Micorsoft? What is this???

satt fs

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:23 pm
When PC was my main platform, I once installed "Internet Cleanup" and the program detected several spywares on my PC, and now it detects none.
Currently my main platform is Mac, and I have a program "MacScan" which are to detect spywares but no spywares have been found on my Mac.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:34 pm
That is interesting. It sounds like the Macs are better able to protect themselves from spyware. That is a good argument for switching to Macs and away from PCs; certainly that is a discussion which has been going on in this house!

Following this latest "investment" I think I can't consider changing for a while, but it will remain in the back of my mind for next time.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:46 pm
It may not be fair to say that Macs protects themselves better than PCs, but it can be said that the relative safety of Macs is caused by lower population density of users among home computer users. Those softwares (spywares) for Macs might not be profitable compared with those for PCs, from the standpoint of producers.
But it can fairly be said that Macs are light weighted as to virus/worm checking functions and security considerations. There are only a few security patches for the Mac OS's, and light.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 09:54 pm
So there is something to be said for being part of a small population! Small can be beautiful!

I'm not sure what you mean by Macs have light-weighted virus and worm-checking functions... do you mean they are not strong at protecting against these? Or again, they don't need to be, since they are less likely to be attacked?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:05 pm
The virus check can terminate within a minute scanning my user directory (or folder), and I feel almost no necessity of "live check." No virus has been detected on my Mac, so far.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 10:11 pm
Wow. That really is impressive. It also tells me that even if the Macs start out more expensive than PCs, they'll be less likely to go into the shop for these problems, which quickly become costly to solve.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:47 pm
Oh my goodness Piffka! I'm sorry to hear about your computer's diagnosis. Glad it's okay now.

Maybe it's time to check mine for spyware too. I run aggressive anti-virus software (the latest Norton, once a week) and I delete temporary files regularly, but maybe it's time to think about something targeting spyware specifically.

When I get back to the land of high-speed I'll have to check out those sites.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 10:02 pm
Hi marycat -- Are you in transit? Hope the move is going smoothly for you!

Before this happened I thought I was being aggressive with my anti-virus programs, but I don't delete temporary files regularly (is that something I should do?). I've peeled spyware off the two times I've run this software, but nothing as serious as xupiter. I am scared that something bad will happen again, so far, so good.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:14 am
You should get rid of the temp internet files. Actually, you can make them go away by themselves. Here's the sequence to do this.

Click tools,
Then Internet Options,
Advanced --- now scroll down till you find the "Security" heading. Under security, you will find "Empty internet files when browser is closed." Check the box in front of the option.

You should still be doing defrag after selecting this option
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 11:43 am
Thanks, Roger. You made that so clear... I did it in an instant... well, a couple of instants.

Last time I defragged, I started out with 71% open and when it was done, I had 70% open. Maybe I shouldn't have been playing Spider Solitaire while I waited?
0 Replies

alumni

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 07:57 pm
MICORSOFT Code!!!
I was able to capture the code behind the MICORsoft page, but I am not an HTML jock. This code causes pop-ups on my browser all the time. Any thoughts???

<HTML><TITLE> Micorsoft Internet Explorer</TITLE>
<BODY>
<BODY>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
document.domain = 'cliks.org';

self.blur();
screenx = window.screen.availWidth;
screeny = window.screen.availHeight;

url="/close.html";
valign='top';
align='left';
width=250;
height=250;
hosted=1;
windowx=0;
windowy=0;
statusbar=0;
titlebar=0;
menubar=0;
locationbar=0;
toolbar=0;
scrollbars=0;
invisible=0;
resizable=0;
ontop=0;
// Define these for your campaign
url="http://www.qksrv.net/click-968220-4976022";
width=800;
height=600;
ontop=0;
hosted=0;
resizable=1;
scrollbars=1;

if (valign=='middle'){
windowy = (screeny/2) - (height/2);
} else if (valign=='bottom'){
windowy = screeny - height;
} else {
windowy = 30;
}

if (align=='center'){
windowx = (screenx/2) - (width/2);
} else if (align=='right'){
windowx = (screenx - width) - 20;
} else {
windowx = 0;
}

setScroll = 0;
if (width > screenx){width = screenx;setScroll=1;}
if (height > screeny){height = screeny;setScroll=1;}
if (setScroll == 1){scrollbars=1;resizable=1;}
if (hosted == 0){screeny = windowy; screenx = windowx;}

winad=window.open(url, "_blank",
"width=" + width + "," +
"height=" + height + "," +
"top=" + screeny + "," +
"left=" + screenx + "," +
"status=" + statusbar + "," +
"titlebar=" + titlebar + "," +
"menubar=" + menubar + "," +
"location=" + locationbar + "," +
"toolbar=" + toolbar + "," +
"scrollbars=" + scrollbars + "," +
"resizable=" + resizable);

self.window.moveTo(screeny,screenx);

if (ontop==1) {
setTimeout('winad.focus();',400);
} else {
setTimeout('winad.blur();',200);
setTimeout('winad.blur();',10001);
}
if ((hosted == 1) || (invisible == 1)){
if(invisible != 1){
setTimeout('winad.focus();',9900);
setTimeout('winad.moveTo(windowx,windowy);',10000);
setTimeout('self.location.href="http://xads.cliks.org/close.html"',10002);
} else {
setTimeout('self.location.href="http://xads.cliks.org/close.html"',500);
}
} else {
// we skip trying to affect the other window since we dont host it
self.location.href="http://xads.cliks.org/close.html";
}

</SCRIPT>
</BODY>
</BODY></HTML>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 08:03 pm
Whoever wrote that code seems to have an affiliate with commision junction.

If it's doing something shady and CJ is informed they will cancel his account.

Where did you get that HTML?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 09:52 pm
I installed Window Washer and Ad aware, and so far it seems to be working. Turned out I had stuff I didn't know was there, including something called "backorifice client" which is, I was told, a trojan horse. Although I'm fascinated by the things, I'm just short of being a computer illiterate, so I rely on my son (who's been working with computers for years) and his sons, because it seems to me that almost all young kids are born knowing a lot about computers. I think there's an age thing here - they're not afraid of the things, where I am apprehensive.

And I'd like, at this point, Craven, to thank you for being so helpful all those times you didn't know I was counting on you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 30 May, 2003 11:08 pm
backorifice , is rare. It's a REALLY bad trojan to have!!!!
0 Replies

alumni

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 10:08 am
MICORsoft HTML Code
I noticed that I had a MicORsoft IE Window minimized at the bottom of my screen that I could not "Restore". I went to task manager and restored it that way. Once the browser session was restored, it was a blank page. I right clicked the page and grabbed the source.

What do I do now???
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 01:13 pm
Backorifice is rare? Well, it seems to be out now. When I checked to see what it was, they had put some hollywood gossip items on. I found out about this in a list I found in PC World in my doctor's office (since I'm the only one who reads it they let me take it home). So I went and checked, and it was there along with other stuff. This is like a constant battle. Like Alexa never really left, either, so I'm cleaning like mad.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 01:59 pm
It's not rare in the sense that you wouldn't be able to download it if you were looking for it.
Like Craven said it's extremely dangerous to have running on your PC, & if you still have it you should delete it immediately.

Alexa can be disabled or uninstalled quite easily, so there's no need to resort to AdAware for this.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:46 pm
My son in law called me this morning to warn of a virus masking as Microsoft and not to open it. Macs have virtually no trouble as 95% of software is PC compatible and therefore viruses are written for their coding. The Mac OS operating system is completely different.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 02:56 pm
Virus protection is as critical for a Mac as for a PC.

There may be a greater quantity of viruses written for Windows, but the danger is just as real & present regardless of your OS.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:25 pm
In many cases, scanning a Mac for a virus is a kind of a service to PC users, intended not to transmit PC viruses via the Mac.
(You are free to take this as a joke.)
0 Replies