BRAVE NEW WORLD

rayban1

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:56 am
Setanta wrote:
If you're so damned bored, Rayban, why do you hang around?

Laughing Because fortunately, most of the other participants are quite interesting
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:22 am
Girls....girls....you're both pretty...now quit picking at each other.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:36 am
Then i suggest to you, Rayban, that you reserve your witless, invidious partisan slurs for the others, and reserve comment on what i write. Take Tommrr, for example, he seems to favor your style of irrelevancy--why don't you strike up a conversation with him/her/it?
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:55 am
Setanta wrote:
Then i suggest to you, Rayban, that you reserve your witless, invidious partisan slurs for the others, and reserve comment on what i write. Take Tommrr, for example, he seems to favor your style of irrelevancy--why don't you strike up a conversation with him/her/it?

I am absolutely shocked Shocked are you suggesting that you want me to stop ridiculing your nihilistic, destructive attacks on my country.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 01:42 pm
When you can demonstrate that such an attack has occurred, rather than simply indulging your puerile love of invidious partisan rhetoric, you might be taken seriously.

It is my country as well, and i am not so simple-minded as to equate justifiable criticism of venal politicians with a failure to love my homeland. Your method from start to finish is simply to excoriate others, and it is pathetically childish.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:28 pm
Setanta wrote:
[quote]Take Tommrr, for example, he seems to favor your style of irrelevancy--why don't you strike up a conversation with him/her/it? [/quote]
To start with, I am a he, not a her or an it. Second, I don't favor Rayban's style of irrelevancy. What I do favor is trying to inject a little humor into this little pissing contest that both of you like to get into on just about every thread you both participate in, highjacking it, while the rest of us watch, amused, until it peters out, and we can all return to the subject at hand.
Yes, bi partisan bickering has been with us since the beginning of our country. What has changed about it, IMO, is that it is no longer done in a gentleman's fashion. Sure, they slung some dirt at each other, but now it seems that all of time is spent between the 2 parties on such petty crap.
It now seems that the priority of any elected official is to toe the party line, and to find as much wrong with the other guys as possible.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 03:41 pm
Setanta: It seems as I read on some other threads that you may not be as guilty as I thought in the arguements with Rayban. Seems that may only be responding in kind, and not actually instigating the arguing. Without pointing any fingers, I am starting to notice a pattern. Carry on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:03 pm
My genuine apology for having let my ill-temper wash over you Tommrr. I ought not to have done, not simply for courtesy's sake, but because you have genuinely made a contribution to the idea under discussion in this thread.

As for carrying on . . . i usually do . . .
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:27 pm
tommrr wrote:
Great analogy, I can see myself using that one in the future. I would agree on your final point, but I would like to hope that we haven't become such a dumbed down society that we don't try to do something about before that point is reached. What worries me more, is that fact that there aren't more people standing up and saying, "Just what the hell is going on here?"

Thanks. I hope we don't have to reach that point, either, but I fear that the most people have so many little worries in their lives that it doesn't occur to them to question what's going on in a meaningful way. Of course, if more people were saying, "Just what the hell is going on here?", would we even know it? I fear that the powers that be have too strong a stranglehold on the media for us to get an accurate and reliable impression of how many people are dissenting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:38 pm
Mills75 wrote:
Of course, if more people were saying, "Just what the hell is going on here?", would we even know it? I fear that the powers that be have too strong a stranglehold on the media for us to get an accurate and reliable impression of how many people are dissenting.

This is a cogent point. In his book Kent State, Michener states that many of the students interviewed (he had literally hundreds of interviews conducted by his graduate assistants with students who returned home at the end of the term in which the Kent State massacre occurred) told the researchers that their parents had told them in so many words that if they had been at Kent State, then the Guard ought to have shot them. The nation was horribly polarized in 1970. But when more than a hundred thousand people marched in Washington, and they were housewives, doctors, lawyers, longshoremen, farmers--i.e., ordinary people--the rhetoric of right-wing warhawks grew hysterical. They were fighting a rearguard action from the point at which it became clear that opposition to the war was not solely the province of "long-haired freaks."

I think that governments pretty well do what they want until such point as it becomes evident that the tide of public opinion has set against a policy, at which point politicians--addicted to re-election--begin to bail, and it's every man for himself. I don't personally believe that it has gotten so bad that government can unilaterally control the media, but there certainly is a corporate cowardice in operation, in my never humble opinion, that mitigates against genuine investigative journalism when it comes to an administration (of which ever party) unless and until the cat is already out of the bag and it seems safe to risk the bottom line through opposition.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:41 pm
Well, folks. I do believe that my father-in-law was tersely correct. Things have to get really rotten before the American people will act. My father said basically the same thing, but it just took him a little longer to say it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 04:42 pm
Well, folks. I do believe that my father-in-law was tersely correct. Things have to get really rotten before the American people will act. My father said basically the same thing, but it just took him a little longer to say it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 05:18 pm
rayban1 wrote:
your nihilistic, destructive attacks on my country.

if it's your country, i insist you quit demanding money from me every april and get a real job. :wink:
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
I think that governments pretty well do what they want until such point as it becomes evident that the tide of public opinion has set against a policy, at which point politicians--addicted to re-election--begin to bail, and it's every man for himself. I don't personally believe that it has gotten so bad that government can unilaterally control the media, but there certainly is a corporate cowardice in operation, in my never humble opinion, that mitigates against genuine investigative journalism when it comes to an administration (of which ever party) unless and until the cat is already out of the bag and it seems safe to risk the bottom line through opposition.

No, the government doesn't have control over the media. But it is controlled, and by the same people who make the heftiest campaign contributions and have the most influence over politicians. I agree that, to a large degree, politicians are seeking re-election and will do whatever seems to garner them the most votes, but who sways the public's opinions about issues? You're right about it being a shell game, but there's a reason why the two parties seem more and more like twins conjoined at the brain--they're both catering to the same constituency, and it that constituency ain't us.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:26 pm
No, it surely is not to the vast electorate that the political pandering is ultimately directed . . .
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:32 pm
The two party has the money to run a better campaign than any third parties... I have rarely heard of the political and economical view of the third person running for president.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:00 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
rayban1 wrote:
your nihilistic, destructive attacks on my country.

if it's your country, i insist you quit demanding money from me every april and get a real job. :wink:

Naw

I've paid my dues and now I'm retired and enjoying it. It's even more fun ridiculing you disillusioned ninnies........my advise.....grow up and make adjustments.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:16 am
I advise that you try to learn how to use the word advice correctly.

People might take you slightly more seriously

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 09:47 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I advise that you try to learn how to use the word advice correctly.

People might take you slightly more seriously

Cycloptichorn

Laughing You've never made a "typo" before?
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 10:01 am
While the gov't does have some control over the media, I think the lack of investigative journalism is due more to the fact that dirt sales, so tabloid style reporting has replaced real news. It just goes hand in hand with the dumbing down of America.
0 Replies