How could a good God allow suffering?

ctd15

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:05 pm
As a Christian, this is a question I see a lot of people struggle with and wanted to help people answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,023 • Replies: 50
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:13 pm
@ctd15,
ctd15 wrote:

As a Christian, this is a question I see a lot of people struggle with and wanted to help people answer.

Logically speaking, if suffering is something to be deemed "bad," then a good God, by definition, could not allow suffering.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:14 pm
@ctd15,
The theological answer is that he wants humans to have free will and suffering is the result of some of our actions.

Of course, it doesn't make much sense to people who don't believe in the theology because it really isn't all that benevolent. It also doesn't make sense because free will and no suffering are not mutually exclusive. He could have given humans free will and also the inability to suffer. So either way it's a pretty cruel god that man has created, in trying to explain a cruel world.
ctd15

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:15 pm
@InfraBlue,
I understand what you're saying, that is what I've been told many times before, but God suffering to learn from our struggles which will ultimately bring us closer to God.
ctd15

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:17 pm
@Robert Gentel,
He gave us the inability to suffer when He created the world, but ultimately our suffering is a result of sin. Without sin we would not suffer
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:20 pm
@ctd15,
That is the theological line, yes. But again if he is omnipotent he could just make us not have any suffering and still have free will to move "closer" or not to belief in the god. Deciding to use suffering as the tool for this is inherently cruel.

And why does the god need us to believe in him? Is he that narcissistic? To me, as an atheist, it is clear that it is not the god that is so. God did not make man in his image, man made god in our image, just as we anthropomorphize everything (like aliens being human-like bipeds).
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:21 pm
@ctd15,
There's no reason that an omnipotent being must make it so, that is just cruel. Can you not imagine a more benevolent god than that? It's pretty clear that if there is a god he has low empathy for the suffering he allows.
ctd15

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
We suffer because we choose sin over God every single day. Explain why disobedience of His commandments would not result in suffering? Just like a parent punishes a child for disobeying what they say, God allows for suffering because we disobey Him every single day.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:30 pm
@ctd15,
Why does it have to result in suffering? And why should he have rules and commandments in the first place, he could easily be a more live-and-let-live kind of god if he is omnipotent. And an omnipotent god can surely come up with a better schedule of reinforcement than that, it's inherently cruel just like life is.

In any case it's clear you are here to proselytize and not really ask questions so I'll move on. You are wasting your time on me, I do not believe in your god and have heard all the tropes you are repeating already, they aren't going to change my mind or likely anyone else's.
ctd15

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
God created us. Without God, we would not exist. Not only that, He sent his son to die a horrible death for us so we can have salvation. That is why God needs us to believe in Him, He is not at all narcissistic.
0 Replies

ctd15

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
My goal was not to ask questions but to answer them.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 03:52 pm
@ctd15,
Exactly, you are here to preach. You'll have to find a different audience because like most people I find that obnoxious and because you don't have anything to say to me that I haven't heard hundreds of times. You aren't going to convince me to believe in your god and I certainly am not gonna waste time trying to convince you, you can believe whatever you like.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 05:16 pm
@ctd15,
Welcome to a2k, ct

When I saw this, I thought I was in a time warp.
Posted just 2 weeks back:

How can a good God allow suffering

Have you considered the possibility that the God who created us is not the god of this world?
Quote:
. . . the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers . . . (2 Corinthians 4:4)
neologist

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 05:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
. . . He could have given humans free will and also the inability to suffer. . .
He did.
Eliusa

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 05:50 pm
@neologist,
I didn't understand
good will and inability to suffer?
Or an ability to suffer?
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:54 pm
@neologist,
Multiple gods? Neologist the pagan.
neologist

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 07:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
There are gods.
And there is God.
neologist

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 07:24 pm
@Eliusa,
Adam and Eve had a perfect future before them.
Had
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 11:47 pm
@neologist,
I thought you people were monotheists. Now there are gods and God. Throw in J.C. and the Holy Ghost and a few saints and oh yeah the Queen of Heaven and Gabriel and Michael and all the rest of the angels and don't forget your "bad" gods; Satan, Lucifer and all the demons... you've got a regular Pantheon going here!
neologist

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 12:32 am
@TomTomBinks,
I think my definition of (lower case) god may be different from yours.
After all, for some folks, their stomach is their god.
And many folks worship their brains.