Giving up Freedom for Safety - Screener Fired.

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:12 am
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/071305_local_screener.html

Airport screener at Bush fired for his career outside of work

Bassam Khalaf considers himself a rap artist. And until last week, he was also considered a federal employee. Khalaf was a screener at Bush Intercontinental Airport until someone in the federal government found out Khalaf is also known as the "Arabic Assassin" in the rap community. He was quickly fired afterwards.
"I kept my music and my job separate," he told us. "I never brought my music to the job. I was a real good screener. Even the guy who fired me said I was a real good worker."

Khalaf said the firing was unfair because he is only exercising his freedom of speech..

But the federal government apparently didn't approve of his profanity-laced lyrics. That also included threats to blow up buildings with airplanes.

"I'm glad the TSA fired him," said Houston City Councilmember Michael Berry. "I feel safer because of it. This guy calls himself the Arabic Assassin and has lyrics that talks about a plane crashing into a building. He has no business being a screener at the airport."

The TSA wouldn't talk on camera, but told me over the phone that it expects all of its employees to conduct themselves appropriately, whether at work or away form the airports.

"Like I said, I don't intend to do that," said Khalaf. "I don't support terrorism in any way."

"Then why sing about it," we asked.

"It's like entertainment," said Khalaf. "People make movies about it. I should be able to rap about it."

Bassam Khalaf, or Arabic Assassin, can still rap about whatever he wants. He just won't be screening passengers anymore and at least one traveler we talked to is relieved.

"I think it's inappropriate," said Edward Moon. "It shouldn't be allowed. You should act appropriately when you have a job, especially like that."

Khalaf was fired during the standard TSA two-year trial period. Asked what he plans to do next, Khalaf says he's going to look for another job and continue to pursue his rap career.
(Copyright © 2005, KTRK-TV)

So... we pay Ict -T Millions even after his famous Cop Killer album because he is now an actor on Law and Order. We also pay Ice Cube millions after his album Amerikkka's Most Wanted where he talks about killing, smoking down, and sexual relations in the hood because he is a silver screen actor now. We pay Emienem millions despite his album where he kills his pregnat girlfriend and then tortures and kills his mother because he appears a movie.

But, we fire a guy because of an off work persona that is essentially the same. Based on merit this boss told him as he was fired that he had a very favorable review and were it not for his other pursuits he would not be fired.

Should we be allowed to fire a person for excercising thier first amendment right OFF the clock? Is this one of the rights we have no problem giving up as long as nothing gets blown up? Are we better off even if we do?

TTF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 607 • Replies: 7
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:22 am
Ice-T does not work for the TSA.

I agree with the decision to fire this thug.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 06:24 am
Re: Giving up Freedom for Safety - Screener Fired.
thethinkfactory wrote:
Khalaf was a screener at Bush Intercontinental Airport until someone in the federal government found out Khalaf is also known as the "Arabic Assassin"...But the federal government apparently didn't approve of his profanity-laced lyrics. That also included threats to blow up buildings with airplanes...Should we be allowed to fire a person for excercising thier first amendment right OFF the clock?...TTF

You are a fool, and it is a good thing that more sensible people are, for the most part, in charge of defense and security.

<For the censors: Sorry, but I believe that comment is germane to the issue.>
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:14 am
Woiyo:

Admit that you had heard nothing of this gentlemen before my link. You know nothing of the case, what he said (other than what is in the article) and yet you are completley fine with agreeing with his firing (despite it's perhaps unconstitutionality) and labelling him a thug. Thou shall judge apperantly - based on little evidence.

Brandon:

That is your total argument is that I am a fool? Then you argue that calling me a fool is pertainant? Impressive.

TTF
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:21 am
Heard all about him, read all about him. I do not trust him as a TSA employee based upon his "other" profession and his statements.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:06 am
Would you want your child's teacher to work as a nude lap dancer on the weekends? I think that this guy's music job WAS incompatible with his screener job. I think that his firing was perfectly appropriate.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 06:29 pm
The other rappers you spoke of weren't federal employees. If they were federal employees then I would support their being fired as well.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 06:56 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
....Brandon:

That is your total argument is that I am a fool? Then you argue that calling me a fool is pertainant? Impressive.

TTF

pertinent
0 Replies