Micorsoft? What is this???

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:44 pm
mamajuana wrote:
Backorifice is rare? Well, it seems to be out now. When I checked to see what it was, they had put some hollywood gossip items on. I found out about this in a list I found in PC World in my doctor's office (since I'm the only one who reads it they let me take it home). So I went and checked, and it was there along with other stuff. This is like a constant battle. Like Alexa never really left, either, so I'm cleaning like mad.

Backorfice is a word used to describe many trojans.

The real danger is a program that the Cult of the Dead Cow (a group of hackers who seem to be less malicious now than before) wrote and that allows people to remotely control your computer.

Basically it's a backdoor to your computer, like PC Anywhere but malicious.

As to alexa that is one thing Ad-Aware ALWAYS gets wrong.

Alexa the toolbar is just like the google tool bar (with the PR feature turned on) in terms of privacy (though Google has two settings and Alexa only one).

Alexa has had lots of "spyware" paranoia about it. IMO it's all misplaced as Alexa allows you to uninstall in less than 30 seconds and it allows you to turn it on and off. They are upfront about the data they use and they only use it in agreggate.

But that's just one side of the coin, the other is that a Microisoft uses Alexa to determine related links. Microsoft does not transmit any data to Alexa but instead uses Alexa's data.

Since Ad-Aware is a program and with limited "intelligence" it just sees the same name and tried to remove it.

This is why I said on another topic that Ad-Aware will never run. Not ONE SINGLE TIME without doing somethign wrong.

I use Ad-Aware to search. I do not use their removal tools as bot the search and removal tools are deeply flawed.

Unfortunately they are the best there is for now.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 05:46 pm
Re: MICORsoft HTML Code
alumni wrote:
I noticed that I had a MicORsoft IE Window minimized at the bottom of my screen that I could not "Restore". I went to task manager and restored it that way. Once the browser session was restored, it was a blank page. I right clicked the page and grabbed the source.

What do I do now???

Alumni,

This: http://www.qksrv.net/click-968220-4976022 (don't click it because you don't want the guy tio make money!)

Is a link from this site: www.cj.com

Report the circumstances to CJ and they will probably terminate the guy's account.
0 Replies

freemaz

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
I've been following this chain and was wondering if anyone has yet to figure out how to get the darn Micorsoft program from running?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 08:38 pm
freemaz,

I ahve never had the misfortune to get infected with Mocorsoft, thus the following is the best i can do:

If you have a Windows version after 9X (e.g. ME, NT, XP) use system restore to go back to a configuration sans Micorsoft.

Open your registry and post the contents here so we can try to discover what is starting it.

Run Ad-Aware (let us know if you need a link to the program download). I do not think it will work because "micorsoft" adware has not yer propagated.

Let us know how things go, it's hard to remotely diagnose your box but I will continue to try to help and there are other more experienced computer users here who are willing to help as well.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:03 pm
Hi all,

I'm a little confused, but isn't that minimized "micoroft" window just a "foot in the door" by an advertiser,..a window that allows a cascade of pop-ups on your comp?

Whenever that happens to me, I've always just clicked on that minimized window (to bring it to the front), then hit ctrl+w to close the window. It's always worked for me.

I've not had great luck with adaware, but "spybot, search and destroy" has proven very helpful,...I think.... Any info??
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 09:21 pm
Jerry,

It is (a popup laucher). It's a rare one and due to the radio misspelling of Microsoft it's hard to find info on.

I have yet to determine if it's launched by certain sites or by adware on their computers.

I suspect the latter and it would be good to help them get it off their computers.
0 Replies

alumni

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 08:48 am
CJ
Sorry to play dumb... but who is CJ?
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 03:49 pm
Hi alumni,

"CJ" is a internet-marketing company called "Commission Junction".

Craven,

Thanks, I thought that's what it was. The adware remover I mentioned, "Spy Bot", has been very helpful to my computer, it also backs up any files you remove, in case of mistakes. I also like the thought that it is a "volunteer driven" site and program.

Heres the link:

Spybot

I had "Xupiter" up the wazoo,..couldn't get rid of it,..this took it out really easily.
0 Replies

alumni

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:32 am
MiCORsoft POP-UP RESOLUTION!!!
MiCORsoft POP-UP RESOLUTION!!!
Something that you have downloaded has installed a "browser helper object". "BHO Cop" is a utility that will identify all of these objects and will allow you to disable them. I am not sure where to get this utility... someone that I trust emailed it to me, but you can probably find it using a google search. I think it originally came from PC Magazine. Idea
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 10:15 am
http://www.micorsoft.com/

I don't know if this is the site that is putting ads on your machine, but it is a site where folks can download hacked versions of Microsoft (TM) programs and operating systems for free.
0 Replies

larry

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 12:24 am
Great info on that SpyBot program, JerryR! I've been plagued with the Micorsoft "virus" for months and nothing seemed to get rid of it.

After reading your post, I downloaded SpyBot and removed loads of spyware that Ad-Aware missed. It's been over a day now, and Micorsoft has not raised its filthy little head at all. Some websites seem to come up faster too. I have to assume Micorsoft was taking a little extra time to show itself before allowing an affected website to appear.

Thanks dude!
Larry
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:05 am
Thanks for all this useful info. I just installed Spybot too. I tried to install History killer but it doesn't seem to be working Sad . Spybot found quite a few cookies and junk. Smile

Is there a free programme that does a similar job to History killer???? what is the best anti virus programme (I've got Norton).

The registry etc side is a mystery to me - so simple pleeeeease! Confused
0 Replies

owi

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:39 am
my tip against viruses and popups: Avoid using programs like internet explorer or outlook (express). There are good alternatives available like Mozilla Firebird etc.
0 Replies

nimue24

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:40 pm
Thank goodness for this topic!! I have been plagued by the Micorsoft Virus for the last year, but I have reached my wits end. Please help me get rid of this evil thing.
My symptoms are as follows:
The Micorsoft Explorer icon shows up at the bottom of my page after I have been browsing for a few minutes. My computer then disconnects from the internet and I get DNS errors. I have to reboot in order to get connected again. I can`t simply hit restart either, because the computer gets stuck in some purgatory where it is saving my settings forever. I have to kill the power, and then manually start up again.
Sometimes even after I restart though I get a blue screen that has 2 lines of code ending with "IRQL error".
It also seems to effect my printer connection. Once the Micorsoft icon shows up, my computer thinks it doesn`t have a driver installed for my printer. After I reboot, the driver has miraculously resurrected itself.
In any case, this boot-browse-reboot cycle goes on about every 30 minutes or so.
PLEEEEEEEEAAAASE help me make it stop.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 01:41 pm
nimue24,

Have you followed the instructions on the thread?

Use spybot ( http://security.kolla.de/ ) to try to remove the pest.
0 Replies

nimue24

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 02:39 pm
I`ll give it a shot-- I didn`t see that recommendation in the thread.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 02:43 pm
Nimue, some guy callin' himself "Merlin" just called, you want i should take a message ?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 03:08 pm
nimue24,

If it doesn't work give us a holler and we'll try to find another way to help you.
0 Replies

ayekantspeylgud

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 05:56 pm
Well I guess everyone's over the whole "Micorsoft" deal. But for the record, it's NOT a virus. Mad If it was a virus, everyone's machine would be all screwy and all that junk. My biggest question is whether the misspelling of "Microsoft" was deliberate or accidental. Shocked My guess is deliberate. Especially considering the way it hides down at the bottom of the task bar and occasionally will even close itself. My best guess would be that if nothing else, it's some popup that plants a cookie or something on your computer, at worst. I have Proxomitron but that's one window it DOESN'T block. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ayekantspeylgud

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 06:03 pm
micorsoft
Owi - I hate to say it but using a different web browser will NOT protect you from viruses. Some DO have pop-up stoppers bundled with them, however, you can just as easily get a nifty popup stopper for IE. Another thing you can do SOMETIMES is to go to Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom... and check the little bubble that makes your computer PROMPT you as to whether or not to allow a cookie to be saved to your machine. Very simple. Cool
0 Replies