Micorsoft? What is this???

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 01:03 pm
For about a week I've been getting links on the bottom of my screen that say Micorsoft Internet Explorer. I have three right now! I can't open them, they seem to be empty. I can close them but they keep reappearing.

Crying or Very sad
Can anybody explain this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 48,581 • Replies: 118
No top replies

marycat

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 01:21 pm
I get those too. I could be wrong, but I believe those are caused by sites sending us pop-up ads and cookies and such. Those little nothing-windows are just by-products, advertising runoff if you will. That's what I have always thought they were. Not sure if I made that up or if a Computer Person told me so, though.

They can't hurt your computer or steal your info, they're just annoying little buggers.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 01:23 pm
Use the CTRL ALT DELETE key combination to pull up the programs running. Highlight each of these, in turn, and select "End Task" to get rid of them. They are not MicroSoft just because they say they are.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 01:37 pm
Thanks MaryCat, thanks Roger. I'm glad it is not spyware (which I don't quite understand, but don't like on principle). I have been deleting the little buggers but they just reappear. I will just keep deleting them, I guess.

The creepy thing is the misspelling... it's like a sneaky trick. I appreciate your help!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 04:15 pm
If you mean they show up in the task bar at the bottom of your screen, you can also right click on them and "close." Whenever you open a new window, whether its in Internet Explorer, Word Pad, whatever, you get the corresponding box in the task bar. This also happens when you get popup ads. Its now a habit with me, whenever I see popups occurring, to point my mouse at the task bar and right-click and close the popups.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 04:52 pm
Hi Larry! Yep, that's where they're located and that's what I do, but when I realized that they weren't saying MICROsoft, but saying MICORsoft, I wondered if it were something awful like the horrible virus I got last year.

My son recently installed the Proxomitron on my computer to control all the pop-ups that were following me around. That's worked really well at knocking out unwanted stuff, except for this.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 04:59 pm
Piffka- If spyware pisses you off, take a look at this:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

It checks through your computer, targets spyware. Then you can have the program blow the spyware away!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:09 pm
Try file search with "micrsoft" in the file name and if you find something it might tell the identity.
(Registry search is possible also, but I cannot recommend this. If you have a friend very familiar with computers, the search in registry will be tried.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:10 pm
Geez, Phoenix... that sounds so satisfying!!! Do you use this?

I'm very annoyed to think that somebody can legally "climb" into my computer and do as they will. But the worst for me was being absolutely plagued by pop-ups... I couldn't type a single thing without some very aggressive pop-ups replicating themselves many times. I'd kill one and two more would come up in its place. I felt like the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I still have stupid Xupiter but compared to the rest, where I'd be in the midst of typing and a popup would slip in and suddenly become my homepage, it is nothing. Grrrrrrrrrr, I hate them. So far, I'm happy with the Proximitron, except for this Micorsoft weirdness.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:14 pm
Satt
I don't this it's wise for less than experts to poke around in the registry.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:17 pm
I said I coould not recommend [registry search]. But tried by an expert.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:18 pm
Oh, Hi Satt -- Thanks for the idea! I've just done a file search and found "Micor" in twelve places, including WIMEXE and WIN_16. Of course, I'm not sure what to do now, LOL. I do have a knowledgeable friend and will save the search and show it to him.

Thanks!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:20 pm
Hi Husker! Don't worry -- I know when to stop. THe last time I did something with registers was when I coded in Assembler for a class. No thanks. I'm not touching anything like that!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:22 pm
sorry Satt - sounder worse that I mean Confused
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:30 pm
husker..
never mind.

Piffka..
What about a google search?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 05:40 pm
Good idea, Satt. I just did a Google search but everything I checked that said Micorsoft eventually turned out to be a misspelling of Microsoft. It is truly a mystery to me! Could all of this just be a transposing of two letters? hmmmmm!

Oh well. At least none of you recognizes this as some horrible virus, which was my main concern.
0 Replies

TechnoGuyRob

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 07:48 pm
i know what u mean LOL Very Happy
its a micro bug :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:31 pm
As a follow-up... guess you'd be interested. My computer collapsed completely a day and a half after the last post. At the shop it was found to have collected over 400 viruses, despite continually running Norton 2001 Anti-Virus. It had some spyware onboard as well. If you ever get Xupiter, that's spyware, they told me. The Micorsoft was also somehow related.

They upgraded my computer to Windows XP Home and Norton 2003. Somehow I lost my Weatherbug program but at least, after five days in the shop, my computer is back and has been cheerfully working ever since.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 08:52 pm
The last post (as of 2003-04-06, 02:50 GMT not in DST) of this link refers to spywares.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5097&highlight=
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:12 pm
Thanks, Satt. You are so smart about using computers! I see that the shop installed SpyBot on my machine. I am supposed to scan at least weekly, they said. I just did... there were a few that had attached themselves, mostly cookies, but I cleaned them out.

I wish there was a simple, fool-proof way to manage PC security... but it appears there isn't.
0 Replies