NO means NO you endless ball of energy.

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:48 pm
No, no, no, no , no , no , no , no, no, no
I sound like a damn broken record.
I think the word sinks in Confused
I can tell it sinks in.
But , then , when I use it, the responce is
" look at mom, laugh, and do it anyways. '
'Laugh when she continues to say no, or re-direct me, then run back and do it again "

GRRRRRRRRR Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,701 • Replies: 23
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:49 pm
just wait until next year when it's HER most favorite word.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:52 pm
NO!
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:53 pm
MY daughter is perfectly behaved. When I tell her no, she says "I want to do this, but I respect you, Father, and I will restrain myself."
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:54 pm
>sigh<

I dont raise my voice, simply because there is no danger in the small things she is doing.
But ... ohh my god.. I feel like screaming
NO NO NO NO NO .
Laughing

HER favorite word?
oh gosh save me now
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 03:54 pm
Mine just pretend to not hear me. Actually lately, they've taken to walking around the house with headphones on so they no longer have to pretend.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:01 pm
Actually, we've got some problems with ours... when it's bedtime, she shakes her head no, and if we put her to bed anyway she screams for hours, literally. She doesn't get tired until about 2 in the morning, and if we put her to bed at a decent time she'll stay awake screaming until two in the morning. So it doesn't even seem worth trying. Then she wakes up early too! Argh!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:22 pm
Sorry, I thought this was directed at me...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:33 pm
Laughing pd. no no. bad dog.

Sc- 2am??
Are you serious??
How long has this been going on?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:34 pm
J_B wrote:
Mine just pretend to not hear me. Actually lately, they've taken to walking around the house with headphones on so they no longer have to pretend.

if it were not for teenage hormones, i would almost wish that behavior for Bean right about now..... Confused
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:36 pm
so far I have broken all my self imposed dicipline rules.

1) not saying NO all the time...
2) dont raise the voice
3) ignoring small things
4) reacting before she cries..

ALL OF THEM broken..in what seems like a span of 3 weeks.

How do you teach NO the right way? Or -
do you not rely on the word NO to mean - get down - , or -stop-, or what ever else you want....?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:40 pm
LOL! I just got off the phone with boy cub who is 14, who has been at friends house all afternoon. Wanted to know if he could go to another friends house.

I said no.

He said Why

I said you need to come home.

He said why. I 'm just wanting to go to J's.

I said you need to come home. Friends Mom said she would bring you home, so come home.

He said, I know but she's also taking J home so I could...

NNNNNOOOOO!

(At least Bean can't do all that ... yet!) Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 06:46 pm
Laughing
so true ........ SO true..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:31 pm
I once had a lovely neighbor from London. She taught her kids not to touch ornaments. Everything became ornamental.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:55 am
HA!

i wonder how she pulled THAT off.. Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:58 am
Cripes, imagine what that kids tree looked like at Christmas when he finally grew up!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:23 am
Is 1 1/2 ( actually 14 months ) too young to expect them to grasp the concept of words like No and Stop?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:45 am
The concept, sure, but doesn't mean she'll listen.

What I remember best from that age is creating no-free environments, and redirection.

The first means having some room or area where there is as little danger as possible. Let her go crazy there.

When the "no"s were too fast and furious, I'd take her to the baby area of the local children's museum, where she really could go crazy.

The second is that if the no's were coming fast and furious, I'd start with redirection (which takes more energy) -- if she was trying to drag the lamp off the side table, rather than saying "no" yet again (assuming she already knew she wasn't supposed to), I'd gasp and say "LOOK!" and run into the other room. She'd toddle after me, and I'd start a stuffed animal monologue or pretend to see a dragon or start a chasing game or something.

Dr. Sears, again, "18 Ways to Say No" (first three):

Quote:

All 18 of 'em here:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/6/t061100.asp
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 07:58 am
NO!

Laughing

Seriously, she can understand no. She is putting together what is okay / not okay at this time. She is seeing what she can / cannot do. Not a testing, like teens will do, but more of an exploration.

Try thinking like a 14 month old. She doesn't have any real knowledge of the world. There's these little things on the walls with holes in them. I wonder what they do or where the holes go to. I mean, I see a hole on the ground and there are little bugs that come out. Maybe this is where little bugs live... I'll stick something in there to see if they will come out to play.

Shocked Crimeny! That got a major reaction outta Mom!!! What the heck is she jumpin around like that for? Her arms went swingin and she came running towards me. OMG! She looked really funny! I wonder if I can get her to do that again. Let's see... What did I do to make her dance like that? Oh, yeah, I remember...

See? Bean doesn't know what all this is about. She knows she explores something and you react. Sometimes your reaction might make her want you to do that again.

She understands when you say "NO" you want her to not do something, but gosh, that dance was really funny. Who could resist? She understands that she doesn't want you to yell, or say she can't do something, but she's really just trying to figure out her world. (We all know this is Beans world and she's just allowing us to live in it, right?)

Basically, she's exploring. She doesn't know about gravity, or that glass will break or that the holes in the walls will "bite" if you stick something in them. But, she's learning.

Maybe you could switch from "No" to "hurt."

When she goes to pick up something fragile, tell her "This will break. We don't want to hurt it." When she is getting ready to do something that may hurt her, say "That might hurt you. We don't want you to get hurt."

Kinda depends on the language you already use with her. If you say booboo instead of hurt, and she understands booboo, then use the word she knows.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:44 am
sozobe wrote:
The concept, sure, but doesn't mean she'll listen.

What I remember best from that age is creating no-free environments, and redirection.

The first means having some room or area where there is as little danger as possible. Let her go crazy there.

We have one of those.
We took the downstairs den and made it into a combo playroom - office.
across the middle of the room is a couch that faces the swinging doors. to the side of the couch is her play pin. It creates a 'wall' to enclose a play area for her. The play pen also doubles as toy storage.
There is nothing else in the room aside from some HUGE bookcases wich are closed and too heavy for even me to pull over. Completely safe , 99.9999% no free zone... except for the couch.
I dont want her playing on the couch because she is tall enough that if she stood up and pushed her self backwards, she would hit her head on the concrete floor behind it. When I am sitting on the couch, it is ok for her to be up here with me. When noone is up there, the couch is a NO zone.
This 'no zone' is becoming a game and she is getting more and more excited about sneaking up on it when I am a few feet away or when i am covered in toys and crayons on the floor and she knows I cant get up as fast as she can get to the couch. ( hehehe )

sozobe wrote:

The second is that if the no's were coming fast and furious, I'd start with redirection (which takes more energy) -- if she was trying to drag the lamp off the side table, rather than saying "no" yet again (assuming she already knew she wasn't supposed to), I'd gasp and say "LOOK!" and run into the other room. She'd toddle after me, and I'd start a stuffed animal monologue or pretend to see a dragon or start a chasing game or something.

That is a good suggestion.
In the play area downstairs there is also a HUGE window where we can watch birds take dust bathes, see the mail man , watch people walk thier dogs...etc. AND it is right next to the couch.. she would have to get down to see out the window.
0 Replies