G-8 Writes Off $55 billion Debt of 18 poor countries

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:44 pm
...but then does'nt the USA also 'make' a lot of money out of the war as well????
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:45 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
...but then does'nt the USA also 'make' a lot of money out of the war as well????

Last I checked this wasn't about the war, but a meeting of the G8. How does the war figure into this?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:47 pm
...true Baldimo, I was asking Intrepid
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:58 pm
KiwiChic wrote:

Probably. I was just pointing out to Baldimo that there are worse things than having compassion on poor countries and helping them with their debt.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 11:05 pm
Intrepid wrote:
KiwiChic wrote:

Probably. I was just pointing out to Baldimo that there are worse things than having compassion on poor countries and helping them with their debt.

How can I have compassion for a country that is at fault for its own issues? No one but Africa is responsible for the spread of AIDS in their borders. No one is responsible for the poor economic issues in Africa but the corrupt govts of Africa.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 11:11 pm
Ok, we won't discuss corrupt governments because I don't want to upset you.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:37 am
no we wont discuss corupt governments, aids etc lol...but I think its a worth while benefit to these poorer countries in the long run....
and like I said we can only just wait and see how it all pans out Very Happy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:47 am
I think that a better idea would be to give Africa $500 million of Halliburton shares, as I reckon they will do well over the next decade or so.
The USA would then save themselves a pretty penny, and Africa will end up with far more than the designated $1.3 billion in cash.

Everyone wins!

I will now email Dick Cheney with this idea.
0 Replies

onben

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 02:58 am
Even world bank is losing money, G-8 still keeps it because their corporations are getting money back Smile
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 06:19 pm
onben wrote:
Even world bank is losing money, G-8 still keeps it because their corporations are getting money back Smile

How can they be getting money back when no one is paying them? If we are forgiving debt then that means they haven't paid for what they owed.
0 Replies

onben

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:05 am
Baldimo wrote:
onben wrote:

How can they be getting money back when no one is paying them? If we are forgiving debt then that means they haven't paid for what they owed.

To think about those cheap labors - transnational corporations can move their funds throughout world markets to maximize returns and protect themselves from the damage which could be wrought by overexposure to one economy.

It's not just money at present; future value does matter.
0 Replies