Which to Buy

gollum

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 04:04 pm
I have never used a cellphone. I rely on my home landline.

I have finally admitted defeat and will join the 21st Century. That is, I intend to buy a Smartphone.

Now I have to decide which one to buy. I'm told that I need to first decide whether to buy an Android or an iPhone.

I need to be able to make and receive phone calls from wherever I am, which is generally in New York City.

I also wish to be able to access my Gmail inbox, which I presently access on my home PC.

Any recommendations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 722 • Replies: 6
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 04:13 pm
@gollum,
What do you want to do on your phone? If you want to make calls and send text messages, I would go Android if only because there are more options at the low end of the spectrum. Apple products tend to be high end/expensive but there are a lot of decent low end Android phones as well as extremely high end products if you decide to upgrade in the future.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 04:28 pm
@gollum,
I'd recommend going with an Android.

Accessing email and other things, such as newspapers, youtube, Netflix, dictionaries, etc. can be done on any smartphone.

Apart from the functionality of a particular sort of smartphone (android vs. Apple), you should do some research. This means looking at the several different providers. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint and others. Cost of either a pay-as-you go phone or monthly plan. Call coverage - are there areas where signals are weak. Internet access, including how many mbs or gbs are included in the monthly charge (after which, costs may rise substantially)

I have an android, no troubles. Coverage through AT&T.
gollum

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2020 04:55 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis-

Thank you
engineer

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 07:53 am
@gollum,
If you decide Android, read this article on inexpensive Android phones.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2020 08:32 am
Think of the difference between Apple Macintosh vs Microsoft Windows for personal computers.

iPhone vs Android is pretty much the same thing. Apple provides the hardware and the operating system, and they exert control over what software can be used. This makes for a more limited selection of software options. However, they do have a good software option for pretty much anything you'd want to do. And the software tends to be well made. The whole system is well designed, and everything works together well.

With Android, Google provides the operating system (much like Microsoft provides Windows), and third parties produce their own hardware and software that is compatible with the operating system. There is much more variety but also much less regulation.

So if you prefer Microsoft Windows on your PC, you may prefer Android on your phone. But if you like your PCs in the Macintosh flavor, the iPhone is probably the phone for you.

-----------------------------------

Apple offers lower priced versions of their iPhone as well, so if you want a low-priced phone that's no reason to exclude Apple.

If you decide you want to go with Android on your phone, note that Samsung tends to make the best Android phones. All the other Android brands are always trying to catch up with Samsung, and they never quite make it.

Perhaps Samsung's Android superiority only matters if you are going for the expensive top of the line models. I'm not sure about that because I've not really looked into lower-priced Android phones. But definitely make sure to give Samsung a look if you choose to go the Android route. Just as with Apple, Samsung also offers lower-priced models.
gollum

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2020 06:44 am
@oralloy,
oralloy-

Thank you
0 Replies