coffee steam?

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:39 pm
Coffee and the hiss of Kingman's gas stove fill the air.

When we talk about something in the air. We usually refer to something untouchable, such as steam, air, gas, sound, etc. Yet in this sentense the author use "coffee" as the Subject, in parallel to "hiss" (which is the sound of the gas stove), I am curious about this. Do you often describe things like that? If coffee can fill the air, what else can fill the air, too? A cup of tea? Wine? Liquid volatile? For I think the author refer to the steam, doesn't he? Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 554 • Replies: 2
No top replies

KiwiChic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 07:43 pm
...aye? lol

it could be the hiss of the gas bottle? or it could be a pot of coffee hissing away on the gas stove?....senses such as emotions can also be on par with certain things in the air....
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:58 pm
It would be common to say that a sound fills the air, but to say that coffee fills the air would not be. It would be more typical to say that the smell of coffee fills the air. That said, though, creative writing allows room for metaphorical and figurative expression.
0 Replies