G-8 Writes Off $55 billion Debt of 18 poor countries

tintin

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:53 pm
News clip"...G-8 Writes Off $55 billion Debt of 18 poor countries."

Does G-8 lends money to poor nation ? i knew only world bank is the authority who lends money to the poor nation.

i want to know a bit info aboutr that clippings. plz clarify.

thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,488 • Replies: 30
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:57 pm
They're forgiving debt, not loaning money.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 08:18 pm
Forgiving former debt. I have not read enough to comment how I think yet.

<adds another thing to 'to do' list>

TTF
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 08:43 pm
Why should the debt be forgiven? We are only going to give them more anyways.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 09:06 pm
sweet!..I thinks its good! Very Happy
0 Replies

tintin

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:29 pm
i have got some info.

here are.

on the basis of less corruption they are forgiving debts. in the coming days they have sorted out 9 more countires to forgive debts.

it is a good approach. but is this a selfless effort ? in exchange are they getting anything from those countries ? do u think in order to influence and get market in those countries they are playing like this ?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:48 pm
something for something isnt it?
I would like to think it wasnt, hey maybe in the long term it very well could be...
but I would like to see these poor countries get their economy's up and running, get their people fed and housed, job creations, education.....
someone has to start some where and I think good on them!
its only a start, so Im sure we will see where this goes.....

if it all turns to custard well more fool us then, at least someone tried.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:52 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
something for something isnt it?
I would like to think it wasnt, hey maybe in the long term it very well could be...
but I would like to see these poor countries get their economy's up and running, get their people fed and housed, job creations, education.....
someone has to start some where and I think good on them!
its only a start, so Im sure we will see where this goes.....

if it all turns to custard well more fool us then, at least someone tried.

I don't like seeing my nations going to something that isn't constitutional. If we are going to loan money out then we should get that money back. If they can't pay then they shouldn't accept the money.

If we did just forgive the debt then we had better of gotten something for our hard earned money. Nothing in this world is free!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
LOL your nations? constitutional? the world does not just consist of the USA bud....
the problem is they all have tried to pay back the loans and they just cant do it...because of the lack of resources.

So I guess you didnt take part in 'Live 8' then?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:08 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
LOL your nations? constitutional? the world does not just consist of the USA bud....
the problem is they all have tried to pay back the loans and they just cant do it...because of the lack of resources.

My nation as in the US. I know we make up the bulk of payments to other nations. Do you deny this?
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:17 pm
aaah so what? your President agreed to this so take
it up with him not me. Laughing
like you said your money, your nation.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:37 pm
Well it should make most of the lefties feel better to know I have now found another thing I disagree with the present admin over.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:44 pm
I gather you did not vote for him then?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:48 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
I gather you did not vote for him then?

Quite the opposite. Indeed I did vote for him.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 09:53 pm
LOL oh I see......
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:15 pm
Baldimo wrote:
KiwiChic wrote:

My nation as in the US. I know we make up the bulk of payments to other nations. Do you deny this?

The G8 countries pledged to provide additional funds to compensate the World Bank and African Development Bank in full for the assets written off. They also agreed to meet any shortfall that the IMF could not cover from its own internal resources.

Brown said Britain will pay $700 million to $960 million over the next 10 years to fund the compensation package, while the U.S. will pay $1.3 billion to $1.75 billion. Germany would pay $848 million to $1.2 billion to offset future lost repayments to the World Bank and the African Development Bank.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:28 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
KiwiChic wrote:

The G8 countries pledged to provide additional funds to compensate the World Bank and African Development Bank in full for the assets written off. They also agreed to meet any shortfall that the IMF could not cover from its own internal resources.

Brown said Britain will pay $700 million to $960 million over the next 10 years to fund the compensation package, while the U.S. will pay $1.3 billion to $1.75 billion. Germany would pay $848 million to $1.2 billion to offset future lost repayments to the World Bank and the African Development Bank.

As I stated, the US is going to pay the most and I don't like that idea.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:32 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
KiwiChic wrote:

Put this into perspective given the size of the U.S., Britain and Germany. You still think the U.S. is footing the most per capita?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:39 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
KiwiChic wrote:

Put this into perspective given the size of the U.S., Britain and Germany. You still think the U.S. is footing the most per capita?

To me it isn't about per capita. It is about how much money we are spending as a country that can be used here. We are spending the most period end of story. It is always the case with the US.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 10:40 pm
Think of how much money you would have without the Iraq fiasco
0 Replies