Sunny Days Ahead for GOP!!!

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:11 am
The Washington Times

Sunny days ahead for GOP as population shifts south

By Donald Lambro
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published July 11, 2005
Migration from liberal bastions in the Northeast and Midwest to the Sun Belt states will boost Republican electoral strength in the coming decade, making it tougher than ever for Democrats to win the presidency without carrying states in the South or Southwest.
    The Census Bureau's latest projection of population shifts, the first in eight years, shows a dramatic movement from the North to Southern and Western states over the next 30 years. The study points to a political movement as well.
    Heavily Democratic states such as New York, New Jersey, Illinois and Michigan will go on losing congressional seats and thus electoral strength in presidential elections, political analysts say. At the same time, they say, Republican states such as Florida, Texas, Arizona, Georgia and Nevada likely will gain congressional and electoral clout.
    "The net beneficiary of this will continue to be the Republican Party because the population shift is moving into an environment that is heavily dominated by the Republicans," says Merle Black, a professor of politics and government at Emory University and author of books on political shifts in the South.
    "In the 2002 and 2004 exit polls, we saw for the first time a majority of Southern white voters identifying themselves as Republicans and Democratic identification falling to a low 20 [percent] to 25 percent," Mr. Black says.
    This doesn't mean that Democrats cannot win, but population shifts give the GOP "a long-term structural advantage," he says, "and assuming they nominate credible candidates, they start with a strong base."
    He adds: "The Republicans will continue to be the dominant party in the South for the foreseeable future."
    Census Bureau projections show significant population shifts over the next three decades. The share of Americans living in the Northeast and Midwest will fall from 42 percent to 35 percent of the population, while the South and West will rise from 58 percent to 65 percent.
    Among the 10 most populated states, Democrat-leaning Michigan and New Jersey will be supplanted by heavily Republican and fast-growing Arizona and North Carolina.
     Ohio, a pivotal swing state in presidential races, will drop from seventh to ninth place in population, while Republican-rich Georgia will move up from 10th to eighth.
    Over a shorter term, Florida is expected to pass New York and move into third place by 2011, with California and Texas remaining in first and second, respectively. California, Florida and Texas are expected to grow by more than 12 million in population and will account for 46 percent of the growth between 2000 and 2030.
    Overall, the South's population is projected to grow by 42.9 percent and the West by 45.8 percent, at the expense of the Midwest (9.5 percent) and the Northeast (7.6 percent).
    Some analysts of political demographics question whether the shift to the South and West necessarily will mean long-term gains for Republicans.
    "The people moving to the Carolinas are from the blue [Democratic] states to a large degree," says William H. Frey, a population analyst at the Brookings Institution. "They are coming from the Midwest, from New Jersey and New York, and they are going to bring with them certainly Southern fiscal values but also maybe Northern social values."
    Florida, where population growth increasingly hails from heavily Democratic states in the North, will turn into a more fierce political battleground as it becomes more socially diverse, Mr. Frey suggests.
    "They are getting younger, more mainstream suburbanites from the Northeast in Orlando and Tampa, but also more diverse, minority immigrant populations, all of which are different from the Florida we've seen in the past," he says.
    But Mr. Black thinks this increased diversity may not be enough to change the long-term political makeup of the South, which, if anything, has become even more Republican.
    "If you look at younger white voters in the South, they are even more Republican than the older white voters," he says. "As these younger white voters age, they are going to be even more cohesively Republican than their predecessors.
    "So you could have more Democrats moving in from outside, but if the native population in the South becomes even more Republican, that may not lead to the diminishment of the GOP in the South."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20050711-122338-7499r.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,737 • Replies: 26
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:13 am
When was the pep rally, yesterday? How come I never get the invitations?

Maybe, though, what we are seeing is a liberal invasion of the south.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 11:07 am
Could be, Freeduck.

Could also be more and more Dems are deserting a sinking ship.

A friend of mine who was a Democrat for just a bit longer than I've been alive said he left the Dem party because he'd "had enough of their depressive, victimist garbage".

And, don't get him started on Hillary, LOL!

If you're right, though, there won't be a need for the Dems to trot out their campaign to abolish the Electoral College...which they seem to do on a regular basis Smile
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:35 pm
FreeDuck wrote:

wouldn't surprise me, duck. and they'd find that they weren't all on their own to boot. there are conservative counties and liberal counties (or areas, whatever...), just like in california.

some make the mistake of thinking that everyone in the south is an evangelical-christian, conservative republican and liberal hater. when i was growing up, and even now when i visit the folks, southerners are still mostly regular folks who get embarassed by their stupid redneck relatives and neighbors.

if ya're headin' on down to dine on a steady diet of nascar and stale budweiser, ya might wanna visit first.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:41 pm
there are ineed Sunny days ahead for the GOP, most prisons call them "exercise periods"
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:53 pm
dyslexia wrote:
there are ineed Sunny days ahead for the GOP, most prisons call them "exercise periods"

Laughing Laughing

or chain gangs...

rove: "drink a' water boss?"
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:16 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

wouldn't surprise me, duck. and they'd find that they weren't all on their own to boot. there are conservative counties and liberal counties (or areas, whatever...), just like in california.

some make the mistake of thinking that everyone in the south is an evangelical-christian, conservative republican and liberal hater. when i was growing up, and even now when i visit the folks, southerners are still mostly regular folks who get embarassed by their stupid redneck relatives and neighbors.

if ya're headin' on down to dine on a steady diet of nascar and stale budweiser, ya might wanna visit first.

Smile Just about all the southerners I've met are the nicest people and willing to help you, no matter what. (I love Louisville in May...Derby parties, you know Smile)

What I really think is that people who migrate mostly move away from where they're dissatisfied to where they'll feel more satisfied. And, the ones who move to say, Texas (except maybe Austin LOL), are the ones less likely to be freaked by the local Texas politics to begin with.

It's possible and even likely that Northerners who've moved south to Florida have remained Democrats, but now vote Republican, and I think what the author is saying is that this trend will continue throughout for some time to come.

PS I have nothing against Austin LOL...I love Austin.

<Lotsa bugs in the South, though>
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:24 pm
I love Austin too - great bookshop there (BookPeople) Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:33 pm
Come out west. John Kerry bumpstickers still adorning fleets of vehicles. I call them diapers.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:47 pm
Quote:
He adds: "The Republicans will continue to be the dominant party in the South for the foreseeable future."

This is like saying water is wet. The best thing that ever happened to the Democratic party was for the Yellow Dog Democrats to leave and become Republicans.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:58 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Come out west. John Kerry bumpstickers still adorning fleets of vehicles. I call them diapers.

LOL..diapers Smile

San Diego is one of my favorite places on earth. I saw tons of "W" stickers on cars there. Very tasteful, thought I Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 06:03 am
I bet most people simply want to move to places where it is less crowded. It's ridiculous to read anything more into it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
The Republicans are giddy from finally being in power. They will latch on to anything.
0 Replies

Scorpia

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:33 pm
Revel,

I agree. And would add - a lot cheaper!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:35 pm
JustWonders wrote:

Smile Just about all the southerners I've met are the nicest people and willing to help you, no matter what. (I love Louisville in May...Derby parties, you know Smile)

man... i gotta tell ya derby week is one hella good time. one of the things i miss the most. go down to the river and watch the paddlewheel races in the day and the submarine races that evening... ahh for the good ol' days. :wink:

southern folks really great. when we hit the old homestead it just blows my wife away. "the people in that store.. they actually talk to you!!!". she does get a little confused though. my kentucky drawl comes back in a couple of hours and mixes with the added east tennessee accent i picked up after we moved down there. by day two, she has no idea what i'm saying.

your take on why people move there is fair enough i suppose. from what a lot of people tell me, getting tired of the cold weather has a lot to do with it. the political part depends on where ya move to though. the east end of louisville is fairly progressive while the south end is still pretty conservative once ya get away from u of l.

and here i sit in so. cal. i'm depressed now... Confused
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:40 pm
revel wrote:
I bet most people simply want to move to places where it is less crowded. It's ridiculous to read anything more into it.

you know it. for the first 18 years of my life, all i wanted to do was get out of the country. now, living next to mister kiefer's farm seems good more days than not. even with his constant complaining that our band rehearsals messed with his milk cow's heads.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:56 pm
i do know housing prices are significantly lower in Texas. That is why we considered moving back to Austin. no way that is true though for florida...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:09 pm
revel wrote:

Yep, and cheaper and warmer. I'm considering a move down the way myself, though I'm from those parts originally so it's not exactly a migration.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:19 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
revel wrote:

Yep, and cheaper and warmer. I'm considering a move down the way myself, though I'm from those parts originally so it's not exactly a migration.

what neck o' the woods were ya hatched in duck ?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:23 pm
I was hatched in the sunshine state, but I'm considering a move a little north of there. I have a very large extended family in Georgia (where my dad hails from) and have always loved the tall trees.
0 Replies