Smoking can damage your DNA

Badboy

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:20 am
I believe that I have heard that it can alter your DNA.

MUST LOG OFF,I AM WANTED.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 807 • Replies: 8
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 10:21 pm
Re: Smoking can damage your DNA
Badboy wrote:
I believe that I have heard that it can alter your DNA.

MUST LOG OFF,I AM WANTED.

I'm not a smoker, and I don't know where you got your information, but that would not surprise me.

Pretty much everything today can hurt you. The air, water, and food are polluted, and we eat it. Many of the medications given to people today is questionable.

One minute you hear that something is good for you, then they are telling it's bad. The food pyramid has been changed.

I rarely go to a doctor, I don't believe in vitamins, I don't even use aspirins. When I have to see a doctor for a check up because of job requirements they usually tell me I'm a very healthy person. I tell them it's because I keep away from you guys, and he laughs, and tells me I may be right.

Now, don't get me wrong I know that some people are really sick and need the attention of doctors, and many do find help with them.

This past weekend me and a few of my friends were trying to prevent a young teenage girl from committing suicide. She was on medications for her emotional problems, and she was saying that they were not helping her that they made her feel worse. She said she went to her parents, her priest, and her doctor, and no one was listening to her. This situation reminded of the eleven or more medications that had to be given a warning lavel that the medication can cause you to commit suicide any way something like that.

Many old people are over medicated too in, and out of institutions.

You have to use your own judgment on what you eat, what type of medical services you will use, and even where you will live.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:27 am
Badboy, practically everything damages or alters your DNA. Free radicals from smoked food, viruses that invade your system on a daily basis, UV rays from the sun, background radiation that you can't escape, poisons that you ingest along with your food that sits in your colon for hours on end, mistakes made during cell generation, and, of course, natural decay.

Normally, this isn't a problem -- your body is fairly resilient to any changes. The damage can do absolutely nothing, or it can kill the cell. It can make minor changes like those discolorations that we call "moles" or it can make huge, and possibly lethal changes. This is where DNA damage becomes a problem, because the damage can occur in a portion of the DNA that controls the rate at which the cell reproduces and creates cancer.

This doesn't mean that you should be fearful of any kind of damage. After all, damage to our DNA is what has driven diversification among the species (in fact, without damage to our DNA, we would all be exact duplicates of the original one celled organism). However, it does mean that, since you already subject yourself to huge amounts of damage each day, you should try to limit the amount that occurs. And, as much damage that you're already receiving, it doesn't even compare to the rate at which you're destroying your DNA every time you take a puff.

This isn't new information, but I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to expel some information from my brain.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:30 am
I think it may be Alcohol as well.

Perhaps with hindsight one shouldn't be surprised smoking can damage your DNA as it causes cancer,isn't cancer damage to DNA in a kind of way?
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:33 am
NIcotine also prevents parkinsonism.

Nothing relevant to add.

N>B this one benefit doesn't counteract all the health risks associated with smoking.

Damages your DNA? Could you be more specific?

If you are a foetus, alcohol can certainly mess up your DNA, hence Fetal alcohol syndrome.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:20 pm
Anything that causes cancer is mucking about with DNA. That's how it works.

Oxygen damages DNA, too, though our cells are pretty damn good at keeping this in check by now.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:12 am
Exactly my thought.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:22 am
My DNA is so screwed up that smoking could only help. Let me run down to the store and by 10 cartons of Winston.

"Winston tastes good like a cigarette should, when you change to Winston, you change for good." or a number of other jingles. WinstonWinstonWinston
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:36 am
Badboy wrote:
Exactly my thought.

you're right, it was.
0 Replies