Imminent Return of Jesus

nycdad

Thu 20 May, 2021 06:23 pm
@maxdancona,
You understand whatever you want to understand. Where in the passage does it say that Jesus will bomb anyone or anything? Man destroys man. Look at history.

Look at verse 10 again:;

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

When Jesus returns in "power and great glory" it will be a day of sorrow for those who have rejected God and His Son. The presence of God's Son coming on the clouds of heaven is an earth-shaking event. Think about it. The King of kings and Lord of lords will make Himself known. The earth itself, death, animals, humans, mountains, etc will stand back as the King of all the ages breaks through the clouds announcing His powerful return.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 20 May, 2021 06:32 pm
@nycdad,
nycdad wrote:

2 Peter chapter 3 versus 3 to 13.

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.

11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Apostle Peter

What does this mean to you (especially the parts that talk about violent destruction)?

The odd part is that when this was written, this was a level of destruction that people couldn't imagine being done by anyone other than a vengeful God.

Now in 2021, there is nothing that God can do to us that we can't do to ourselves. I suppose that is progress.
0 Replies

Lady Lingiton

Thu 20 May, 2021 08:33 pm
Able2Know.org is a non-prophet entity.

One day of junior-high co-ordinate geometry is like a thousand years.

Just sayings.
nycdad

Thu 20 May, 2021 09:12 pm
@Lady Lingiton,
Meaning?
0 Replies

TruthMatters

Sun 23 May, 2021 10:59 am
@coluber2001,
Then you believe it's the Last Days?
izzythepush

Sun 23 May, 2021 02:25 pm
@TruthMatters,
No, you don’t understand irony, it’s a common condition amongst religious fanatics.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Sun 23 May, 2021 07:04 pm
Maybe Covid-19 is the rapture. It is taking the people who are right with God to be with Him. This is why Christians should not get the vaccine.
nycdad

Tue 25 May, 2021 10:03 pm
@maxdancona,
Not funny at all. The rapture is a real event that will occur and maybe in our lifetime.
Frank Apisa

Wed 26 May, 2021 03:10 am
@nycdad,
nycdad wrote:

Not funny at all. The rapture is a real event that will occur and maybe in our lifetime.

You know that for a fact...or you are just guessing that to be so?
izzythepush

Wed 26 May, 2021 03:25 am
@Frank Apisa,
Facts be damned, you’re not going to fly a plane into a skyscraper with that attitude.
Frank Apisa

Wed 26 May, 2021 03:34 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Facts be damned, you’re not going to fly a plane into a skyscraper with that attitude.

True, that. I ain't gonna fly no planes into no skyscrapers no matter what.

(Wow...that is a classic American destruction of English if ever I've written one.)

I do wonder how he is going to answer the question, though.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 26 May, 2021 08:44 am
@nycdad,
nycdad wrote:

I never believed that the rapture made any sense from a biblical standpoint. The doctrine of the rapture is a purely American invention. It was concocted by American preachers in the early 1900s.

0 Replies

TruthMatters

Wed 26 May, 2021 09:00 am
@coluber2001,
He didn't say it would be soon.
In his prophecies he indicated a GREAT deal of time would go by.
And, mankind has reached the end of his rope!
He's even hoping to go to MARS!
hightor

Wed 26 May, 2021 10:41 am

The Rapture

A Popular but False Doctrine

maxdancona

Wed 26 May, 2021 11:09 am
@TruthMatters,
I think mankind is doing pretty darn well thank you very much.

Sure we have a couple of problems, namely a climate crisis and the relatively recent development of nuclear weapons.

However we live in a time where we can cure diseases and grow enough food to feed the planet. There has never been a time where humans have lived longer and better. Fewer people are dying of war or famine than at any time in the history of humanity.

People always want to complain, and throughout history this has been the case. I guess it's part of human nature. But of all the centuries of History this is by far the best one to live in by any metric that I could imagine.
edgarblythe

Wed 26 May, 2021 11:16 am
@hightor,
Good one.
0 Replies

TruthMatters

Wed 26 May, 2021 06:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Life in La-la Land...
maxdancona

Wed 26 May, 2021 06:58 pm
@TruthMatters,
TruthMatters wrote:

Life in La-la Land...

Can you name something in your life that would have been better 200, 500 or 1000 years ago?

200 years ago everyone lost children to disease, most people could not get enough to eat, people worked for pennies on land owned by a few wealthy asshokes and of you got an infection, you died.

If you are going to whine about living in the 21st century... Then tell me when you would rather live?
nycdad

Wed 26 May, 2021 08:31 pm
@maxdancona,
In the book of Daniel we read that in the last days "knowledge shall increase." Modern technologies is a sign that we are nearing the end of life as we know it.
maxdancona

Thu 27 May, 2021 07:06 am
@nycdad,
Our technology is still pretty primitive.