Physically unable to begin tasks

comithy

Reply Mon 3 May, 2021 02:01 am
Hi

It's my first time posting on here. I made an account just for the sake of letting this off my chest and in the hopes that I can get some real advice/suggestions.

I find myself unable to begin tasks. Even now, I have an exam final in 18 hours which I have not studied for at all and as you can see I'm on here talking about it rather than doing it.

I just spent the last 2 days writing back-to-back 3k essays and when I finished my final one last night, I was so nauseous and experienced extreme vertigo from having myself do one task for a long period of time. I can't focus for long periods of time or else it makes me physically ill (stomach problems, migraines) like my brain just absolutely refuses to stay on track. It's the same problem now where I just can't keep my mind on my revision and I keep finding reasons to get up. I know this final is really important but I don't feel anything. I'm not motivated at all.

Side notes : I used to work well under time pressure but that changed even now. I missed 2 deadlines and submitted my assignments late and didn't care at all, and I feel like I'm spiraling.

Can anyone give me advice on how to handle this or if I should be doing anything different? I'm really at a loss now. My lack of focus is really ruining my life and I don't know how to change it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,110 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 3 May, 2021 03:43 am
@comithy,
Go to your doctor. You sound horribly stressed. Also ask him or her about executive dysfunction.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2021 09:01 am
@comithy,
It sounds like you are in a university setting. Go to the health clinic - make sure you do not have anything making you physically ill.

Also, most universities have counselors available - go seek one. I do not mean a career or academic counselor - but the emotional/mental ones. University can be very stressful and also covid has caused increased amounts on emotional stress. They can help you work through it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 3 May, 2021 04:12 pm
Procrastinating can get us in trouble. It forces us to do “catch up” and that is exhausting and bad for the psyche.

Try to pace yourself. Keep a list of reasonable things to do each day.

Cramming is OK in high school but no way to attack tasks as we get older.
0 Replies

papag

Reply Wed 5 May, 2021 06:36 am
@comithy,
Why manage your time?
Time is like money. If you waste it, you won’t have it when you need it. On the other hand, if you budget your time, you will have some left over to do the things you enjoy!

Bible principle: “The lazy person has his cravings, yet he has nothing, but the diligent one will be fully satisfied.”​—Proverbs 13:4.

The bottom line: Managing your time will give you more freedom, not less.

Time management is a valuable skill that will serve you well in adulthood. It can even make the difference between your holding down a job and being fired. After all, if you ran a business, would you keep an employee who repeatedly showed up late for work?

Bible principle: “The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much.”​—Luke 16:10.

The bottom line: The ability to manage time says something about the kind of person you are.

Admittedly, though, time management isn’t easy. Consider just a few obstacles.

Obstacle #1: Friends

“If friends ask me to go out with them, I almost always make it happen even if I really don’t have the time. I think, ‘Oh, I can do a rush job when I get home.’ It doesn’t always work, and things have gone very wrong as a result.”​—Cynthia.

Obstacle #2: Distractions

“TV is like a vacuum cleaner. It sucks you in with its shows and movies, which are hard to resist.”​—Ivy.

“I can waste hours on my tablet. I feel guilty when the only thing that stops me is if the battery dies.”​—Marie.

Obstacle #3: Procrastination

“I procrastinate on my school assignments and on anything else I need to get done. I’ll waste my time doing something stupid until I absolutely have to get my assignment finished​—not exactly the best time management.”​—Beth.
What you can do
List your required tasks. Examples include your household chores and homework. Write down how much time you need to complete each task in a typical week.

Bible principle: “Make sure of the more important things.”​—Philippians 1:​10.

List the activities you like to do in your free time. This could include such activities as social networking and watching TV. Again, write down how many hours you spend on each activity in a typical week.

Bible principle: “Go on walking in wisdom . . . , making the best use of your time.”​—Colossians 4:5.

Create a plan. Look back at the two lists you created. Is enough time allocated for the important tasks? Do you need to buy out time from your leisure activities?

Tip: Make a daily to-do list, checking off each item as it is finished.

Bible principle: “The plans of the diligent surely lead to success.”​—Proverbs 21:5.

Follow through. True, you might have to turn down a social invitation now and then to get the important things done. Overall, however, you will find that you have more free time​—and you will enjoy it more.

Bible principle: “Be industrious, do not loiter at your business.”​—Romans 12:11, footnote.

Reward yourself​—but not too soon. “Sometimes I will complete two things on my to-do list,” says a young woman named Tara, “and then I’ll think, ‘OK, I can watch TV for 15 minutes and then I’ll get back to work.’ Well, 15 minutes turns into 30, and 30 minutes turns into an hour, and before I know it, I’ve wasted two hours on TV!”

The solution? View recreation as a reward for completing your tasks​—not as an automatic part of your day.

Bible principle: “There is nothing better for a man than to . . . find enjoyment in his hard work.”​—Ecclesiastes 2:​24.

What your peers say
“I keep a written schedule so that I can see what I need to accomplish. I even schedule quiet time so that I can ‘recharge my batteries.’ Having a plan gives me a clear picture of where I need to be strict with myself and where I can be flexible.”​—Cheyenne.

“I have learned to say no to things that I just can’t do. It can be hard to say no, but I’ve never had anyone get mad at me when I explained that the reason I couldn’t help was that I wouldn’t be able to give it my full attention.”​—Samuel.

“When my schedule was at its craziest, I tended to neglect sleep and exercise. But sometimes that extra hour of sleep or time spent exercising increases my productivity and happiness the next day. Taking care of your health is important.”​—Brooklyn.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies