Is there anything that quickly removes Sharpie ink from skin

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:10 pm
Mo drew a big circle around his face with Sharpie.

It is waaaaay beautiful.

Soap and water just ain't getting it off.

Short of introducing him as Salvadore Dali, is there anything I can do to speed the repair progress of Sharpie face?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 15,681 • Replies: 24
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:12 pm
lmao I guess you aren't the first to have this problem! Very Happy

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf228232.tip.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:13 pm
Garage hand cleaner takes pretty much everything off, except skin.
It actually leaves your skin nice and soft.

But hey, maybe if you left him with the circle, he'd figure out it wasn't such a brilliant idea - without getting the attention of a scrub-down.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:13 pm
Have you tried alcohol?

Got any alcohol pads in your first aid kit?

Should work.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:15 pm
Sandpaper--use a coarse grain, say . . . an 80 . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:21 pm
Sandpaper sounds appropriate.

Really though, I'm lmao too. I need to get a photo before I get serious about removal.

That site lists a lot of options, fishin', along with these suggestions Mo should be well marinated by the time he's back to normal.

I do have a photo of the famous belly magic marker incident:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/belly.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:36 pm
I'm thinkin' that looks kinda fun...

But, I guess I have to act my age.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:03 pm
squinney.

You're my idol.

I just got some really nice photos of lil' Sharpie face.

My computer has been down for months - this is the first day that it has been fully functional in ..... forever? .... once I get my E drive hooked up I'll post a photo
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:13 pm
acetone, or just about anything in that family, like nail polish remover which is methyl ethyl ketone, you can get em at any paint store.
Just wipe a little on a napkin and rub a spot. Dont let her breathe the vapor , itll get the kid high as a kite.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:32 pm
Farmerman stole my thunder. Acetone is the only thing I know of that will remove layout dye, and I bet it works on Sharpie too.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Is it okay if I sniff the acetone rag?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:52 am
Here's his beautiful face painting experiment:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/facemark2copy.jpg

This one doesn't show it off as well but I thought it was a pretty photo so I'm including it anyway:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/carrot.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:14 am
They're both gorgeous.

Are those little carrots from your garden?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:17 am
Thanks soz.

Yes, those are from our garden. Mo got a bit carried away yesterday and decided on an early harvest. Not the greatest carrots but they helped make a pretty photo.

Today we will begin trying to get the Sharpie off if he'll hold still long enough for the ordeal.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
Don't worry about Sharpie Cling--every parent in the world will know exactly what happened and the other people aren't important.

The Sharpie line is firm and relatively straight given the difficulties of following the contours of a happy face. I won't go as far as to say superior artistic ability, but Mo has demonstrated skill with his chosen media.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:41 am
and looks like a painting print I have of Bacchus, probably by Caravaggio...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:43 am
Yes, I noticed that in the photo from the front -- seems to follow the outside contour rather precisely. Did he do it in front of a mirror?

Sozlet, continuing her current tattoo kick, gave me a quite elaborate leg tattoo (should've taken a pic) with what turned out to be unwashable ink -- still, it was gone after a few hours in the pool. (Legs may stay underwater more consistently than faces, but could work.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:09 pm
His chosen media!

Ha!

He did it while I was on the phone so I'm really unsure of the process involved.

He doesn't have much patience for line removal but has disguised it under a layer of dirt this morning, perhaps to avoid any other chemical treatments.

I was hoping to have it gone -- we have a date with Curly and Larry this weekend -- it would be nice if he were a bit more ummm..... less ummmm ..... vibrant? .... for the reunion.

osso, I think I know which painting you're talking about. There is a similar feel between them!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:15 pm
Hmmm, bleached in the pool, I bet. Sharpies have organic solvent and acetone is organic, isn't it? Having all sorts of organic solvent poisoning my own bod, after years of lab work, and using kerosene to clean etching ink off of plates, painting with turpentine, etc., I'm fairly neg on kids playing with markers with organic ("permanent") materials in them - not so much in these kind of one-instance times, but as a routine.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:17 pm
LOL! His chosen media!

Give him a big hug from me.

Tell him next time he feels artistic to let you know and you will whip up a couple different flavors of pudding for him to play in. No harm in finger painting with pudding on the shower walls while naked.
0 Replies