Micorsoft? What is this???

Devans472

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2003 01:55 pm
Twain-Tech causing my "Micorsoft" Pop-up problem
I tried using adaware and spybot s&d but none of these solutions actually solved my problem. Adaware and Spybot would delete cookies created by the offending ad-launcher but would never stop them from being created again or stop pop-ups.

I found a program installed on my computer called twain-tech that was launching the ads:
At first I found and deleted the BHO entry using HiJackThis and then deleted the twaintech.dll in my C:\windows folder. I later found that there was an uninstall entry in my windows control panel and I used that.

If you go up to
twain-tech.com
they claim that you are prompted before installing the software - which I think I would recall. They also claim to write other software for targeted ads besides this twaintech.dll file. So, I'm not sure if they are responsible for all the "Micorsoft" problems or if it is a common misspelling with adware/spyware software.

I hope this helps some people. Smile
0 Replies

ZH875

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2003 06:43 am
Micorsoft
Thanks for all the good advice, Spybot removed the offending progs and I am now clear. Razz
0 Replies

hatlessslim

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 04:47 am
Micorsoft Popup
Thanks for your help guys. Have been getting this annoying pop up for about a month now. Did all the usual things; ie searched all my files etc. However, the best thing that I found (at the suggestion of another on this page) was go into add/remove programs find the program that says Win32_bi. GET RID OF IT !! It really, really works. FINALLY ! Thanks again to all. Razz
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:19 am
Great to hear! Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

arunm

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:40 pm
Re: Twain-Tech causing my "Micorsoft" Pop-up probl
Devans472 wrote:
I tried using adaware and spybot s&d but none of these solutions actually solved my problem. Adaware and Spybot would delete cookies created by the offending ad-launcher but would never stop them from being created again or stop pop-ups.

I found a program installed on my computer called twain-tech that was launching the ads:
At first I found and deleted the BHO entry using HiJackThis and then deleted the twaintech.dll in my C:\windows folder. I later found that there was an uninstall entry in my windows control panel and I used that.

If you go up to
twain-tech.com
they claim that you are prompted before installing the software - which I think I would recall. They also claim to write other software for targeted ads besides this twaintech.dll file. So, I'm not sure if they are responsible for all the "Micorsoft" problems or if it is a common misspelling with adware/spyware software.

I hope this helps some people. Smile

Thanks Devans472. I too tried adaware and spybot to no avail. Your solution fixed the problem
0 Replies

ADKWilly

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:06 am
I've got Norton Internet Security, WindowWasher and NoAdware. None of them could figure out what to do about the MicORsoft pop-up. Big debate over is it a misspelling or intentional. I'm convinced it's intentional and discrete enough to fool many people who still hold trust in MicROsoft. FINALLY AN APPARENT SOLUTION - - - deleting the application WIN32_bi - - - I did it and have been surfing the net all morning and NO MICORSOFT. I hope it lasts! Whoever came up with this should get an award!
0 Replies

sweet majestic darkness

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:05 pm
Wow! I did an internet search through Google for "xads.offeroptimizer" and it brought me to this message board topic. I can not believe everything that I have read! I mean I believe it, but I am amazed. I still don't understand exactly where this program came from. But I know I have it and need to get rid of it. I did almost eveything I read on this board. I just d/l and ran Spybot. I will come back and let you know if it helped. It is crazy to me that this many people have encountered this same problem. I have dealt with this for a looooong time. I tried a few different pop-up blockers, but nothing I found would block these pop-ups. I knew it was something in my computer because if I clicked on the pop-up enough times (in my toolbar) it would come from "behind the clock" I think someone else stated. I would like to thank each and every one of you for the information posted in this thread.

And in the meantime, I found a new forum to belong to!

Rebekki
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:10 pm
Welcome, Rebekki! Smile
0 Replies

sweet majestic darkness

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 09:35 pm
Thank you sozobe Smile

I d/l, installed, and ran Spybot. It took out quite a few things, but not the xads.offeroptimizer pop-ups. So then I d/l, installed, and ran Ad-aware. I am now pop-up free. Thenk you guys for everything. I typed in all that stuff you guys said to, searched for it, and I found nothing under "Search". I still don't know where this was hidden. Question
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:13 am
Sweet Majestic, it would have been in a system folder. If you don't have your Explorer set to view all folders, the system folders are hidden ... which is mostly a good idea; folks who don't know about that have no business messing with system files. That's pretty much like tinkering with the innards of your TV set.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 10:14 am
THANK THE LORD FOR MACS
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 08:39 pm
I swear... my next computer will be a Macintosh. Do you think my new & beautiful NEC flat-screen monitor will be compatible with one?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 29 Feb, 2004 09:01 pm
Should work fine, Piffka. The video adapter (video card) in the computer is what drives the monitor, and that's not Operating-System specific.

And Apples can crash, too. If you're in a major metro area, theres plenty of support and service for Apples, so go for it. Out here in the boonies, its harder to find folks who can fiddle and twiddle with Apples. I have a couple of 'em, and they're OK. They're just machines, same as any other computer. There were some real hassles with the migration from Apple OS 9 to the current OS10; lots of peripherals and applications didn't work with the new OS, but that's been pretty well addressed and sorted out. I dunno if its still the case, but for a while there, Apple was shipping all its new machines with both operating systems, in case OS10 didn't work for the user. My PowerBook came that way. I'm glad it did. Its running OS10 now, but a year or so ago, half my stuff woundn't function under the new system, and I ran OS9 on it exclusively untill just a couple months ago.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2004 02:13 pm
Thanks Timber. Hope you'll be around when I replace this computer. Maybe it should be a Powerbook? It is amazing that Apple would ship two operating systems "just in case." Hard to put a lot of faith in the newest version, but at least they were trying to be honest & forthright. I like that in a company.
0 Replies

olobolo

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 09:27 am
useful info
hello I've read through most of the thread and just thought I'd give some infomation people might find useful.

I use the following programs to try to keep my computer clean:

*Sygate (software firewall blocking all in/outbound connections unless I say otherwise)
*Pestpatrol (Spyware-, cookie blocker)
*Adaware Pro (Spyware-, cookie-, ad blocker)
*Spybot (Efficient FREE Spyware blocker etc.)
*HijackThis.exe
*pc-cillin(Trendmicro anti-virus)

In addition I set Internet Explorers security setting to "highest"
And cookie privacy to block cookies unless accepted by me.

Also I did something once to my system so that I can never see those commercials in frames, they just say "Action cancelled" where the commercial should be, I wish I could remember what it was I did long ago.

Anyway, hope it was useful to some Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2004 10:27 am
What you probably did was specify certain domains in your HOSTS file and reroute them to the localhost IP.
0 Replies

olobolo

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2004 07:34 pm
You may be right but I don't quite understand what you wrote (because I'm not very skilled at this Confused )

What is a hosts file and what does it mean to reroute them to localhost IP?
Rydium

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:28 pm
@olobolo,
Few things to say:
1. I'm new to this & couldn't find the post button so I replied to this.
2.No one will probably read this as it was posted 4 years after the last post.
3. DW15.exe & the super hidden DW20.exe are one of 3 things:
---1. They are both ''Disguised'' as an error reporting tool.
---2.They are Spyware, not Adware.
---3.The reason virus scanners, adware/spyware scanners, etc. dont find or delete this is because it's supposed to be there.

The Story...

The creators of this software are DesaWare, hence ''DW''15.exe. At one point these were the best guys at hacking, spying on or !!DESTROYING!! computers.Until Migrosoft tracked them down. But for some reason they, Mijrosoft, didn't prosecute them. Instead their hired DesaWare to help keep the law even more on their side, by creating a software that keeps survelliance on sytem or major file actions. And belive it or not, DesaWare made software for the Pentadon. The software that tracks you down once your in their system. If you don't belive me, google DesaWare. Unfourtuantly, I cant remember the website I went to for the rest of the info. Oh Well.

By the way, anybode reading this in 2009, NEVER open an email subjected Postcard,POSTECARD,Hallmark,Hallemark,HALLMAKE or any other translation of these words, no matter who from.This is a buffer virus. The worst virus possible. It will literally "fry", like chips, your computer & it's componments.To keep safe, ALWAYS install updates for your computer, & download all Full Version Uniblue software, if need be download a BitTo---nt Version. For advanced users, never leave settings on automatic configuration.

Sorry For The Long Message, Rydium.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2009 01:41 pm
@Rydium,
Welcome to a2k, rydium.

To post a new thread, click on the words in the blue band above "start a discusssion", or if a simple question, "ask a question".
0 Replies