The Trump Pardons

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 07:15 am
So Trump is pardoning like mad on his way out, I thought we could have a thread to discuss the new ones or even the old ones.

Trump looks out for his base by pardoning Bannon:

Trump Pardons Steve Bannon For Involvement In Scheme To Fleece Trump Supporters
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,277 • Replies: 32
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 07:34 am
@engineer,
His base were the ones Bannon ripped off.

And the ones who stormed the capitol and Trump doesn’t look like pardoning any of them. It’s not like have any money, they’ve served their purpose, now they can be thrown under the bus.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 08:19 am
I don't know how it could be legally set up but I don't think a president should be allowed to pardon criminal associates who are basically being rewarded for not spilling the incriminating information they have on him. I get the feeling that both Stone and Manafort knew damn well they'd be getting pardons and felt they really didn't have to be very forthcoming when testifying in court.
engineer

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 08:38 am
@hightor,
Of course he let Manafort hang for a long time. Manafort has served jail time, right?
hightor

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 08:46 am
@engineer,
Yeah, Manafort served some time — but he never wiped the smirk off his face.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 09:37 am
Manafort was pardoned? Cool. I haven't been following the news too closely so hadn't heard that.

No self-pardon though? Big mistake IMO if that is correct.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 09:52 am
@oralloy,
Reportedly Trump followed the advice of his staff not to give admission of guilt.

Corruption, however, does not seem to be that severe for Trump.
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 10:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I didn't say that he should admit guilt. Of course he shouldn't do that.

What I said is that he should self-pardon.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 11:03 am
He can’t do any more pardoning now, the rioters are going to prison.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 11:12 am
Trump wasn't stupid enough to try to pardon himself.

I think he fades away... I don't think there is much future public life for Trump.
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 11:17 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
He can’t do any more pardoning now, the rioters are going to prison.

Progressives are intolerant and vicious, but I'll be surprised if any peaceful protesters end up in prison. America has a system of courts to protect people's rights.

The handful of protesters who murdered the police officer will likely see prison though.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 11:36 am
@oralloy,
Those protesters did break and enter into a federal building, which is an illegal act.

According to Trump himself, anyone who vandalized federal buildings should serve 10 years in prison.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/us-capitol-riots-trump-protests-b1783810.html
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:05 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
You can't come up with any sort of argument why a self-pardon is a bad idea.

He doesn't have to. Firstly because, as most of us can see rather plainly by now, you're really not worth engaging in discussion. Secondly, anyone (except a mentally-challenged person) can reason that such a power would put any president above the law. We elect presidents; we are not subject to a monarch.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:16 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
You can't come up with any sort of argument why a self-pardon is a bad idea.

He doesn't have to. Firstly because, as most of us can see rather plainly by now, you're really not worth engaging in discussion. Secondly, anyone (except a mentally-challenged person) can reason that such a power would put any president above the law. We elect presidents; we are not subject to a monarch.

You are responding to Oralloy's comment to me when I chose not to. It's not worth it.

There are far too many pages of people responding to Oralloy.

hightor

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
It's not worth it.

You're right, max. Ironically, that's the gist of my comment.

I try to avoid having actual discussions with the guy but I'm not above making an occasional pointed comment, especially when he leaves himself wide open. I'll try to do better.
BillW

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 12:35 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I don't know how it could be legally set up but I don't think a president should be allowed to pardon criminal associates who are basically being rewarded for not spilling the incriminating information they have on him. I get the feeling that both Stone and Manafort knew damn well they'd be getting pardons and felt they really didn't have to be very forthcoming when testifying in court.

Now, a prosecutor can go to any one of them and ask questions about Trump or anything(one)else and they must answer. If they don't answer or lie they are criminally liable!
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 01:08 pm
@BillW,
Not quite. They can still take the Fifth.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 01:10 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
He doesn't have to.

True. He doesn't have to back up his claims.

But Max's failure to back up his claims shows that he is exactly the fraud that I say he is.

hightor wrote:
Firstly because, as most of us can see rather plainly by now, you're really not worth engaging in discussion.

You are being dishonest here. You would love to be able to prove my claims wrong. You are just not capable of doing it.

hightor wrote:
Secondly, anyone (except a mentally-challenged person) can reason that such a power would put any president above the law.

Someone with your meager intellect really has no place deriding others' intelligence.

Such a power would not place presidents above the law. They are still subject to impeachment by Congress.

hightor wrote:
We elect presidents; we are not subject to a monarch.

It's not like you even know the difference.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Jan, 2021 01:11 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It's not worth it.

More like you're not capable of it. You run and hide when people post facts.

maxdancona wrote:
There are far too many pages of people responding to Oralloy.

There is nothing that progressives hate more than an honest discussion of facts.
0 Replies