard to accomplish but it doesn't in any way eliminate the possibility of either party having control of both sides of the Congress and the White House and, by using those positions, gaining philosophical control of the USSC.

And the right (which includes the neo-cons but also includes others) are using the same tactics and rhetoric that the left used in previous decades but I doubt you'd say that when they were running the show that they had declared war on the Constiutution.

None of that changes much over time other that the shift in which way the pendulum is swinging.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:43 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Could you please explain this war with the Constitution in more detail?

No I can't Baldimo. Two reasons. The first is that I am bereft of knowledge of the Constitution. The second is that I would be stepping into the trap that you are laying and I have no intention of doing so. I've been here long enough to see how the Right does this. Take the discussion off on a tangent and then rifle through the latest Talking Points to bog it all down in an orgy of parsing point by point in what amounts to a war of attrition.

So instead let me make my point.

The Constitution was developed to ensure that the majority could never tyrannise the minority. That in itself is pure genius in motivation.

That such a brilliant idea, a central tenet of liberal democracy, could be translated into an effective document is double genius.

My respect for the framers of the Constitution now knows no bounds.

It's why would-be tyrants in the US (unlike many other countries) have failed to take hold.

For a tyrant to take over it would mean an attack on the Constitution itself.

The Constitution ensures that in US politics there is no "winner takes all".

The neo-cons want it all, they are using the claim that they are in the majority (look at the rhetoric when they claim to hold both the White House and Congress and now want to control the US Supreme Court). In order to achieve total control of the entire political process they have to declare war on the Constitution because the Constitution - as it currently stands - doesn't allow that.

It isn't a war of bullets, it's a dirty war of propaganda, lies and half-truths.

I'm not trying to trap you on anything, I just asking you to explain a comment you made. This is a debate board you know.

On the subject at hand. I could careless what this guy misspoke, or if he even got it wrong. To nit-pick something so small is a joke. Surly those of you on the left can come up with something much better to complain about then a comment he made concerning what kind of govt we have.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
Quote:
The Constitution attempts to make a winner take all scenario hard to accomplish but it doesn't in any way eliminate the possibility of either party having control of both sides of the Congress and the White House and, by using those positions, gaining philosophical control of the USSC.

That assumes that the Constitution doesn't support the doctrine of the separation of powers. I think it does. Because I don't have a good knowledge of the Constitution I can't prove that so make of it what you will. But it seems to me just from what I've read that the Constitution itself intends that all three branches of government should be separate and not one in thrall to the others. I firmly believe that if that doctrine were breached and one political entity gained control of all branches of government that it would mean dictatorship. Benign or not, it would be undemocratic.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
Quote:
I'm not trying to trap you on anything, I just asking you to explain a comment you made. This is a debate board you know.

True enough.

Quote:
On the subject at hand. I could careless what this guy misspoke, or if he even got it wrong. To nit-pick something so small is a joke. Surly those of you on the left can come up with something much better to complain about then a comment he made concerning what kind of govt we have.

Who's that? Roberts? I happen to think he's absolutely correct when he refers to the US being a "constitutional democracy". I heard him on radio and I was pleased to hear him use that phrase.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:22 pm
goodfielder wrote:
That assumes that the Constitution doesn't support the doctrine of the separation of powers.

To you perhaps but I make no such assumption.

goodfielder wrote:
I think it does. Because I don't have a good knowledge of the Constitution I can't prove that so make of it what you will. But it seems to me just from what I've read that the Constitution itself intends that all three branches of government should be separate and not one in thrall to the others. I firmly believe that if that doctrine were breached and one political entity gained control of all branches of government that it would mean dictatorship. Benign or not, it would be undemocratic.

The design of the Constitution creates a system of checks and balances between the 3 arms of government. It is silent however, about any one party controlling all 3 at the same time. At the time it was written the idea that all 3 branches could be controlled by one tightly run party wasn't a major concern (the parties at the time weren't near as strong as they are today).

It simply isn't a matter of one branch controlling the other 2. The current situation is all 3 branches being under control of a Political party - not another branch.

That "doctrine" as you call it, has been breached several times throughout our history. Was LBJ a dictator in 1965? While there are plenty of people that didn't like LBJ I doubt you'd find many that would call his term a dictatorship.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:37 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:
The Constitution attempts to make a winner take all scenario hard to accomplish but it doesn't in any way eliminate the possibility of either party having control of both sides of the Congress and the White House and, by using those positions, gaining philosophical control of the USSC.

That assumes that the Constitution doesn't support the doctrine of the separation of powers. I think it does. Because I don't have a good knowledge of the Constitution I can't prove that so make of it what you will. But it seems to me just from what I've read that the Constitution itself intends that all three branches of government should be separate and not one in thrall to the others. I firmly believe that if that doctrine were breached and one political entity gained control of all branches of government that it would mean dictatorship. Benign or not, it would be undemocratic.

Your right and your wrong.

The branches of power are separate and one does not control the other. One party can control two branches of power but not the third. The President (Ex Branch) is the only person who can nominate a judge into a federal court. The Congress (Leg Branch) votes on and places the judge in power. Neither branch can tell another branch what to do they work on their own.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:43 pm
fishin'

Let's take the partisan politics out of the equation for a moment.

1. Should the President be subordinate to the Congress and/or the Supreme Court?
2. Should the Congress be subordinate to the President and/or the Supreme court?
3. Should the Supreme Court be subordinate to the Congress and/ or the President?

Now let's put the partisan politics back into it.

4. Should the Supreme Court be subjected to the direction of the President (who is a politician)?
5. Should the Supreme Court be subjected to the direction of the Congress (prima facie composed of politicians)?

Now my main point.

6. Should the President, the Congress and the Supreme Court all be subordinate to the Constitution?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:46 pm
Quote:
Your right and your wrong.

The branches of power are separate and one does not control the other. One party can control two branches of power but not the third. The President (Ex Branch) is the only person who can nominate a judge into a federal court. The Congress (Leg Branch) votes on and places the judge in power. Neither branch can tell another branch what to do they work on their own.

The famous checks and balances? A good illustration of the doctrine of the separation of powers at work. Fits in nicely with my above post to fishin' and goes a long way to completing the picture for me at least.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:49 pm
For 1 - 5: Of course not.
For 6: Of course

But none of those address the issue at hand.

The question is; can the President, the Congress and the Supreme Court all be of the same political party and still be subordinate to the Constitution? The answer is yes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:55 pm
It seems to me that both sides are making some good arguments on this issue. Before we jump the gun on the terminology used, it seems only fair to see how he performs on the SC bench. Even some democrats and Sandra Day OConnor are praising Bush's choice.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:04 pm
Quote:
The question is; can the President, the Congress and the Supreme Court all be of the same political party and still be subordinate to the Constitution? The answer is yes

Fair enough. I suppose I am having some difficulty with equating judicial offices with a political party (not that it doesn't happen here in a de facto rather than a de jure sense).
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:31 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:
The question is; can the President, the Congress and the Supreme Court all be of the same political party and still be subordinate to the Constitution? The answer is yes

Fair enough. I suppose I am having some difficulty with equating judicial offices with a political party (not that it doesn't happen here in a de facto rather than a de jure sense).

There is nothing to equate. They are separate and not combined. The courts are not part of any party. The only link to the federal courts is when the President nominates a new judge to the court.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:43 pm
Re: "Constitutional Democracy"
Debra_Law wrote:
Roberts is nominated to sit on the highest court in the land and he doesn't understand that ours is NOT a constitutional democracy but rather a constitutional republic?

'Tis but a trifle, a mere quibble.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:53 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Roberts is nominated to sit on the highest court in the land and he doesn't understand that ours is NOT a constitutional democracy but rather a constitutional republic?

But he does understand the difference. He understands that the US is a republic AND democracy. He might well be one of the few to understand it Razz
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 02:23 am
goodfielder wrote:
I'm with fishin'. I've been through this republic/democracy business on here before and I'm surprised that otherwise erudite people get it all wrong.

A "republic" is just a form of government. A republic can be democratic or a dictatorship. America is indeed a republic, it is also a democracy (indirect democracy). Given that the supreme authority of America is contained not within a monarch but the Constitution it's perfectly right to describe America as a "constitutional democracy".

My country has a nominal monarch (the Queen of England is also the Queen of Australia) and a bi-cameral Parliament. We are a democracy (indirect type). Ergo we a are a "parliamentary democracy" . When we no longer have a nominal monarch we will be a republic with a President but we will still be a democracy.

Our constitution was designed to limit the power of government and to restrain democratic majorities for the purpose of securing individual rights. Accordingly, we established a constitutional republic wherein delegated powers were separated among three branches of government as a means of checks and balances. In a democracy, the majority rules. However, in a republic, the majority does NOT rule. We are a nation of laws, not of men. Thus, the phrase "constitutional democracy" is an oxymoron at worst or a watered-down concept of our government at best.

Our founding fathers despised the concept of a democracy wherein individual rights could be erased upon the whim of the majority. "An ELECTIVE DESPOTISM was not the government we fought for."--James Madison. All the people who throw around the phrase "constitutional democracy" are mischaracterizing the true nature of our government and devaluing the very principles upon which this country was founded.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 02:57 am
The US is a representative democracy with a republican form of government.

Quote:
Modern liberal democracies are important examples of representative democracy. In the United States this term is often synonymous with "republic." Another form of representative democracy involves impartial selection of representatives through sortition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_democracy

Quote:
Republican democracy is a republic which is also a democracy. One meaning of the word republic is "object for the people," which embodies the notion of a democracy, making the term "republican democracy" redundant. An alternative definition of republic is any government that is not a monarchy, and by this definition there are abundant examples of states that are republics but that are not democracies, and of states that are democracies but not republics. It could also refer to the notion representative democracy, as one meaning of republic is a system of restricted democracy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_democracy

The Founding Fathers were wise to ensure that there could be no tyranny of the majority (I wonder if Mill borrowed the idea from them?)

Quote:
The definition of the word 'democracy' from the time of ancient Greece up to now has not been constant. In contemporary usage, the term 'democracy' refers to a government chosen by the people, whether it is direct or representative.

There is another definition of democracy, particularly in constitutional theory and in historical usages and especially when considering the works of the American "Founding Fathers." According to this usage, the word 'democracy' refers solely to direct democracy, whilst a representative democracy where representatives of the people govern in accordance with a constitution is referred to as a 'republic.' This older terminology retains some popularity in U.S. conservative and Libertarian debate.

The original framers of the U.S. Constitution were notably cognizant of what they perceived as a danger of majority rule in oppressing freedom of the individual. (See Tyranny of the majority below). For example, James Madison, in Federalist Paper No. 10 advocates a republic over a democracy precisely to protect the individual from the majority. However, at the same time, the framers carefully created democratic institutions and major open society reforms within the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They kept what they believed were the best elements of democracy, but mitigated by a balance of power and a layered federal structure.

Modern definitions of the term 'republic,' however, refer to any state with an elective head of state serving for a limited term, in contrast to most contemporary hereditary monarchies which are representative democracies and constitutional monarchies adhering to parliamentarism. (Older elective monarchies are also not considered to be republics.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy

My conclusion is that we're arguing semantics here. I am aware that the John Birch Society likes to cloud the issues of "republic" and "democracy" - why I have no idea but its founder began this debate.

I'm not going to spit the dummy here because I think we might agree on the purpose of the Constitution but for mine "the US is not a democracy but a republic" argument is a child of the extreme Right which you are welcome to adopt. I won't.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:00 am
fishin' wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
The same people who use the phrase "judicial activism" to criticize the court when it protects individual rights are the same people who throw around the phrase "constitutional democracy."

Really? lmao Do a google search on the term "Constitutional democracy" (include the quotes) and the references you'll find to the term outside of educational institutions and listings of publications is on buzzflash.com - hardly a bastion of right-wing thought.

Quote:
The same people who want to restrict and restrain the court from invalidating state laws are the ones who claim these issues must be left to the democratic processes of the people.

Those who desire to impose their religious and moral beliefs on others through the operation of state laws endorse the following:

"Judicial activism" is BAD; "constitutional democracy" is GOOD.

Maybe they can fool you with their buzz phrases, but they don't fool me.

Blah, blah, blah. You're frothing at the mouth again. I've yet to hear János Kis ever utter the words "Judicial activism". I'm glad to see that you admit that you embrace the concept of constitutional democracy though - since you are one of those very people that wish to "impose their religious and moral beliefs on others".

Why don't you stay on topic and search "judicial activism" and "constitutional democracy." You will get lots of hits and with minimal effort, you will see what I'm talking about.

In one example, the Alabama Attorney General is addressing the Senate Judiciary Committee with respect to his complaints about the Court's enforcement of the Voting Rights Act and Establishment Clause:

Judicial Activism: Assessing the Impact

Quote:
I appreciate your invitation for me to discuss what I believe is the most important issue in contemporary American self-government: the role of the judiciary. As you know, in constitutional and statutory interpretation, the differences of opinion between conservative interpretivists, such as Justices Scalia and Thomas, and liberal proponents of a so-called living constitution, such as retired Justice Brennan, are sharp and profound. My purpose today is to address common characteristics of judicial activism that, in my judgment, demonstrate its threat to constitutional democracy.

This is a common theme. Accordingly, I stand by my statement: The same people who use the phrase "judicial activism" to criticize the court when it protects individual rights are the same people who throw around the phrase "constitutional democracy."

I do not embrace the concept of "constitutional democracy." When did our country evolve from a constitutional republic into a constitutional democracy?

I understand that there are people who throw around the phrase without meaning any harm--but I truly feel they are devaluing the "republic for which we stand." There are others, however, who throw around the phrase for the very purpose of confusing a republic with a democracy and to rile up the people by claiming the naughty Court engaged in "judicial activism" and deprived them of the right to self-government.

After all, now that the Court decided Lawrence v. Texas, you can't throw those darn homos into jail anymore for engaging in adult consensual sex in the privacy of their own homes. What is to become of our "constitutional democracy" and the right to self-government if you can't impose your moral and religious beliefs on others through oppressive criminal laws. Damn activist judges.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:12 am
Debra_Law wrote:
Why don't you stay on topic and search "judicial activism" and "constitutional democracy." You will get lots of hits and with minimal effort, you will see what I'm talking about.

Agreed, I'll stay on topic if you do.

And since the topic had NOTHING to do with judicial activism but your claim that Roberts doesn't understand the basic construction of our government based on your misinterpretation of what the term Constitutional Democracy means, I'll have to assume that you'll be retracting the rest of your nonsense shortly.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 03:48 am
Why did our forefathers form government?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...."

Why did our forefathers draft the Constitution?

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

What is the essense of Liberty?

(paraphrased; CHRISTENSEN v. THE STATE, 266 Ga. 474 (1996)(J. Sears, dissenting)):

Implicit in our concept of ordered liberty is the absolute and immutable right of privacy, which is construed as one's right to be left alone, free from government intrusion, so long as one's conduct does not interfere with the rights of others. The power of the State to regulate and control the private, consensual, non-commercial conduct of its adult citizens is confined only to those instances where such conduct adversely affects the rights of others. It simply is not within the authority of government to invade the sanctity of the absolute rights of a citizen any further than the direct protection of society requires.

What some construe as immorality in private, that does not operate to the detriment of others, is beyond the reach of state action regardless of whether a majority believes such conduct to be foolish, perverse, or wrong. For a freedom that is permitted only so long as it is exercised in accordance with the will of a majority, even though such exercise does not interfere with the rights or others, is no freedom at all. Rather, it is a mark of despotism, and a step backward toward the majoritarian tyranny that our founders sought to escape.

OUR founders cherished liberty. Our founders did not form a "constitutional democracy" wherein individual liberty would not have substance and exist only in accordance with the will of a majority.

Here's an exchange of opinions with respect to Scalia's stance on the founders and liberty:

Quote:
Title: It's All Part of the Process

Peter Robinson: Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, no state shall, "deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." Now, Justice Scalia--there is this great advantage to the Scalia position that it can be followed by a layman. He says, look at the text and the text in specific legal tradition, that's the phrase specific tradition that he uses, of the eighteenth century make it clear that what they had in mind to be covered by due process, was only life, liberty, and property, and the broadening of that clause to include a grab bag of other rights, for example the right to privacy, is completely unwarranted. Quite reasonable, wouldn't you say Erwin?

Erwin Chemerinsky: I want to make a point. Notice how Scalia is using his methodology to interpret the Constitution to come to the conservative results he likes. He uses the methodology to say the death penalty is okay, and he believes the death penalty is okay. He uses the methodology to say abortion rights aren't in the Constitution because--everybody brings their own views to interpreting the Constitution. Now the Constitution says liberty, the question is, what are liberties protected by the Constitution? And the Supreme Court, at least since the time the Fourteenth Amendment was adopted, has recognized that liberties can be things that aren't mentioned elsewhere in the Constitution. Since early in the twentieth century the Supreme Court said, privacy is a fundamental aspect of the liberty that we all possess.

John Eastman: I think it's just false to suggest that Justice Scalia is predisposed to a certain conservative outcome and time after time, and particularly in the First Amendment context, but I'm thinking recently in the Fourth Amendment context when he upholds the ability--strikes down the ability of government to use infra red imaging as a search and seizure and he acknowledges that that attempt to search inside one's house just because you can use modern technology and not knock down the door, doesn't make it any more of a reasonable search and seizure. And that would be the non-conservative outcome, the non-law and order outcome. So I don't think he's predisposed in that direction, I think where he ends up most of the time fits the characterization of his predisposition because the rule of law that he is applying leads to those conclusions.

Erwin Chemerinsky: I couldn't disagree with more about this. I think it's amazing that Scalia finds in the Constitution that school prayer is okay, that aid to parochial school is okay, that abortion rights shouldn't be, that affirmative action isn't allowed, that the death penalty is okay. It's amazing how much the framers of the Constitution thought like the contemporary Republican platform. The reality is that every justice brings their views to interpreting the broad words of the Constitution. Conservative justices like Scalia will come to conservative conclusions far more often than not. There may be an exception. More liberal justices will come to liberal conclusions, but that's what the Constitution is about. If it had been written in more detail, it could never have survived for over two hundred years. It's an open-ended document that each generation has to give meaning to.

http://www.uncommonknowledge.org/700/718.html

The big question is what views will John G. Roberts bring to interpret the broad words of the Constitution? How will he interpret our liberty interests? Will he sacrifice our freedom and leave our liberty interests to the will of the majority through his vision of the proper role of the court in our "constitutional democracy?" Will his appointment to the Court cause a step backward toward the majoritarian tyranny that our founders sought to escape?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:31 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

To you, maybe. To your children, and your grandchildren, maybe not.
0 Replies