Bill Cosby---> Your View?

fdrhs

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:36 am
COMMENT: Understand Cosby's criticisms
Key is to help lower economic people, not just scold them
May 27, 2004
BY JOE RODRIGUEZ
"Hey, hey, hey, it's Fat Albert," and now we know how he got so big and lazy. And why his good-for-nothing pals, Mushmouth and Weird Harold, turned out the way they did.
Blame their parents.
Comedian Bill Cosby was never funnier than when he was the voice of Fat Albert and joking about growing up in 1960s Philadelphia. I saw him once in Las Vegas. Every other comedian on the Strip cussed, threw the finger or degraded women for laughs. Cosby always was too good, too intelligent and good-hearted for cheap laughs.
So when he recently blamed low-income parents for their failing, misbehaving or violent children, I was surprised. I cringed. Not because he's wrong but because the wrong jokers will embrace the punch line. There's a tendency these days to blame parents and culture -- black culture, Mexican heritage, Puerto Rican biculturalism or whatever invented pathology serves their purpose -- for academic failure, low employment and high incarceration rates among poor blacks and Latinos.
"The mother and the father born here didn't learn to speak standard English -- or math," Cosby said in a speech last weekend at Stanford University. "I don't know where we lost it, or how we lost it, but people are not parenting. . . . Some of these children have been raised like pimps."
Days before, Cosby spoke at a Brown v. Board of Education gala covered by the Washington Post: "Ladies and gentlemen, lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal. . . .
"They are buying things for kids -- $500 sneakers for what? And won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics."
You could imagine the tuxedos and evening gowns squirming in their seats. Fat Albert never talked like this. Neither did Cosby in his warm and fuzzy, best-selling book, "Bill Cosby on Fatherhood."
But is he telling the truth?
You can never go wrong blaming parents, especially single mothers.
So what if their neighborhood schools didn't have the latest textbooks, why didn't these parents come to the rescue with a $50,000 bake sale?
Too many gangs and drugs in the neighborhood? Just say No.
Poverty got you down? Just get married.
If you got married and you're still poor, then don't have kids until you can afford them.
See, when everything from local law enforcement to the federal safety net breaks down, you can always blame the parents for not seeing trouble around the corner or lacking the moral strength to make things right. People of color once had to overcome injustice. Now they must overcome themselves.
Bill Cosby may rue the day he singled out "lower economic people." He could find himself in a bear-hug with moral conservatives who want to eliminate social programs and scorned by liberals who misunderstood his message. Which was?
Let's help poor black parents overcome the failings of society and government. Let's help low-income Latino immigrants learn English. Let's help "lower economic people" fight racial injustice but also accept personal responsibility. And let's help most by talking about it loud and clear.
The working word here is "help."
How do I know this? No black celebrity has raised more money -- tens of millions over the years -- for black colleges and minority scholarship funds and education programs.
For example, he may have put his foot in his mouth at Stanford, but the event also raised $1 million for future teachers of low-income students. The preachers of individual responsibility don't offer concrete help like that. They preach.
Why Cosby vented against poor parents is anyone's guess, but we can be sure he wasn't the first or loudest. People of color were already talking -- and arguing -- about personal responsibility and that the breakdown of families needed attention.
That discussion hasn't produced clear answers or a new social movement. It's too early. What should be clear is that parenting is under siege from all sides. But when it happens to poor blacks and other minorities, the breakdown tends to produce racial isolation and exacerbate inequality.
I don't have all the answers. But we can start by helping the poor to help themselves. If it's at church, fine. If it means more government assistance without fostering dependence, so be it. After the rhetoric is gone, it's our own actions that will make the real difference.
JOE RODRIGUEZ is a columnist for the San Jose Mercury News. Write to him at [email protected] or at San Jose Mercury News, 750 Ridder Park Drive, San Jose, CA 95190-0001.

Posted by Janet (not written by Janet)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 862 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:03 pm
When I first heard about Bill Cosby's speech against blacks, I used to think how arrogant. Now, I'm more on his side than not. He's trying his best to get blacks to do something about poverty. The statistics prove that blacks continue to fall behind in education which is the key to improve their lives. We all need to help them to participate in the American Dream.
0 Replies

fdrhs

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:55 pm
ok
Yes, blacks and hispanics, it seems, just dislike school. They are more into party, drinking, etc. In fairness to hard working minorities, I must say that there are those who really come to America to fulfill their American dream. It is also correct to say that racism continues to be a major reason why most minorities do not try to move ahead.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:38 pm
I agree with Bill Crosby. It is time for the minority community to come face to face with the truth. As for assistance what do you call affirmative action, welfare, housing projects, school lunch programs, busing and etc. It is time to stop blaming society and to take responsibility. That is what Cosby is preaching.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
Bill Cosby has had the courage to say something that is true, but politically incorrect. I applaud him!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:19 pm
Phoenix32890
The truth can never or at least should never be considered politically incorrect.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:59 am
I have, since day one, supported and cheered on Cosby and his comments.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:24 am
I once thought Cosby very funny, not so much anymore. Give someone a ED D and they think that what they say means something. Hes fallen into the simplistic trap of dipping his material sources from the same "everything is individual responsibility" which other writers like Ann Coulter get their stuff.
Of course personal responsibility needs stepping up,we dont deny that. Parents of black kids need to be a cohesive force (also easy to say, the problem is in execution) however the distrust of the mainstream population, by even the wealthy blacks , is not a figment of someones imagination. I have a black partner who will not drive through certain areas of Philly or Dc (even though these are black areas and are short cuts to our meetings). He keeps a jounal of almost daily affronts to him as a human by folks in usinesses and merchants and especially law enforcement. (He had his car searched many times so that now, in the field areas, he usually drives an old clunker that is less apt to darw attention than an Escalade.) I had an admin assistant who got busted for "driving while black" in a little racist town of MD. Many b lacks feel unimpowered and almost socally naked in areas that the police protection and the rules dont apply to them. This is a fact that we have to address and then maybe the rest of Cosby's stuff will be true.

Cosby is an icon, hes like a black Ben Franklin, hes never gonna be accosted with the "wall of rules" that separate most blacks from the mainstream. Ive seen it in action among rather wealthy blacks who, in circumstnces of the everyday wold, are denied full equality in areas that we all take for granted . Im a white guy and Im often surprised at what I see.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:46 am
farmerman, I've always maintained that discrimination and racial bigotry is alive and well in the US. The experiences of your partner and your observations are proof positive, but many in this country still think we have "equal opportunity" in this country. Not so. That's the reason why I think Bill Cosby's message is needed: to also educate the majority that some minorities are still discriminated against. His message is a two-edged swort, and it woudl depend on the individual on how they perceive it. Even some blacks will refuse to accept it, but it's a wake up call for all.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:00 am
CI,Im sure, but we can do as much to level the playing field. I had some statistics at home on kids in the sciences . Its interesting to see that black kids have made some of the biggest gains in the last 30 years.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:18 am
I applaud Cosby's comments as well but I wish he would go directly to the source. Brown's commencement ceremony was not the place for such a discussion and I've yet to hear about him making any appearances at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem or the Regal Theatre on Chicago's Southside or anyplace where the audience represents the people he's speaking of. And if he really wants to get in somebody's ass and make his point loud and clear, he ought to direct his comments to his own industry, the entertainment industry, the MUSIC industry in particular. Jump up in Snoop Dogg's face or some of these other foul-mouthed rappers who promote the very lifestyle that he's arguing against.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 11:25 am
That's interesting because my readings of the media seems to show that all students are shying away from the sciences, especially computer science. I think that biological sciences will be the future of developed economies.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 02:48 pm
Sure prejudice and bigotry exists, both racial and religious. However, that is no excuse for parents not parenting. The conditions Cosby speaks of is just as evident in NYC where race is no barrier as it is in the deep south. It is time for many in the black community to stop using race as an excuse and take the bull by the horns.I believe that is Cosby's message.
0 Replies