Bad Mother of the Day Award

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:02 am
I leave the house this morning. My older daughter who loved camp yesterday is complaining that she does not want to go today. I am in a rush (usual) and tell her to stop whining.

I drop the younger daughter at grandmom's and her older sis decides she needs to use the bathroom. She is taking waaaaaay too long. I tell her to hurry since I think she is procrastinating.

We are late now and of course traffic is horrible. My daughter starts complaining that her tummy hurts. I say you are just trying to avoid going to camp. She has pulled this stunt before to avoid going to school. She continues to whine. I swear under my breath. Doesn't anyone take vacation in the summer? In the summer, traffic should be better, not worse. I try taking a few short cuts that only end up taking more time. I am so bad that my daughter tells me to be patient.

Finally we are close to the camp. I hit every red light and continue swearing under my breath. My daughter continues whining and complaining of a tummy ache. I tell her, she has said the same thing when she didn't want to go to school. Next thing I hear is some horrible retching. My daughter getting sick in the back seat. I pull over, there are only a few napkins in the glove compartment.

So now I am home - guilt-ridden and a 6 year old in bed. I am a horrible mother.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,283 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:07 am
What happened?

I got the award yesterday. Sozlet was having some pudding and she was just being very annoying about how she was licking the spoon with every bite. I can't describe why -- since this was a bad mother moment, it wasn't any true objective annoyingness, it was just annoying ME. I asked her to just eat like a normal person, and she didn't, and I got mad. About eating pudding. Sigh.

<It was REALLY irritating, though!!!!>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:19 am
Oh boy, do I ever need this thread. What's the story, Linkat? I couldn't find it. I got the award this morning. I stubbed my toe on a piece of furniture this morning, and as I'm hopping away my son is following me around trying desperately to tell me about how his father has allowed him to watch a pokemon show, and he won't, shut, up. So I yelled "Ducky, this is a really bad time can you just try sometimes to use your eyes before you open your mouth?!?" This is something of a pet peeve with him as he often asks questions when the answers are visibly evident. Like, "did you finish putting the tent up yet?" when it's laying flat and wrinkled on the ground still and he's looking right at it.

Poor kid, he was just so excited, about pokemon and the tent.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:23 am
Sorry I posted one and then hit the submit button twice and saw two postings. I edited the second. Then the second mysterously disappeared.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:24 am
I still beat today. Not a proud winning though. I re-edited.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 09:57 am
Aw, don't worry Linkat. It happens to the best of us. You have the whole day now to make it up to her.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:29 am
Awww. This is probably the very reason "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" was first created...

Hope she feels better soon.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 10:31 am
I was thinking the same thing about crying wolf. Something we talk about in my house a lot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:28 pm
I have talk to her about this story before.

Well I guess she is not feeling so bad. After sleeping a couple of hours, she asked for an egg sandwich. She brought her pillow in the living room and I allowed her to eat it on a tray while watching a video. After eating the sandwich she was still hungry so she had some fruit. Then she wanted to go outside and play. I told her that she couldn't since she was sick. She then thought and said I wonder if they are going swimming again at camp. She looked at me and asked if she could go to camp.

Fortunately the camp is not far from my house. I called them up to make sure they would be alright with it and so she is now at camp, while I have an hour or two by myself.

Now I feel guilty not being at work.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 12:32 pm
If it were not for winning the occasional BAD mother award, you wouldnt realize how to be a GOOD mother. ;-)

funny how little things can annoy the s**t outta ya so bad that you loose your mind in a second, yet when times get really tough, your patience is a thousand miles long.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
Great point shewolfnm. I was losing my patience like crazy and the minute she got sick everything changed.

I didn't even bother me to clean out the car when I got home. I had to take out both car seats and wipe everything out and disinfect.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:05 am
Well, today was much better. My daughter felt better - I gave her an incentive to go to camp - I packed a lunchable - which she always begs for, but for obvious reasons I never allow her to have.

I decided to lighten up and give her a lunchable once a week. At least it was one with lean turkey and the least junk in it. I also added fresh fruit and other better snacks.

When we were driving she mentioned how yesterday I got lost (trying to take a short cut and avoid traffic this happened for a short time). I told her I was sorry for losing my patience yesterday and that even adults say and do things that they shouldn't some times. I then said isn't today a much nicer morning - which it was for both of us.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:31 am
:-)

GOOD MOMMY AWARD NUMBER 1,000,000 !
awarded to you.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 08:41 am
Thank you! I feel much better today!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 04:14 pm
Remember, children need to learn that dearly loved adults are no superhuman and that everyone--including mommie--falls short of the ideal.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2022 02:55 pm
I just asked my now young adult daughter if she remembers this...she said yeah...I then asked if she is scarred for life ...she looked at me oddly and said no.

So I guess I didn't mess her up too badly.
roger

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2022 03:06 pm
@Linkat,
Sure glad to see it only took 15 years to figure that out.
Linkat

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2022 08:30 am
@roger,
I'm slow but I eventually I catch on.
0 Replies