farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 05:08 pm
we bought a crock pot up at Atlantic Tires in St STevens today. They sell products that have nothing to do with tires. Since cj made that eloquent argument about a "pulled pork" in a crock pot sammich. Im gonna have to do it cuz we love that stuff. And these people in Maine have no idea about anything except beans and lobster.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 05:17 pm
B-B-Q blasphemer!

<snork>

I think we should all try cjhsa's recipe and put him to the test!

All I have right now is pork loin though - would that work?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 06:24 pm
d'oh
I better go find a pig
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 06:31 pm
I'd rather have the slow smoked version of pulled pork, too, but when you haven't got the time to watch the fire or if it's too cold outside, the crockpot version has its place.

I use a 3-4 pound pork loin roast, cut into large cubes, throw in a chopped onion and a bottle of our favourite BBQ sauce, with a few additions, such as garlic cloves, liquid smoke, Worchester Sauce, whatever. I prefer to cook it overnight and "pull" it in the morning, giving the flavours time to blend until dinnertime.

Pile the meat on kaiser rolls. Mr. M likes his vinegar based coleslaw on top of the meat, the kids like it on the side.

I used to make my own sauce, but it wasn't worth the effort.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 07:34 pm
Cook a roast in the crockpot and use it for french dip sandwiches.

Use a 3-pound braising cut, like a cross-rib, chuck or rump roast. Season the roast with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Add a couple of cups of beef broth.

When cooked, slice the roast thinly across the grain. Serve on crusty French rolls or a French baguette.

You can use the liquid for dipping the sandwich. I usually want more than remains in the pot, so I prepare a packaged au jus mix and add the liquid to that.

Oh, and my daughter claims that the whole sandwich is greatly improved by the addition of melted swiss cheese.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:13 pm
I think I've started something.

The Great A2K Crockpot Barbecue Bash!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 12:14 pm
Even I am thinking about getting one... (there are miracles!)
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:48 pm
yum, I'll have to remember that one as well. I'm also going to try lamb, haven't done that yet!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 02:51 pm
If you do lamb this way make sure you get the stewing cuts - no reason to slow cook most lamb parts because by nature they are young and tender.

Or you could ask for the "sheep meat". Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:22 pm
now thats where it ends CJ. As a provider of lamb,I must chastise you, lamb meat must never touch liquid in its prep. Only spoon leg should have any broth and that is just a cup or 2.

Well, we bought the crock pot, then had to drive 45 miles back to Calais to find a meat department in a market and there we bought a nice rolled shoulder all bagged up with the cotton string net bag, very cute cut.
We made a braise of liquid smoke, bbq sauce , and cider vinegar. We let that sucker cook all day Sunday and took a boat over to Lubec to see if the Killer whales were around the "head". We let the crock pot cook and sit under the canopy of the RV and it was wonderful. I must say that, after sweating all day on a bbq grille and smoker, this was really easy. It tasted good too. Wife likes the cole slaw, I like mine with sliced onion , verrry thin slices, a little more bbq sauce, some au jooose on the kaiser roll and sweet ice tea and Humpty Dumpty killer Dill Pickle chips.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:25 pm
All right...

I'm getting closer to looking at Crock Pots.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:31 pm
There were some good buzz threads on crock pot cooking and braising (I think I started one), and some of us were on those - I might have saved them in the great buzzdeath, but it's too much trouble to look right now. Of course, there are probably 15 million crock pot recipes on the internet, but I'm interested in ... what we all had to say, and especially what Cav or Vincent would do re braising. Also there was a guy named something like ddgjdrjjp - not our djdj - who had some good recipes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 09:27 pm
At the first of the thread eBeth linked some old A2K crock pot threads that had some great recipes!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 09:33 pm
aha!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 09:34 pm
you cant thicken a broth in a crock pot ? or can you? Ours doesnt boil (I think thats part of the idea no?)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 09:38 pm
It never thickens? she says quizzically... well, I suppose not, given the tight seal.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 09:58 pm
I thicked it when I made that sauce for the fish.

I turned it all the way to the highest setting and it boiled like crazy. The sauce got really thick, I reduced it down to next to nothing, added wine -- sauce.

I make tempura in my crock pot too though so it for sure gets very hot. It has a thermostat that goes from like 200 - 500 degrees.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 10:01 pm
But... but.... but...

I thought a crock pot basically does braising for you, in a sort of gross way.. not to cast aspersions but some will understand. And I guess to keep going for all those hours it would have to hold in the moisture, or you'd have crispy critters.

Hmm, so how much money is a reasonable sized crock pot anyway? If I don't like it, it'll go right to the salvation army... or s.a. equivalent..
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
Here's a common brand of crockpot. As I recall, they were the first on the market, back in the early '70s. Anywhere from $10 to $75. I favour the oval-shaped pot.

Rival Crockpots
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 12:06 pm
Interesting...
and now to figure out what the best size is..
0 Replies