Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
ACK. It's hot. I am not turning on the stove. It seems stupid to turn on the AC when we spend most of the day outside or running in and out. I have a feeling that I'm going to be using my crock pot for a while.

Usually I just use it for soups and stews - that sort of thing - but it's too hot for that sort of thing right now.

This morning I threw a chicken in the pot, added some beer, some chili powder, etc. and figure I'll serve it up on some tortillias with fresh vegetables.

I really need some ideas because I can't have chicken tacos every night.

Do you crock pot?

Please share your recipes!

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,985 • Replies: 42
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:03 pm
Jose Cuervo asks about crock pot cooking ...

where Swimpy's question about crock pot cooking was referred to ...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:11 pm
My favorite is roast beast . If I am going to let it cook all day (8-9 hours) I cover it with water, add some beef boullion, potatoes, carrots, onions and fresh garlic and let 'er go on low all day. If you put too little water in, the top will dry out so make sure it's covered. Best meal ever, and so easy...clean up is one crock.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:20 pm
Those two threads are great eBeth! Thank you!

Ummm. Roast. Thanks, Bella, I'll try that!

There seems to be some disagreement on the whole water/broth/liquid issue.

I've always added liquids, but like I said, I usually make soups or stews.

Can you cook rice in the same pot?

What about apples?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:24 pm
Oh and when the beast is done, you can take the juice and make some gravy. Mmmmm......

Sometimes I will also throw in a can of beef broth instead of the boullion. Depends on what you like.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:16 pm
I came up with a good one today!

I cooked a turkey breast in the pot so that we could have sandwiches over the weekend and there was all that lovely broth left that I couldn't face throwing away.

I poached the fish (salmon) I was going to cook for tonights dinner it it. Then reduced the broth down, threw in some wine, dumped it over the fish and now I'm letting it chill.

I'm going to serve it cold with fresh bread and assorted vegetables.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:19 pm
yum, the thing I love about crock pot cooking is that you can basically throw anything into the pot and cook it and it's fine...I usually include chicken, veggies and potatoes...yum...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:44 pm
...annoying Jehovahs Witnesses.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
FARMERMAN! YOU GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE AND CLEAN THIS MONITOR UP NOW!

JUST WAIT UNTIL YOUR FATHER GETS HOME.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 05:47 pm
Pork shoulder works well in a crockpot. Put in a teaspoon of liquid smoke with some water, cook on low for 8-10 hours, and it's almost like you barbecued it. Pull the meat apart, put it on a bun with some barbecue sauce thinned with vinegar, top it with a little coleslaw and you've got a Carolina pulled pork barbecue sandwich.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 06:17 pm
why you, Thats a heresy!!!
Go pull your own pork, I want mine bbq'd
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:13 pm
I've done something like that in my dutch over, cjhsa.

I pour in 1/3 cup salsa and another 1/3 cups salsa mixed with a bit of corn startch then serve it on corn tortillias.

I don't know why I haven't thought about doing that in the crock pot instead!

farmerman had me sputtering so bad that I forgot to welcome Jonsey to A2K.

Hello Jonsey and welcome to A2K! Thanks for joining the thread.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:25 pm
I know farmerman, but it is a decent substitute when you don't have all day to stand around tending the pit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:44 pm
Girl is into oven or stovetop braising here, but I listen as the recipes for crockpots and regular braising often overlap...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 07:15 am
what cut of meat do you all use for a "pulled pork" sammich
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 08:55 am
Pork shoulder.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:24 am
boomerang wrote:
I came up with a good one today!

I cooked a turkey breast in the pot so that we could have sandwiches over the weekend and there was all that lovely broth left that I couldn't face throwing away.

I poached the fish (salmon) I was going to cook for tonights dinner it it. Then reduced the broth down, threw in some wine, dumped it over the fish and now I'm letting it chill.

I'm going to serve it cold with fresh bread and assorted vegetables.

Boom - How did you do the turkey? I've had one in my freezer taking up space for a few months, but don't feel like dragging it out for the oven.

Did you defrost yours first, or just let the crockpot do it? How long?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:28 am
If it's just a breast, you can certainly throw it whole and frozen into the pot. "Witches stew".
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:35 am
Mine was defrosted. It had one of those little pop-out things to tell you when it was done so I didn't pay much attention to the time it took. On low, maybe about 4 hours.

It turned out really nice, very juicy. If I were going to serve it as turkey (instead of the sandwiches it was being cooked for) I probably would have stuck it in the oven to brown it up a bit though as it was not too attractive at the end of the cooking.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:37 am
Thanks I'll give it a whirl tomorrow.
0 Replies