Smartphones and USB C charging.

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 09:56 am
I have a Google Pixel 3XL (the previous flagship Google phone where the newest one coming out will be the Pixel 4XL soon enough).

I haven't had it for a year. No. Less than that. I bought the Pixel 3XL on New Years Eve 2018. Got it a month or so after that.

Soon after getting it, I ran into the problem of not being able to charge it (or ... more accurately ... having a difficult time charging the phone). The difficulty being the connection between the USB C port and the charging cable. I would have to reset (pull out the cable, replug it back into the port) the wire and do it so the power connection remained unmoved. Frustrating as it was so sensitive to the slightest bump. So? I got Google to take back the phone as it was taking tens of minutes at a time trying to daintily keep the phone properly plugged in and in its charging state.

They sent me a refurbished phone. All seemed well for many months. And now I have the same problem with the phone.

My question? Is the Pixel 3XL the issue or do other people have this charging problem with other phones that have the USB C standard of ports and cables?

It's not as bad ... so far as my first 3XL. But I'm getting pissed. I mean if Google had a brick and mortar store, I would take the phone in and get some answers from a person IRL. Jumping threw hoops online to get answers at this point? I'll have to buck up and see what my options are.

I don't and cannot recommend Google Fi or the Pixel. Not sure if the latest Pixel 4 will be the problem but I won't buy that or a Google phone in the future (unless I get some answers on this charging problem and that it's an isolated coincidence between the two phones I've owned).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,685 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
blatham
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 10:06 am
@tsarstepan,
I've had regular and predictable charging problems with my various iPhones due to fluff getting lodged in the phone's charging port. Cleaning the port carefully with a sharp toothpick and blasts of air are temporary solutions. My new model has wireless charging capacity so that solves the problem when I'm home. But to prevent the cause (in case I'm travelling) I've cut a small piece of dense foam and stuffed it in the port.

Of course, none of this will matter when you, I and Pat Roberts ascend to be with Jesus.

Which gets me wondering if new versions of the Holy Bible will include a note that Heaven has WiFi. Even God has to advertise.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 10:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I've had regular and predictable charging problems with my various iPhones due to fluff getting lodged in the phone's charging port. Cleaning the port carefully with a sharp toothpick and blasts of air are temporary solutions.

That's an avenue I can look into. Thanks.

Quote:
My new model has wireless charging capacity so that solves the problem when I'm home.

That might be the best avenue to investigate. Many hugs for this (should have been) obvious turns of advice.
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 11:04 am
@tsarstepan,
I have no idea whether your phone has the capacity for wireless charging but easy enough to find out. But give the cleaning a try, I suspect it will solve your problem.

Vigorous hugs always welcome.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 11:30 am
@blatham,
It does have the wireless capacity. I will buy one of the chargers for home (where I have the biggest problem charging wise). And if I need charging here? I'll ask a coworker to use his wireless charger.

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Oct, 2019 11:34 am
@tsarstepan,
Smooth sailing from here on out. My work is done (as he rides off into the Monument Valley sunset on his magnificent steed, Buttons).
0 Replies