3

Rejection Over Coronavirus?

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:23 am
Have any you experienced rejection by others because you weren't clean enough or didn't follow the rules or "the science"?

I ask because I haven't worn a mask since this COVID-19 thing. And not likely to, because I literally start hyperventilating when I do. I think I have some phobia about suffocating.
As a result, I am likely to be left at the door this Thanksgiving because my sister is a germaphobe and fully buys into this disease. I do know that relationships have completely broken down. I've lost friends, I've had people tell me I'm an idiot, or "why don't you just wear a mask?" Fine, why don't you go have a spider or a snake climb on you, or go climb up on a Ferris wheel to prove you aren't afraid of heights or falling. No? Then I won't put up with that either.

No, I am not a superspreader. No, I do not go out and get people sick then cackle maniacally. I don't go anywhere that I'm not welcomed inside. Which is damned few places honestly. So if she says no, I'm gonna insist on spending the rest of the night in the car. Not having any turkey, not getting to meet my nephew and niece, just sitting alone the whole night in a cold car, reading books until I can't anymore, crying myself to sleep.

This whole thing is not Biblical. In fact, the Bible specifically says that none of us are supposed to go around being safe. It instead talks about taking up ones cross and being willing to endure suffering. It talks about how Sodom and Gomorrah are nuked by brimstone after they treat guests poorly and try to rape them.
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
I think Micah talks about doing justice and loving mercy/kindness. Is it just to value safety over your own kin? And Jesus paints a picture of hospitality: feeding the hungry, quenching the thirsty, welcoming the stranger, visiting the imprisoned, and clothing the naked. And he sats that the least of these, how they are treated is a good measure of whether or not Jesus will accept them. And then Revelation talks about people being lukewarm (indifferent) and being spit out, and there's this passage about Jesus standing at the doorway knocking, and if welcomed is going to supper. So maybe I get a Thanksgiving dinner this year, or maybe I'm turned aside and sent away hungry.

I think whenever this thing does end, and people stand in Judgement, they are likely to have alot of explaining to do about how they treated friends and family.

What about you? Will you also tell me how evil I am for not wearing a mask? Or will you welcome me, and try to understand how I've been hurting these last several months being completely cut off from others?

6  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:33 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Wow, you're really passive aggressive.

Sitting in the car? Crying yourself to sleep like a drama queen? Oh FFS. Just don't go in the first place. Problem solved.*

Using the bible to prove your point is, well, I don't know what to do with that.

But be that as it may, if you have a phobia then you have one and that's all there is to it. However, I do wonder how you go to the grocery, unless you're ordering it for delivery (and perhaps you are).

I highly recommend you talk to a doctor on telehealth about your fears and see about getting some treatment for them so that they stop running your life.

And maybe stop dismissing your sister's concerns if you want her to stop dismissing your fears.

*I'm not going to Thanksgiving, either. Neither are a ton of other people this year.

4  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:20 am
@jespah,
She has to remember that if she wants to play Russian Roulette, FINE, , Just dont include others in your game.
She cannot guarantee that she isnt a spreader and would infect others. IT AINT WORTH GETTING INFECTED JUST FOR A TURKEY DINNER> Kinda narcissistic besides "Drama Queen-ish".

I read that tory in the NYT where this guy, just before he died in a covid stupor, still denied that covid was REAL.

Those are people I DO NOT want around me or my family.

RUSSIAN ROULETTE thats what it is.

3  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:22 am
@bulmabriefs144,
My Amish neighbors dont usually wear masks yet they all wear seat-belts in a car. Whats the difference???

1  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 10:06 am
Are they more likely to pay a fine if they don't wear seatbelts?

2  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 10:51 am
@jespah,
if a cop stops you, not wearing abelt is aclass 1 violation in pa now.

4  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 11:00 am
@bulmabriefs144,
These are the facts.

1. Your sister has a genuine fear of Covid-19. There are lots of people who have this fear (not just your sister). Whether you agree the disease is a risk is not the issue. The issue is that you are not showing compassion for your sister.

2. There seems to be a pattern here. You are pushing away your family. You are pushing away your friends. You don't control other people, but you are responsible for your own behavior. Right now you should consider what impact your behavior is having on your relationships with the people around you.

3. The Bible is about compassion caring about other people. I have have found that when I read the Bible it is much more impactful for me to think about what I need to change rather than worrying about what other people are doing. If you are using the Bible to prove how everyone is wronging you, then you are using the Bible wrong.

4. I have studied the Bible quite a bit, and I could give you some relevant scriptures if you would like... I would start with 1Cor 8 where Paul said if other people thought eating meat (or being without a mask) is wrong, you should respect them for the sake of their own conscience.

We could argue science or politics here but that is not the issue. The issue is that your behavior is pushing away your family and relationships you care about. If you want to change this... you are going to have to take responsibility for your own behavior.

laughoutlood

1  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 07:45 pm

You saw me crying in the honda
The tears I shed were tears of sook
I know the meaning of resentment
Now I am reading a good book

Happy sulking in the honda
And people are of one accord
The gathering looks fonder
As they watch me stuck here bored

You will surely find the way home

1  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 08:24 pm
bookmark

Linkat

1  
Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2020 09:51 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
I am sorry you are getting the responses here. I think you deserve a little more understanding. Having a phobia like this you should have more understanding and sympathy . . Just imagine being in a situation where if you cover your nose and mouth it causes you to be so fearful you cannot breathe you have a panic attack and freak out?

Personally I have a mild situation similar to that .. where I have felt I couldn't breathe and freaked out . Now if someone had an extreme case I can see how covering your nose and mouth would be impossible.

So rather than judge this person is irresponsible maybe we should give a little understanding . For the short term could you order in thanksgiving dinner and FaceTime your family ? Could you explain how to our phobia is to the point you cannot wear a mask and function without panicking ?

Long term could you reach out to a therapist ? Most are doing Tele therapy so no need to leave your home.

Again sorry you areally going through this .. it is tough on everyone especially more so for those that struggle with any mental illness.