How to get clients for general contractor business online?

JonP6

Sun 11 Apr, 2021 09:01 pm
Hi everyone, need some advice on how to market my contractor services online. I'm only a local contractor and struggling to keep up with finding clients due to Covid.

View best answer, chosen by JonP6
jespah

Mon 12 Apr, 2021 03:53 am
@JonP6,
Here's how I find contractors:
1) Ask neighbors in a local group on Facebook
2) Do a generalized recommendation request on Facebook
3) Yelp
4) Specific contractor finder sites like Angie's List, Bark, and Task Rabbit
5) Google the specialty I am looking for, and add near me, i.e. porch replacement near me

For the first one, join local groups on Facebook. For #2 - 4, claim a presence on such sites. You will likely have to pay for the privilege, which makes sense, as it's a form of advertising. For the last one, build a decent website (you can get a domain from Godaddy, use Wordpress, and if you can't do it yourself, hire someone from Fiverr or Upwork) which clearly shows what you do.
0 Replies

Linkat
  Selected Answer

Mon 12 Apr, 2021 09:48 am
@JonP6,
One thing I have used from the other side of the spectrum - like when I need a plumber, chimney sweep or any other type of work say on my house, car, etc. Is I reach out on Nextdoor. It is an app that has you connected locally. So it can be for anything - but many people use it to reach out for references for local things like that.

In the past year, I ended up hiring a local plumber because I asked a question on a leak I had. He offered up some advice and said he would come over with no charge to look at it and give me an estimate. It was a win-win. I have seen him on there a lot providing free advice and as a result he gets business. Just talked with him last night and he walked me through a minor repair. I plan on hiring him again for a project I will need in a few months for my bathroom.

I think that is a good tactic and if people like you when another "neighbor" on the app asks for a local reference - I would willingly give his name.

So I would suggest finding as many avenues like this - to help you along - I have even seen someone like your self post their work and state they are local and this is the type of work they do.

I find many people want to hire someone local rather than a larger business but on the flip side don't know how to find them.
0 Replies